Shop at Walmart?

Bob Hubbard

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
For a long time now, I have heard and read people's coments that they wouldn't shop at Walmart because they don't treat thier help fairly, and sell merchandise that has been made by cheap labor in places like China.
We buying public really need to get real, especially those who wouldn't step foot inside a Walmart.
First off, I couldn't care less how Walmart treats their employees.
No one is holding a gun to the employees to stay at Walmart.
Secondly, that stupid complaint about Walmart importing most of their merchandise from China because of low labor cost, doesn't hold water.
Been to a Home Depot recently?
Their shelves are crammed with stuff "made in China", yet I never hear anyone say they would never step foot in a Home Depot.

The only difference I see in the two chains is price.
Walmart passes the savings on to the consumer while Home Depot still charges the same as if the products were made in this country where manfacturing cost are out of sight.
Easy too see here who is making the big bucks off of cheap labor.
I don't shop very often at Home Depot because I just can't deal with the stupid people that work there.
One more thing that really anoys me at Home Depot.
Have you noticed lately (at least in my area) they have these "Home Depot greeters" at the door just like Walmart
They have the high school drop-outs walking around asking if "I found everything I was looking for".
This crap is so phoney.
They are trying to emulate Walmart with this happy greeting crap.
I don't buy it for a minute.
Bob.

I don't mind Wally World. I shop there. Though, when I do go to Walmart, I have to wear clothes. Something about No Shirt, No Shoes, no Service... bastages.

And Home Depot is a joke, I agree. Most of the employees there don't know a nail from a screw. This is why I shop at the local Ace Hardware. I wan walk in, talk to ANY employee, tell them what I'm after, and they take me straight to what I'm looking for. If they don't have it, they suggest appropriate substitutions, and they always work as well as the original item I was looking for.

OK add HOME DEPOT to the list of places to STAY AWAY FROM.
Happy?

I dont like walmart or home depot.

Hope depot here in texas you can pull up outside and fill the back of your truck up with WETBACKS, no additional charge.
that is the #1 reason I stopped going to Home Depot
not prices, not their stupid employees..but them ALLOWING ILLEGAL ALIENS to sit on the property.

Screw walmart AND Home Depot with the same SEARS/Craftsman Screwdriver.

and I "never" stop for the "loss prevention" flunkies at the door that want to "see my reciept".

SCREW THEM.

the "ONE TIME" i did stop, I told the guy.

once you check my reciept and find that I have stolen NOTHING, do you think I'm going to go outside and go home?

NO I'm going to get a refund for everything inside this shopping cart.

After I said that I asked.. would you like to follow me to the customer service counter so we can start this process?

I am completely offended by them ASSUMING that I might have stolen something....

Loss prevention is NOT performed "at the door".

These idiots WATCH me walk from the checkout counter, directly TO them.. and they want to STOP ME?

Stand up for your rights, there is NO REASON these people should be RIFLING thru your groceries.

Make them bring a manager over there, so they are not just wasting a "minimum wage" employee's time. Make a MANAGER do it.

THEN make the manager give you a refund.

They have cameras and "undercover" poeple walking thru the store and they want to stop people AT the door?

What a stupid way to treat your PAYING CUSTOMERS, while the REAL THEIVES are walking out thru the "garden center" or automotive exit where this is "no one" watching.

This is true in most cases. But you can't do that at places like Costco or Sam's club. Well, you could, but they just cancel your membership, for you see, the right for them to stop you at the door is in the fine print on your membership application.

I love the look on the faces of these receipt checkers at other places aside from costco and Sam's...

On guy at the Fry's Electronics in Phoenix off Baseline had an interesting exchange 2 years ago at Christmas. The dumb SOB tried to block my path of travel.

"May I see your receipt, Sir?"
"No you may not. Piss off"
"But I have to see your receipt"
"That's nice. I don't have to show it to you. Now, you have two options. Stand aside, or, my least favorite option, as I might feel bad once I'm done with you, suffer a beating in self defense of your attempt to kidnap me. Once I am reasonably assured that my well being is no longer in danger and that you won't be attempting to impede my exit of this establishment, I will call the local US Marshall's office and have them come get you for attempted kidnapping. Your choice, makes no difference to me either way... but I think your job is not worth that hassle, yes?" Guy turned a couple shades of white and stood aside.

I know they're doing their jobs, and that's fine. but when they come across a customer that knows his or her rights who doesn't show their receipt, they need to understand that and not pressure the customer into showing them a receipt.

I know they're doing their jobs.

usually they are people that are "too stupid" to perform ANY other duty, and they are "given" a job that requires "nothing" in regards to SKILL or Knowledge.

If I was too stupid to do my job, I doubt my boss would "make me stand by the door".. and receive a paycheck.

If they are too old, or too stupid to do a "real job" they do not need to stand by the door and mess with me, who is smart enough to have a REAL JOB.

I wonder if they would hire me to stand at the door.
On the job application I should put..
I dont want to work, I just want to stand by the door and look at people reciepts and rifle thru their groceries.

next time.. I think I am going to demand the employee go "wash his hands" before touching ANY of my belongings.. including the reciept.

THEN.... after the fact.. make them give me a refund as described above.

and...Oh GAWD let one of them lay a hand on me...OMG.

I love ACE Hardware - and was quite happy when they put a great big one within walking distance of my house. And it is true - everyone knows where things are and quite a bit about the 'stuff'. And if they don't know a lot about a particular item, they find someone right away who really is an expert.

They all know me - and help me with my screws all the time ;)

the whole scenario is
discrimination
racial profiling
and.. exploitation of the physically challenged and the mentally handicapped

I just want to know "what days" are the days to "check the receipts" on 40+ year old WHITE males.

And how does that profile fit into the "known theives" that steal from walmart.

most of the theft walmat is victim of is perpetrated by their own employees by a large margin.

The person at the door is always a physically handicapped or a mentally challenged person...guess walmart figures they are not likely to get the crap beat out of them, as a normal employee would.

hate to tell them they are WRONG...
I'll beat the crap out of anyone, I dont discriminate.. I hate all people equally.

+1 for ace hardware!!!

my grandma (from grandmas car fame) worked at a local ACE hardware up until she retired.

ACE hardware knows how to treat their customers and NEVER have I felt like they thought I was a criminal just because I shopped at their store.

I shop at Walmart and like it - my only gripes with them are:

* Dubious meat.
* Shopping carts that aren't maintained.
* Shopping carts being left all over the parking lot.
* Receipt checker at door slows exit and they aren't really checking anything - just paying 'lip service'

I liked the my local Home Depot in Florida, but the one where I am now is crap, so I shop at Lowes. Haven't been to a Ace Hardware store yet, but I'm hoping to go this week - need some step bolts.

I shop at Walmart and like it - my only gripes with them are:

* Dubious meat.
* Shopping carts that aren't maintained.
* Shopping carts being left all over the parking lot.
* Receipt checker at door slows exit and they aren't really checking anything - just paying 'lip service'

I liked the my local Home Depot in Florida, but the one where I am now is crap, so I shop at Lowes. Haven't been to a Ace Hardware store yet, but I'm hoping to go this week - need some step bolts.

Walmart has done damage to the manufacturing base in the U.S.

Here is a good story that explains it.

The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart

Good read. I use Walmart for grocery shopping and some other stuff, but I got my simple push mower from Lowes. I generally don't buy expensive goods / clothes from Walmart - I checked out their mowers and found them to be crappy.

Just think, they are putting walmarts in everywhere and knocking other stores out of the box! That says it all!! :D

Sounds like the political forum is trying to escape .... who let the door open...

LOL ... someone better close it fast LOL

Next thing we'll have shaggy and scooby do out here ranting to those who don't care about their rants ... that's why we have the political forum LOL....

The closest walmart to me is 35 miles away. I shop there when I cant find what I need locally.

Home Depot is across the street from said walmart. There is a mom and pops hardware store a mile down the road from my house that I go to. Owned by a retired Marine like 90% of the businesses in this town, and they are very helpful and know their stuff.

Now Target is one place I refuse to shop. 1. its owned by the french. 2. they wont allow Toys for Tots to collect toys at thier store. 3. they dont allow the salvation army at thier store. 4. I know 2 Marines that were home on leave during Christmas and stopped in target to pick something up while in uniform and they were kicked out. They werent recruiting or anything, just shopping, but were told to leave since they were in uniform.

FUKC TARGET

The closest walmart to me is 35 miles away. I shop there when I cant find what I need locally.

Home Depot is across the street from said walmart. There is a mom and pops hardware store a mile down the road from my house that I go to. Owned by a retired Marine like 90% of the businesses in this town, and they are very helpful and know their stuff.

Now Target is one place I refuse to shop. 1. its owned by the french. 2. they wont allow Toys for Tots to collect toys at thier store. 3. they dont allow the salvation army at thier store. 4. I know 2 Marines that were home on leave during Christmas and stopped in target to pick something up while in uniform and they were kicked out. They werent recruiting or anything, just shopping, but were told to leave since they were in uniform.

FUKC TARGET

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

+1 for ace hardware!!!

my grandma (from grandmas car fame) worked at a local ACE hardware up until she retired.

ACE hardware knows how to treat their customers and NEVER have I felt like they thought I was a criminal just because I shopped at their store.

+2 for ace hardware.

Got my Concealed Handgun Licensing at Ace Hardware.
Now I am a fan of Ace Hardware.

Don't blame Walmart for problems with U.S. manufacturing, identify the causes that make domestic productive so uncompetitive.

Thank Walmart for being one of the few forces in this country that have helped keep inflation in check these past few years.

I think it's a great store, the Super-Walmarts specifically.
And I agree with the earlier statement about the meat they sell. Once they got rid of the butchers on sight, all they sell now is briney, salt water filled inferior meat.

Ace Hardware are locally owned, so they really are the closest thing to a local hardware store. If you have questions, it's the place to go- usually I find it staffed with old, retired guys who are respectably knowledgeable. Sometimes you find that at Home Depot, but my only use for the staff their is helping me determine what aisle a product is in.

I only get non food items at Wal-Mart (shampoo, soap, etc) since it's alot cheaper than the grocery store. I get my groceries from the local grocery store that's affiliated with Kroger. On the topic of receipt checkers at Wal-Mart, I don't stop. I just hold my receipt out and keep walking. The lady and the mentally challanged guy that work the door know me now, so they don't try to stop me anymore. As far as Home Depot goes I occasionally shop there. There's a local lumber yard/hardware about 5 miles away that I'll use. Most of the time there prices are only $ .50 - $1.00 more for something, which I don't mind paying to support local businesses.

Dammit Ford Nut, you beat me to it :)

Wal Mart: I kindly invite anybody to come shop in my local Wal Mart. It is a filthy store that is never cleaned or organized. The shelves are typically empty, and what products are on them are usually misplaced and often mis-priced. On the rare occasion you need help and are able to actually find an employee, said assistance is usually worthless as those in-duh-viduals frequently won't even get off their cell phones (or stop texting) long enough to actually answer your question; instead choosing to blow it off and make a half hearted apology for not being able to help. Checking out? Forget it. Get a calendar. I've never seen more than three cash registers open at the same time, out of the 24 - yes, 24 - lanes that are there. The shortest I think I've ever waited in line was about 20 minutes, at that was at 2 AM. You know what is amazing about Wal Mart at 2 AM? The fact that there are parents shopping there... with their toddlers.... buying lingerie and a shopping cart full of soda & fruit snacks. Never mind poor choice in eating habits, as that happens everywhere, but why do these parents not have their children IN BED at 2 in the morning? Then of course, the parents having matching mullets and matching white wife beaters, so it's really interesting to tell which one is the father & mother (makes for a fun game!).
Of course, making it out of the store is only half the battle, then you get to try to leave the 12 acre parking lot through the ONE entrance/exit without plowing over any of the crowds of pedestrians that walk in your way before you can sit at the light to get out onto the road for several minutes.

I don't care about the way WalMart does business, their ethics, how they treat their employees, or any of that. And I'm sure my WalMart is not representative of all WalMart stores. However, some time ago I decided that the three dollars I might save on my order are a worthwhile price to shop in a nice clean store with well stocked shelves and a helpful staff. I also enjoy being able to go shopping without feeling as if I need to shower after leaving the store :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't have to lay a hand on you. As soon as they're impeding your travel and stopping you from exiting the building, that's considered attempted kidnapping.

Dude, are you serious? If so, I have been attempted kidnapped 100's of times....time to fight back;)

On the walwhore thing...I get personal care items, staples, and snacks from dollar store (since I am bald, there's not much need for shampoo, but razor blades are a different matter:)) and some staples and snacks. Groceries come from local owned store, except for meats like chicken, pork, and beef. Those get raised by me and sent to local slaughterhouse. I got 200# of beef products (ground beef, steaks, roasts) for about $145 processed. Car parts come from local Ford dealer or O'Reiley's. Fuel...well whoever's the lowest without ethanol. I USED to go to Walwhore for everything, but as I get older, my tolerance for the genpop is weakening.

I shop at Wal Mart for one reason, and one reason only......I SAVE MONEY SHOPPING THERE.
Bob.

Members online

Back