SCT flasher?

cdixon

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Will this do anything performance wise for a bone stock 02 LS V8?

yes - it is the best performance upgrade you can do for the dollar.

will it any way hurt the engine?

Can you transfer it to another car?

Quik LS said:
yes - it is the best performance upgrade you can do for the dollar.

How exactly will it improve performance without adding any other performance parts? Is their that much added power locked up in the LS V8? Sorry if I'm naive about this.

there are many many threads on this - do a search on 'SCT Flasher'

- no it will not hurt the engine
- it is PCM code specific and VIN locked to you car - you cannot transfer it
- it works for all LSes if SCT has your PCM code cracked
- re-tuning has shown gains from 14rwhp+ on a stock LS

Quik LS said:
there are many many threads on this - do a search on 'SCT Flasher'

- no it will not hurt the engine
- it is PCM code specific and VIN locked to you car - you cannot transfer it
- it works for all LSes if SCT has your PCM code cracked
- re-tuning has shown gains from 14rwhp+ on a stock LS

Quik...on the Diablo (for other cars), you can "unmarry" the tuner by reloading the tune back into the tuner and re-installing the factory tune. You can then use the tuner on another car (that has the right ECM, etc) Is that not the same on the SCT?

2001LS8Sport said:
Quik...on the Diablo (for other cars), you can "unmarry" the tuner by reloading the tune back into the tuner and re-installing the factory tune. You can then use the tuner on another car (that has the right ECM, etc) Is that not the same on the SCT?

That is true for the SCT flasher, you have to unlock it with the SCT software that you load on your laptop to make the adjustments to the tune. I unlocked it from my 02 and then had new tunes loaded onto it for my 04.

right - think of the flasher as simply a delivery mechanism for a tuner to tune your car. So it is designed to be only used on one car at a time - but if you flash that car back to stock - then you can wipe it out and dedicate it to another car.

questions:

if it doesnt hurt the engine why would you ever have it not set at max?

do you have to leave the flasher plugged in?

can you connect it without a labtop?

lloydrage said:
questions:

if it doesnt hurt the engine why would you ever have it not set at max?

do you have to leave the flasher plugged in?

can you connect it without a labtop?

-It depend on if it will hurt the engine or not. My max tune used to ping on my 02V8. The max tune on my 04 doesnt ping at all. The 03+ motors must have more control over timing or something to prevent this.

-No the flasher doesnt have to be plugged in at all times, just during the flashes to the car

-The laptop is only necessary to load the tunes onto the SCT unit or if you want to use the real time data logging software to monitor every darn sensor in the car as you drive.

so what should I set it at to be safe? I have a 02 LSE V6 auto

thanks for all of your help

lloydrage said:
so what should I set it at to be safe? I have a 02 LSE V6 auto

thanks for all of your help

Start at the max and then go down. See if the max pings, if it does then go to the mid-tune. If its ok, stay at max. At the max tune you will have to run 93+ octane, not 91 or 92. I ran 94 on my 02. If I couldnt get 04 at my gas station I ran 93 with a can of NOS octane booster.

lloydrage said:
what do you mean by pings?

If your car detonates/pre-ignition

The car engine will make a pinging noise if the timing is advanced too far, then you will have to use another tune or higher octane gas.

I use premium as it is so hopefully I am ok. I guess I am a little surprised that is something I would have to worrry about since this wont hurt the engine. I think I will have it a medium just to be safe

When I used the max tune I had no problem. The only time it pinged was when the gas station only had 87 octane, I just had to go back to the stock tune for a couple hundred miles.

do you need a laptop to change the settings? or will a home pc work? or do you not need any pc?

any PC will work - but you are not likely to make many adjustments yourself - the tuner will e-mail you new tunes if needed, and you use the PC to load those new tunes into your flasher.

awesome. everyone I want to thank you all for your help with this.

So when I add this and intake how much of an improvement should I expect? thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back