Should I Sell it?

myfirstlincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So these pictures might look familiar...(waiting on the tow this morning)

I believe the t-stat housing finally took a crap (coolant everywhere) and I overheated today but was lucky to pull over pretty quickly. But now I'm worried that the rest of the plastic cooling parts are not far behind.

So in the next few weeks:
New t-stat housing
New front bearings (300 from Tasca - already purchased just need to install)
New tires, road force balance, inspection, etc. (1200+)
New cooling system ($$$$$)
I also have the trans problem I mentioned in a previous thread (code p1744)
I also believe I may need at least 1 new coil (some slight hesitation/jerking when going up hill)
And part of me also thinks I may need new Cats (so I was looking at the bolt on Magnaflow system made for the LS)

I love my car and have put a ton into it recently - I have brand new suspension all the way around which cost me a pretty penny, the motor (knock on wood) still seems very strong and since I bought it I've always done Mobil 1 with a Wix filter whenever the dash tells me to change which is probably overkill but oh well. I have a great system in the car which I really like. I recently had the front and rear bumpers re-painted. Brand new rotors and pads all the way around. K&N CAI, Jaguar 19's, magnaflow mufflers and 4" tips, tint, etc. - pretty much all the standard mods.

I feel like I've put a lot into it (especially recently) and would hate to sell it, but it is a 2003 with 130,000 miles. I know the car isn't worth much, but it is completely paid off so perhaps it's time for something new...

IMAG0643.jpg

IMAG0642.jpg

I have the same thoughts in my head. I need $500 in suspension/steering parts and even though it's getting up in age, mileage, and it's not getting any prettier, it's cheaper than a car payment and full coverage on a new car. Additionally, I'm holding out until there's more news on what Buick's doing with the Grand National, Cadillac with a potential ATS-V, and until I direct hired by one of the Big 3.

From how I see it, either decision is pretty much the same. You're gonna lose money either way.

All comes down to if you want to be stuck with the LS for a long time.

I personally would've sold around 100k. Now that you have so much into it, I'd put more in and have a solid car for a while. Gently turn it into a second ride.

I'm actually going to look into selling mine as well. So, I don't blame you.

Stu has the right idea. Just hope that the rate of rust can stay low. It doesn't cost anything to park it and pick up a new reliable daily driver. I'd keep it until the cost of repairs and lack of appreciation is more than a new car.

What would you replace it with? I'm faced with the same decision, should I keep or sell? Mine needs hubs, rear A arms, and brakes. Cooling system is done, and I really should look at a trans valve. Unfortunately, there's nothing used I can find that is worth buying, and I don't like what is currently available new. I'm going to wait until fall, then replace the defective parts as labor is always free. I hate car payments. In a couple of years I'll see what is available and hope I can find something suitable.

I really don't understand the nature of your complaint.

The T-stat housing is under $90 at the dealer and a coil pack isn't terribly expensive, both are surprisingly simple to replace. Fix the stuff that's broke and enjoy the car. Sure, expect to replace other parts down the road but don't sell a good car over maintenance issues.

Mileage isn't nearly as important as maintenance. From your pics you've spent money making the car look nice, now spend some to make it run nice. What exactly do you expect to buy used and not have to put money into?

So is this a car issue or a ADHD issue?

Yea I don't see how anything on that list is sell-worthy. Plus your LS looks badass. I guess I grow too attached to my cars as I mod them. And how having a paid off car is a reason to pick up a car payment is beyond me. Car payments can be brutal and stick with you for a very long time.

I really don't understand the nature of your complaint.

The T-stat housing is under $90 at the dealer and a coil pack isn't terribly expensive, both are surprisingly simple to replace. Fix the stuff that's broke and enjoy the car. Sure, expect to replace other parts down the road but don't sell a good car over maintenance issues.

Mileage isn't nearly as important as maintenance. From your pics you've spent money making the car look nice, now spend some to make it run nice. What exactly do you expect to buy used and not have to put money into?

So is this a car issue or a ADHD issue?

Yea I don't see how anything on that list is sell-worthy. Plus your LS looks badass. I guess I grow too attached to my cars as I mod them. And how having a paid off car is a reason to pick up a car payment is beyond me. Car payments can be brutal and stick with you for a very long time.

Couldn't agree more. As long as you enjoy driving the car, keep it. As I also get attached to my cars (ergo 3 LSes [2 are mine] in the garage and 4 Sables in the past) I generally keep them until monthly repairs start costing the same as a car payment. I have a friend that has over 210K miles on his '03 so we know the LS can last a long time.

EVERY car needs money spent on maintenance so you have to ask yourself; do you want maintenance costs or maintenance costs PLUS a payment?

I sold my 01 when the trans failed but it had 180k and I was afraid of what was to come, and more was coming trust me.
Now I have an 06 with 75k now. I just did lower control arms, and probably need more suspension soon, but that's because I am driving a lowered car daily. That will happen. I also need window guide clips, a new fog light, paint the bumpers (don't have to but could use it for sure), trans fluid change and other trans preventative maintenance, I have a weird whining with rpms, and brakes are needed as well. I am OCD with my car and hate noises. Hate whines,pops, squeaks and rattles but go with what is most important at the time to keep in on the road and not leave you stranded. Then attack the ADHD OCD stuff.

Every car needs work. Seem more than others(these cars more than my Buicks with 3800) but this is a nicer car. I would say keep The car until you feel it truly is not reliable or costs more to fix it than a new car, which doesn't happen often lol

The t-stat housing doesn't concern me but the rest of the cooling parts do as well as the trans and the cats. I realize all cars need maintenance and I have been keeping up with it, but I guess I should have rephrased my question and asked if it was worth putting $3,000+ into a car with 130,000 miles. Odds are I'll keep it and I guess my thread was more of a vent - thanks to those who responded and steered me in the right direction.

And yes, I am super picky when it comes to my car. For example, the original front bumper was damaged (which my insurance paid for) but while it was in the shop, I paid to have the rear bumper refinished because it had a few scratches that were barely noticeable but always bothered me.

Like many of you said, once I get these issues taken care of i'll basically have a new car anyway without a payment and the LS is definitely badass. If I were to sell, I would want something rear wheel (I've never owned a front wheel drive car) and V8 so probably a Mustang or Camaro - don't hate, I've always been a Camaro guy :)

The t-stat housing doesn't concern me but the rest of the cooling parts do as well as the trans and the cats. I realize all cars need maintenance and I have been keeping up with it, but I guess I should have rephrased my question and asked if it was worth putting $3,000+ into a car with 130,000 miles. Odds are I'll keep it and I guess my thread was more of a vent - thanks to those who responded and steered me in the right direction.

And yes, I am super picky when it comes to my car. For example, the original front bumper was damaged (which my insurance paid for) but while it was in the shop, I paid to have the rear bumper refinished because it had a few scratches that were barely noticeable but always bothered me.

Like many of you said, once I get these issues taken care of i'll basically have a new car anyway without a payment and the LS is definitely badass. If I were to sell, I would want something rear wheel (I've never owned a front wheel drive car) and V8 so probably a Mustang or Camaro - don't hate, I've always been a Camaro guy :)

I agree with you on that! We all have to make a choice either to keep a car and put money into it or sell it for a newer car with a car note. I've always said to myself why pay a car note and spend way more than 3 or 4 thousand on repairs. I feel like at some point even with a newer car that choice will have to be made down the line. So hey I say keep it! You already put time and money into it and its an LS. If you were talking about a different car maybe selling it would be a good move but with the looks and feel of an LS you can't go wrong. My LS had 147k on the dash when I got it. The body was in perfect condition and it drove like a dream. Since then, like any car problems started happening and I still love the hell outta it. There's nothing like having a paid off car and not worrying about monthly payments. Plus, your part of the LS family there's no leaving now your stuck with us. lol

When my 02 hit 140K and needed paint and rear suspension work I traded it on an 06. I don't know what I am going to do when my 06 gets that way. I am trying not to pile so many miles on it. Your 03 sure looks nice though.

Well we can't decide for you. That list seems insignificant to me, but that's just me. If I told you what mine needed you would probably sell it, but I wouldn't sell it, don't see the point since I love it. I'll just be adding a car, not replacing my ls with anything.

$3,000.00 in maintenance/parts etc. Say $300 a month payment on another car, 10 months payments. $3,000.00 into a car worth maybe $3k- $4k. Not a good investment, unless you keep for 3 more years to spread out repair cost. That being said, I did put $8k of repairs into my 02 F150 Lariet, Supercrew at 9 yrs old because I love my ride and 5.4L good for 250k miles. 120k now. I could break even on my repair cost now if I sold the truck today, 2 yrs. after major repairs. Truck now 11 yrs. old, I wouldn't put $1k in major repair now. Yours is 10 yrs. old, going to keep 3 more years with limited or major maintenance costs? Yes, invest in your ride. No, decide how much replacement ride will cost. Don't replace 1 coil on an engine, they maybe all the same age, unless you know better, replace all coils/plugs. Can you afford to trade? Most important question! Take a ride around town and thruway in a recent Camero, V8 compare features, ride, give yourself a little perspective. Buy new, buy used what is best investment and budget impact next 36 months? JMHO.

Take a ride around town and thruway in a recent Camero, V8 compare features, ride, give yourself a little perspective.

The new Camaro V6 base car puts out 323hp and 278 tq while coming in at 3780lbs, compared to the 2003 LS V8 at 280hp and 286 tq while pulling 3692lbs. This works out to the Camaro V6 getting 11.7lb/hp and 13.59 lb/tq while the LS does 13.18lb/hp and 12.9lb/tq. And, the LS V8 gets an EPA 16 city/18 combined/22 hwy on 91 octane where the Camaro sees 19 city/22 combined/30 hwy on 87 octane by the EPA numbers. This puts the Camaro V6 as a closer comparison vehicle to the LS V8. The Camaro V8 would run all over the LS power-wise. Of course, I'd not want to be the poor soul who had to ride in the back seat of the Camaro!

Make an addition not a replacement. As mentioned I'm in the same boat, but I couldn't imagine having two cars. Pricing out, researching motorcycles.

my opinion is you should keep it. repairs will always come with owning a car. as long as your repairing it with quality parts then your car should run for a long time with maintenance as well. yea it may seem like alot of $ now but in the long run you saved yourself a ton of money. its payed for so you dont have to worry about a car note. just keep in mind that everything you put into the car you wont get back out of it when you decide to sell it . and if your considering really selling your car then you should sell as is and not spend more $ into it. just my opinion. i would keep it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back