Sensor Function - Just Curious

Aquabrit

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just curious about these sensors. Now, I'm sure the sensor on the left is for the auto headlamps... But, what is the one on the right for? Is that for the HVAC display so it can adjust brightness depending on ambient light?

DSC03360.gif

martin, the grey one is actually the head light photo cell, the sun load sensor on the right is for the auto climate control feature, it detects solar radiant heat coming through the windshield and adjusts the climate control tempature accourdingly.

Ah... ok, thanks. I asked because i found the one on the left unplugged when i was trouble shooting my air bag. I don't use the auto headlamps so i can forget that one.

Ah... so the right one does more than i thought - i was under the impression that the HVAC relied purely upon the inside air temp sensor to adjust - learned something new! :)

well accourding to my searches its a sun load sensor, and sun load sensors wont have anything to do with lighting, but the one of the left sure does.

A dual-channel sunload sensor capable of sensing the intensity and directionality of the solar radiative power entering the cabin of a car through the windshield, for the purpose of providing information to the data processing system of the car that enables a control of the air conditioning system that optimizes the comfort of the driver and of the front passenger. Signals from the sensor offer reliable indications of the solar load power and directionality for a wide range of angular positions of the sun. The sensor includes two convex transparent parts collecting light each toward a respective photodiode, the transparent parts being separated by an opaque portion

Yeah, i just had a search around too. Looks like the modern Ford EATC uses a combination of sensors to keep cabin at a desired temp. (outside air temp sensor, inside air temp sensor, engine temp sensor and the sun load sensor)

It would appear that the sun load sensor helps with air distribution when EATC is set to automatic.

Jamie is full of knowledge! I had no idea there was a sun load sensor. Great info!

well if I cover mine up in the day the lights come on and if I put light on it at night the lights go off

Well, i tried connecting that auto light photocell and it was bad. No matter what i did to it - exposed to light or covered, it made the headlights flicker on-off-on-off. Not good for HIDs! Lol.

On to my next question:

Which is:

What is the purpose of this thing?

DSC03361.gif

This box resides on the blower motor housing. The white sampling tube connects to one side and the heater box connects to the other. But, what does it do? (i ask because it is possible to connect the sampling tube direct to the heater box, bypassing this black box altogether)

Now, i know the blower motor pulls air through the sampling tube, past the sensor to help the climate control decide interior temperature. But, this box seems to serve no purpose. :confused:

i checked on a ford parts database and it doesnt come back with any results on that part number. weird!

Yeah, i had a look around too. That number on it is a casting number - may not show up on a parts database.

All i have deduced from it, is that it's a part that started in 1988, is Lincoln specific and is part of Ford's climate control group.

It is weird. It doesn't contain anything. Maybe it's a baffle / silencer of some sort?

Only other explanation i could think of, was that it might be an adapter to allow the sampling tube to mate with the heater box without sharp bends, but then i traced the sampling tube back and it bends sharply in other places, so that can't be the reason for it.

Not a big deal, really, just keen to learn as much as possible about all of the different sub systems. Ford shop manuals for xmas! Yay! :)

Edit: Hmm... I'm thinking it might be an air control venturi

Members online

Back