since wheel bearings have come up alot lately...

Outkast

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I figured I show everyone how my week ended....

bad wheel bearing in the rear...no easy bolt in replacement for this one...you have to disasemble everything and take is to a machine shop to have it replaced.

On my way home the wheel started sounding like a grinder on metal....it got hot....time to shut her down.

YouTube - lincoln LS bad wheels bearing

That sucks. Explains why I didn't see saturday for those parts.

yeah, sorry bout that, I got off at about 12:00 and it messed up on the way home. I figured I could get it off and up to plaza by 3 to get it pressed in, but I had alot of probs getting the upper ball joint off.

now I have it off...but plaza wont be open till monday. I guess I'll have to drive the Magnum to work next week.

got the old one out.....go figure...its bad.

img177.gif

img178.gif

44.00$ from orielys to buy, and 30 bucks to press it in...when I get off, I get to go home and put it back together...she has been sitting on jackstands since saturday.

I think its the same bearing I had to change too, but I had to get the front one on the passenger side replaced. that crap sounded like a blender grindin metal! After I got it replaced, it reminded me how quite it actually is in the car. ha

Damn!

My Mark VIII rear bearings aren't much better - gotta do the same crap, take the whole knuckle off and get a shop to press out / press in. :(

honestly it wasn't that bad....had a hell of a time getting the upper ball joint out, but aside from that, it just sucked having to take it to a shop.

all in all, it was probably on the same level as the front, considering most people have to beat the hell out of the fronts to get them off.

heading home in a few hours to do it all over again...I don't know if I messed somthing up or if it was a bad bearing from O'reileys, but its junk.

Anyone know if there is a torque spec on the axle nut? If its not torqued properly, could that cause premature failure? I drove less than 100 miles.

Yep, same thing happened to me too. Ground to a halt, on the way to the mechanic.

Anybody know what the deal is? The lincoln is my first car this has happened to, at about 40k miles.

thanks Joegr...I guess I'll tourqe it this time...maybe that was the cause

turns out that yes, that was the cause of the premature failure. It must be torqued to seat the bearing properly andd it wasn't.

Crappy part is, the auto parts stores around here don't sell a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench that goes to 221 ft/lbs...most stop at 150..

lucky for me, the mechanics at my trucking company let me use their 3/4 drive to do it.

I used a 3 foot cheater bar on my 1/2 breaker to get it tight at home. I managed around 230-240 ft/lbs...so I just left it there.

Dobbs quoted me 340$ to replace this when it first went out. I spent 44$ on the bearing and 30$ to have it pressed in and out. since I did it twice, I spent aprox. 104$...and about 3 hrs....including both times....just for a reference

Stop resurrecting ancient threads! It drives me nuts. Which reminds me:

A pirate walks into a bar and has a huge steering wheel sticking out of his pants. The bartender looks up and says, "hey, what's with the steering wheel?" The pirate says, "Aaargh, it's driving me nuts."

Members online

No members online now.
Back