Saying hello...and clearing a few things up.

Glad to hear you're ok Rob. Sorry you have to be away from your family. Not so happy to hear I have to eat the loss of money I spent for my 2nd LS' tune, which never worked right. (I was holding out, hoping you'd come back one day :p)

Take care man. Stay safe when you deploy.

can you expand on this?

Thanks for serving and good luck with your career. Stay safe. Get back safe and brag about the G8.

Wait... did that guy just quote and respond on his own post??? WTF???

And don't worry folks... he's navy.... he'll be fine downrange ;)

JUST KIDDING!!!

Tuning is black magic... black voodoo magic that I LOVE!!!

Good luck man... post some pics and vids of that g8 man!!!!

can you expand on this?

Severe pinging-type-sound at high RPM with the tune on. Kinda like metal screetching. Car had 28k miles on it when it did this. Did it from the first time I installed the tune till the time I uninstalled the tune.

Did you check if it was the fuel pump. That what xlvr was saying for pektels car and It mght be that on mine too

Doubt it would be a fuel pump with that little miles. Either too much timing or too little fuel. I had the same problem and took out 2 degrees in each RPM range.

IIRC, pagluy's xcal for some reason did not have the end user option enabled to adjust timing.

Doubt it would be a fuel pump with that little miles. Either too much timing or too little fuel. I had the same problem and took out 2 degrees in each RPM range.

Yeah he does have very little miles but it could be defective from the start or damaged.

IIRC, pagluy's xcal for some reason did not have the end user option enabled to adjust timing.

Oh yeah, I remeber reading that. That would help to trouble shoot.

I guess my 300 that was pinging with a Predator tune has a bad fuel pump (at 15k) too? ;) I was having the same issues with the canned tunes a few weeks ago. All cars react differently which is why it's best to spend the dough and have the car dyno tuned so you know everything is where it should be.

Did you check if it was the fuel pump. That what xlvr was saying for pektels car and It mght be that on mine too

No, but the fuel pump has also given me no reason to think it's bad. I'm not sure what XLRV was expecting me to do - walk into my mechanic or the dealer and say hey I got this custom tune for my car and when it's turned on the engine makes a funny noise! I would've been laughed out of the shop imo. :p THAT'S WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU LET AMATEURS MOD YOUR CAR, they might say. And they would be partially right. :D

When I got a tune from ILLS for my first LS, I had some issues that he tweaked for me afterwards. Was very good service, he adjusted the tranny shifting for me as well, and sent me new tune files.

This one, got the tune, was still snowing out so I didn't install it right away (first put it on about a month after ILLS sent it to me), noticed within the first week this noise (wasn't driving it hard) and proceeded to contact ILLS thru e-mail, phone calls, PM (all over time) and never got a response (and we now know why that was - XLRV was talking smack suggesting I bothered ILLS too much - rofl).

So I don't think I'm wrong in thinking something is probably incorrect with the tune and needs adjusting, but I never got any chance for that so who knows.

Some on this forum seemed to think I should have started replacing all kinds of parts, but I think most sane people will agree I was following the right path to figure out the issue by talking to the guy who configured it for starters, and going from there. At the time my car was a baby - 3 1/2 years old and only 28k miles.

I'm going to get a new tune from Torrie before spring next year. Then I will find out if I am wrong and if my car has a more serious problem. If so I'll be sure to let XLRV know.

Yeah he does have very little miles but it could be defective from the start or damaged.

or if the person "habitually" ran around with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel..
That would make the low mileage irrelevant.

Definitely true! But it makes more sense to me to do due diligence and adjust the tune first before I leap to replacing parts, since the tune can very easily be causing the problem. And by very easily I mean one or two degrees off in spark, or a tick off in fuel delivery, whatever.

The fact that in all this time w/out the tune I've never heard the sound in all the hot rodding I've done, or experienced any other issue with the fuel system, tells me I'm probably on the right track.

My car is warrantied, I have no reason to not take it in if I think or notice something is wrong. Know what I mean?

No, but the fuel pump has also given me no reason to think it's bad. I'm not sure what XLRV was expecting me to do - walk into my mechanic or the dealer and say hey I got this custom tune for my car and when it's turned on the engine makes a funny noise! I would've been laughed out of the shop imo. :p THAT'S WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU LET AMATEURS MOD YOUR CAR, they might say. And they would be partially right. :D

When I got a tune from ILLS for my first LS, I had some issues that he tweaked for me afterwards. Was very good service, he adjusted the tranny shifting for me as well, and sent me new tune files.

This one, got the tune, was still snowing out so I didn't install it right away (first put it on about a month after ILLS sent it to me), noticed within the first week this noise (wasn't driving it hard) and proceeded to contact ILLS thru e-mail, phone calls, PM (all over time) and never got a response (and we now know why that was - XLRV was talking smack suggesting I bothered ILLS too much - rofl).

So I don't think I'm wrong in thinking something is probably incorrect with the tune and needs adjusting, but I never got any chance for that so who knows.

Some on this forum seemed to think I should have started replacing all kinds of parts, but I think most sane people will agree I was following the right path to figure out the issue by talking to the guy who configured it for starters, and going from there. At the time my car was a baby - 3 1/2 years old and only 28k miles.

I'm going to get a new tune from Torrie before spring next year. Then I will find out if I am wrong and if my car has a more serious problem. If so I'll be sure to let XLRV know.

damn dude, I was just trying to help.. but I see your still butthurt about my suggestions of replacing your fuel pump.

I'll remind myself to ignore your posts/pleas for help in the future.

I see your "still pissing an moaning" about your "lack of perceived service"....which is why I "suggested" that ILLS might have written you off....

I thought ILLS explained the situation pefectly, if his explanation doesnt measure up to your expectations, then you OBVIOUSLY need to find someone else to do the work for you.

damn dude, I was just trying to help.. but I see your still butthurt about my suggestions of replacing your fuel pump.

I'll remind myself to ignore your posts/pleas for help in the future.

I see your "still pissing an moaning" about your "lack of perceived service"....which is why I "suggested" that ILLS might have written you off....

I thought ILLS explained the situation pefectly, if his explanation doesnt measure up to your expectations, then you OBVIOUSLY need to find someone else to do the work for you.

Whatever helps you sleep at night dude. What I posted is true and how it went down, and here you are talking smack again... just trying to help, I'm sure :rolleyes:

Your STILL just pissing and moaning on the internet, because you didn't get the "reach around" that you felt you deserved.

My suggestion is still valid.. FIND SOMEONE THAT CAN and WILL serve you in a manner you seek.

No, but the fuel pump has also given me no reason to think it's bad.

I dare say it has been said before, but anyway:

I'd hook up a fuel pressure gauge that can be seen while driving and check fuel pressure at various under load conditions, then compare the results to the Ford specs.

Whatever helps you sleep at night dude. What I posted is true and how it went down, and here you are talking smack again... just trying to help, I'm sure :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking Smack... by any means.
Just calling em as I see em.

car gets enough fuel under factory tune, and not enough under performance tune.... hmmm something tells me its not getting enough with the factory tune, but its too fat to tell the difference.

but now I see what ILLS was talking about.

car gets enough fuel under factory tune, and not enough under performance tune.... hmmm something tells me its not getting enough with the factory tune, but its too fat to tell the difference.

but now I see what ILLS was talking about.

DING DING DING
WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS
someone that isn't "too smart" to listen and LEARN!

WTG Sully!

With that said: it has been said many times, that a car will run fine on the stock SUPER FAT PIG RICH calibration, and problems arise when a tuner goes and edits the fuel table from "super rich" to a more "sane" performance AF ratio.

Then if the fuel pump isn't up to the task...detonation rears its ugly head.

The actual issue is really the "variance from commanded AF to delivered AF".

On a stock car that commands 11ish AF at WOT or 10/1 AF like the mark 8
you can have a wide variance of commanded versus delivered AF...and the car will run FINE..

For example if you have a 2 point variance between commanded AF and delivered AF the stock fuel table commands 11, but the car delivers 13...and runs GREAT!

Then when you pinch out the extra fuel and command a performance orientated 12/1 AF that "2 points of error" shows up and how your running at 14/1 AF with increased spark.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure this out.. but "some folks" just have it "rammed into their head" that if it's OK when it's stock then the problem HAS to be in the TUNE... and 99.999% of the time.. it's not the tune.

Hence.. ILLS has "left the building" for greener more eductated pastures..and I dont blame him a bit.

Which was all explained in the thread I started a while back. Tommy gave this insight to me (even in similar blunt form). But I took the advice, and will see once I replace the pump how it fares (which I'm willing to bet will fix my problem). The entire explanation makes PERFECT sense, once someone explained it to me.
The only issue I'm haveing now, is where to source my new pump. Lou gave me a link to a site that can use the existing pump design/shape, and just modify the performance.

The other upgrade option is using a pump from the Ford GT.

I almost want to do the former, since it's essentially a plug and play.

Members online

No members online now.
Back