Shaved and painted rear surround

At first I thought your car was beige, like Pektels.... :(

Its not Silver Birch, thats an LSE only color :D

At first I thought your car was beige, like Pektels.... :(

Its not Silver Birch, thats an LSE only color :D

:p
:D
Its silver metallic frost.

I been having problems with the grille though. Its like the righteous being that created us all dont want me to succeed. I got the filling on the grille and all down but I keep f*cking up small things. Twice now I let the paint sit over night and taped it up but both times the paint pulled in a few spots. Im using Plasti-Kote on this one though and to be honest, the color matching is 5x's more on point but the paints quality just sucks!

photo01133437008.jpg

I said the hell with it this time and since I have so many layers on it now from sanding down the eff ups I just sanded it down till I hit another layer of base color and let it go for a few weeks. You really cant tell its there at all. This is also the grille I got from m wife for X-Mass off of 02LsV8Sport and I have yet to find out why it dont sit correctly but Im tired of messing around and in fears of overdoing it and burning out on it Im letting it ride for a bit.

Again looks like great work. Not too fond of the look as i said about the rear. I think the match is almost perfect. To anyone unknowing, they wouldn't be able to see the difference.

Also what the hell is hanging from your mirror? Skull? Cmon man! lol

Yeah looks more modern and clean with it shaved. It still looks likes its missing something. Man your headlight look clean. How did you get them like that?

Also what the hell is hanging from your mirror? Skull? Cmon man! lol

Hater:p

photo01151802243.jpg

Its gunna be Halloween! Wheres the spirit? ( no pun )

Thanks Alax. I think the biggest problem is just focus. We are so used to seeing the emblem there sometimes its almost as if I see a outline when I look at it myself. After a few days the rear being blank grew on me and dont look so barren.

As for the headlights, its just TLC and some Duragloss!

Thanks Alax. I think the biggest problem is just focus. We are so used to seeing the emblem there sometimes its almost as if I see a outline when I look at it myself. After a few days the rear being blank grew on me and dont look so barren.

As for the headlights, its just TLC and some Duragloss!

Yeah I see that. We're just use to having the emblem there adn adding to the car. So about your headlights. I did some searching, do you really ahve to polish then every two weeks or they get yellow?

Just about. Well I can let it go for a month or so maybe.

Its the weather. I took off to much clear coat listening to some schmuck. I guess I could always clear them again but its not normal clear coat I would assume.

To be honest the cars filthy right now. I think I got just the right light. My father in law just re-did his drive way and he takes care of his grass on a OCD level so I think thats what makes the shot look clean.

damn, looks great!

Paint your lower grille area black. It would look 10x better.

I keep getting the tape out and thinking about it but I really just dont wanna yet till I see if I wanna cut it out or get a LSE/06 front.

If I do the swap I'll pull it and paint it and then slap it on before I put the new one on just for the hell of it.

Oh and I hate that black out tape by the way. I find it a b*tch to do and the outside temps need to be just right or its like using electrical tape. Soft squishy and dont lay properly.

I never finished it, just the lower section of the trim. But it still looks 100x's better. I need another roll. Im still determined to find out if the 2nd Gen trim fits.

Im also gunna use the same Fusion to paint the bezels to match the grille better and remove my lenses again and paint those bowls over with the same Fusion also.

Im tired of f*cking around though cause I just replaced my clock spring last night finally and some how one of the bolts that screw into the side of the airbag to keep it on got stripped or something. The bolt looked good but it just turned inside and didnt want to back out so I had to cut the bracket that it attaches to, the little plate cover for the horn. Now I gotta figure out a way to back it out and drive the car without the bag blowing up in my face till I get it out but with all the pics I have seen and not a single bag going off Im confident Im in the clear:lol:

Then the cable for the hood release came out and that was a pain in the ass getting it all back in place and lining up that sh*ty little spring!

The lower grille only took a couple hours, and a cheap can of Duplicolor bumper black paint, matte finish. I did it with the bumper on the car. I just used some poly I had in the garage, to cover the rest of the car.

The lower grille only took a couple hours, and a cheap can of Duplicolor bumper black paint, matte finish. I did it with the bumper on the car. I just used some poly I had in the garage, to cover the rest of the car.

Yeah, I figured its a easy job. If I do it Im gunna stick with the Krylon Fusion though since it dont need primer and flexes. That way I can keep the flow with the other black stuff I have painted.

Good idea. That cheap can I mentioned just happened to match the unfinished area on the mclaren grille.

Those cans are also like 7 bucks and barely leave one coat and for the same price I can get double or more in the Fusion and I really like the look it gave my LSE grille. Not to mention I already have a couple cans handy.

the duplicolor stuff? Huh. I thought they were maybe 4-5 bucks. Either way, seemed pretty cheap to me.

I cant find any in a can over 6. some odd oz and they are all around 6-7$. The priciest being around 7$ is the base coat so maybe the bumper stuff is a bit cheaper.

I get the Fusion for around 4 something at Whale-Marts and well regardless I bought a few cans just in case I wanted to accent anything else and match it with the grille as well as a bistro table that needs panting and its chairs.

So,.... Im just saying Im pretty set:)

All I have around this area I moved to now is Carquest and Napa. Other than that I have to drive around 25+ miles inland for a Auto Zone or a Advanced.

Thinking about it, since I went with the rattle cans from Carquest this time around Im wondering if its just cans that have been sitting for some time which would explain the poor adhesion. Maybe it separated to much over time.

Werner can you link me to the Fusion paint you speak of? Would it be sufficient to use for my rear surround? I have never auto painted before and I don't really know what to do for prep. besides that tutorial on painting the rear surround... But that called for like ordering paint from PaintScratch.com and after all the supplied like sanding and primer and compound it was like over $70.

Thanks for any help

looks good man. and you're doing all of this with rattle cans? man i wish i could find something that would match silver birch well enough. maybe a custom mixed can but silver is a dicey color to try and match.

Werner can you link me to the Fusion paint you speak of? Would it be sufficient to use for my rear surround? I have never auto painted before and I don't really know what to do for prep. besides that tutorial on painting the rear surround... But that called for like ordering paint from PaintScratch.com and after all the supplied like sanding and primer and compound it was like over $70.

Thanks for any help

No no no. I think I must be confusing you somehow.

First for my surround I used some stuff from a shop that does body work. They had it put in a can for me. The Fusion I used in the center of the surround to add contrast and help the plate pop as well as match the center of the grille.

Now for the grille I used Plasti-Kote in my paint code. Again I used Fusion for the center for contrast and to build back the aggressive sporty look. You can find Dupli-Color or Plast-Kote in just about any auto parts shops as well as some Wal-Marts. They usually have a guide where you just find your code and it will give you the number the company has dubbed for the paint color.

All the Fusion is is really just a Krylon product. Its Krylon Fusion and can be found just about anywhere. It bonds to just about anything without prep ( supposedly ) and does not fade and has flexing abilities ( why its good for plastics ) as well as adheres regardless of the oils found in plastics.

looks good man. and you're doing all of this with rattle cans? man i wish i could find something that would match silver birch well enough. maybe a custom mixed can but silver is a dicey color to try and match.

Yup, all from a rattle can. I think over the winter Im gunna invest in a compressor and gun. It was kind of fun.

The plasti-Kote actually matched better than the custom can but its quality was again poor as far as adhering. But, any shop that can bottle some up in a can would differ from another so you could have better luck. To be honest, I though it was a dead on match the first time anyway till I did the grille.

Thanks for the positive enforcement!:D

PS: Just make sure you take lots of time and effort WITH CAUTION in the wet sanding. If you want a truly deep clean look its all in wet sanding every layer. Wet sand the primer, then the base coat, and then the clear for the best results. Also make sure you use a good compound on the base coat before the clear, that helped add lots of depth. Almost puts the factory job to shame.

IMO, in some cases you can get orange peal under the clear coat in the base coat, plus you will get ruff spots from settling over spray that needs to be sanded in all three stages ( primer, base, and clear ). Remember, a good paint room has pretty good ventilation to help pull over spray out before it settles on the surface.

So would it not be wise to just shoot a coat on my surround? lol

I like how your grill surround turned out, that glossy paint like the body paint is what I want. I guess I need to do all the junk in the tutorial to achieve that look?

I misread and thought you used fusion for the silver.

Cuz I mean, it says to get primer, paint, clearcoat, sandpaper, rubbing compound, swirl remover etc. And it adds up to like 80 something dollars before shipping! Crazy :[

So would it not be wise to just shoot a coat on my surround? lol

I like how your grill surround turned out, that glossy paint like the body paint is what I want. I guess I need to do all the junk in the tutorial to achieve that look?

I misread and thought you used fusion for the silver.

Cuz I mean, it says to get primer, paint, clearcoat, sandpaper, rubbing compound, swirl remover etc. And it adds up to like 80 something dollars before shipping! Crazy :[

Well, I honestly would use paintscratch for the base coat giving you cant find someone to put it in a can for you. Maybe even the clear but thats it.

The rest can be bought cheap elsewhere. I wouldn't use the primer from them cause you really need something with etching power that will bond better than stuff like adhesive promoter.

One tip on that. Look at some graffiti sites for the primer. Ones that sell supplies. They often have stuff that etches glass.

I used the swirl remover and it didn't do jack. The cheap-o Megs Ultimate compound surprisingly did a good enough job in its own.

I cant wait to add some DG 101 sealant and a coat of some Dodo juice:D

Waiting for it at the door like the episode of the Simpsons where Bart gets the spy camera.:D

what dodo juice do you have jwerner? i have supernatural, and a pot of austintacious on the way.

For now its the Rain Forest Rub and the Light Fantastic.

Supernatural is on the way in the near future.

And dude, I cant forget you have the supernatural. You wont let me.:D

And I want one of those pots:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Both excellent choices. Rainforest rub smells awesome. I haven't tried light fantastic yet, but I bet it looks great on the silver frost.

Members online

No members online now.
Back