So what do you think of Condi being the 1st black President?

Sorry must have been a type-o :rolleyes:

Yeah, I figured as much. The s and the b are so close to each other it's easy to get them mixed up. Let's see, you must be using one of those old-fashioned Turkish keyboards...

If I ever run into him I'll tell him you're sorry. :D

Yeah, I figured as much. The s and the b are so close to each other it's easy to get them mixed up. Let's see, you must be using one of those old-fashioned Turkish keyboards...

If I ever run into him I'll tell him you're sorry. :D
Hey, Ted Kennedy set the standard. Why should we disagree with the senior Senator from Massachusetts, who happens to be on his deathbed or something? Show the man some respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APx2YJ-_jos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zy08STIQwM&NR=1

I guess I have to use this.

*owned*

Hey, Ted Kennedy set the standard. Why should we disagree with the senior Senator from Massachusetts, who happens to be on his deathbed or something? Show the man some respect.

Yeah, I love those clips. :D What an unfortunate name he has... heh heh

Condy Rice. There's someone who has all the attributes that Osa--uh--Oba--uh---Oh nuts, Hussein lacks!!! I could get behind her if she could be persuaded to run.
KS

It doesn't. Why was it necessary for Obama to retake the oath of office if it didn't matter and he was already President.

It was necessary to keep loons like you from being able to make any legal claims.

I can just imagine the criticisms from you and people like you if Roberts was a liberal.

Just a question...

The only fault I see in the argument for Condy being president is...

You say Obama was not President until he took the oath. Well, did Condy take the oath at noon, to make her president?

I'm not very educated when it comes to politics, so maybe there's a different policy, but I can only logically assume she suffers the same contingencies that Obama does.

Again, I guess this didn't make sense to me, so I'm just asking for clarification.

Just a question...

The only fault I see in the argument for Condy being president is...

You say Obama was not President until he took the oath. Well, did Condy take the oath at noon, to make her president?

I'm not very educated when it comes to politics, so maybe there's a different policy, but I can only logically assume she suffers the same contingencies that Obama does.

Again, I guess this didn't make sense to me, so I'm just asking for clarification.

The entire thing is just speculative trivia.
Obama still would be the 44st President.
He's still be the first black President.

The entire discussion has to do with the constitutional transference of power. But even with the activation of the 25th amendment, the person is simply the ACTING President, not the actual President. So for a brief moment, someone may have had the responsibility of the President, but were unaware of it. In someone like Condi's case, she swore her allegiance when taking the position of Secretary of State, so she might be "acting" without first taking an oath.. maybe... this is all constitutionally untested, and a bit vague.

And even if this timeline theory were to hold true, power would have moved to Nancy Pelosi and then the senile old Democrat klansman, Robert Byrd, before reaching the Secretary of State.

And even if this timeline theory were to hold true, power would have moved to Nancy Pelosi and then the senile old Democrat klansman, Robert Byrd, before reaching the Secretary of State.
Nope, not my understanding. They would both have had to have resigned prior to taking the post. Neither did.

MM is right about the resignation issue, according to the Presidential Succession Act of 1947, which is the governing law for Presidential succession.
USC Title 3, Section 19(a)(1):
If, by reason of death, resignation, removal from office, inability, or failure to qualify, there is neither a President nor Vice President to discharge the powers and duties of the office of President, then the Speaker of the House of Representatives shall, upon his resignation as Speaker and as Representative in Congress, act as President.
-- http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode03/usc_sec_03_00000019----000-.html
There's a similar statement in Section 19(b) pertaining to the resignation of the President Pro Tem of the Senate. Succession then falls to the Secretary of State, the Secretary of the Treasury, and the Secretary of Defense.

If we accept that Old Joe didn't take his oath until after Noon and that not having taken the Oath qualifies as a "failure to qualify," then who would have been the Acting President? It depends on when the resignations of the Secretaries of State and Treasury were effective--if that happened at Noon, then Secretary of Defense Gates would have been the Acting President, as he was the only one of the three who was staying for the Obama Administration.

Of course, it's just an interesting footnote in history, nothing more.

There's a big difference between being President, being an acting President, and just having the authority and responsiblity OF President when the President is ill or unable to function. I think the technical, constitutional term is "cluster f*@k."

No one really knows, the issues of transition of power, particularly the short term ones, are really unclear. There are some legislators who are genuinely concerned about that and have been seeking to clarify it.

If everyone else at the event couldn't perform the duty. Still doesn't change my contention.

Your contention uses tortured logic. The Constitution calls the term of both the president and his administration to an end at noon on the 20th day of January. Rice, being a member of the Bush administration, no longer held her office as of noon on January 20th. She was neither secretary of state nor acting president of the United States. Sorry.

Bryan, I hate to say this, but the entire premise of this thread is like trying to piss up a rope.

Let it go.

The Constitution calls the term of both the president and his administration to an end at noon on the 20th day of January.
The 25th Amendment says the terms of the President and Vice President end at Noon on the 20th of January; it says nothing about the Cabinet.

Let it go.

Let what go?

Educating the unwashed masses is part of my mission.

It is a interesting footnote in history is all. I'm not trying to make Condi president here. But I will say that at least she would be have been eligible, unlike the Usurper in office now.

The 25th Amendment says the terms of the President and Vice President end at Noon on the 20th of January; it says nothing about the Cabinet.

Once confirmed, cabinet members serve at the pleasure of the President. If George W. Bush is not the president, then members of his cabinet no longer serve as officials. Rice never was President nor was she acting president.

Once confirmed, cabinet members serve at the pleasure of the President. If George W. Bush is not the president, then members of his cabinet no longer serve as officials. Rice never was President nor was she acting president.
I never said Rice was President or Acting President, all I said was that the Constitution was silent on when the appointments of the Cabinet members end--and it is. If you have proof that your above posted contention is true, show me. All it takes is a citation to the Constitution or to the US Code.

If the appointments of the Cabinet members expired at Noon on the 20th, then why didn't President Obama nominate Robert Gates to be the new Secretary of Defense, and why didn't he have to go through the Constitutionally-required Senate confirmation process like everybody else? For that matter, why did the other Secretaries submit their resignations if their terms automatically expired when President Bush left office?

Members online

No members online now.
Back