Saving another poor soul this afternoon.

SoulSoak

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Cool story? Maybe not. Good read? Maybe, maybe not. Anyhow, here goes...

So I was dropping a friend off on the south side of Holland after picking up some Subaru parts a couple months ago when I seen a black genII LS with an '06 front fascia tucked away next to a house parked with weeds growing up into it. Front passenger tire flat, passenger rear window stuck down and covered up with duct tape and plastic etc. I immediately slammed on the brakes in traffic like a complete a**hole, pulled into the next houses driveway, parked and made my way to the beauty.

As each step was taken I swear I could see her just eyeing me. Like an abused woman looking for a good man. So I eventually made my way to the car, totally disregarded the fact that I'm just trespassing accross their front lawn and walking right by their front window. So I arive at the car and start checking her out. Factory paint, solid and straight body, no rust. I wasn't going to just open the door, I figure I'd already crossed the line and over stayed my welcome uninvited. So I made my way to the front door, knocked, waited. Knocked, waited. Knocked, waited. This went on for a good 5 to 7 minutes.

It eventually got to the point to where I felt like a crack head that's looking to cop a $20 rock yet only had $18 in my pocket, in which $4 of that was in dimes and nickles. So I went back to my car, grabbed an envelope, and tucked a note under the front windshield wiper. Me and the harlet then parted ways. As I was leaving, I took one more glance at the front of the house and seen someone pinching the blinds open watching me. So I know they had been aware that I was looking at the car. I figure as soon as I left, they would go out and get the note.

Several weeks go by, and I'm at my Mom's house grilling when my wife brings me my cell phone. I say, "Who is it?". She replies "Someone about another stupid LS". My heart races and I swell up between the legs. The owner begins to talk to me about the car and why it is sitting there etc. Apparently he got a DUI and couldn't afford to drive it and insure it any longer. In the meantime I'm just thinking that this is all slang for *The car is overheating and I think it's the headgasket, the trans is slipping and it's junk, or the engine light is on and I changed the plugs but it's still hardly running, I'm fk'd so I might as well try to dump it on someone else* train of thought. He tells me that he payed $5000 for it last summer and it's been sitting since last Fall. He said despite the obvious issues of the flat tires and "broken rear passenger window" (regulator as we all know), there is just a small power steering leak and that's all that's wrong with it.

He says it still starts right up with no hesitation despite sitting. And says it runs and drives good. I did verify with him that it is an '03. So someone put an '06 fascia on it, and I find it hard to believe that whoever did it isn't familiar with this website, possibly was a member or still is.

Anyhow, during that phone conversation, he went on to tell me that he has had an offer and needs to sell the car to pay bills, and he wanted to know how much I'd offer. I told him that I am interested in the car, but that I also know a good deal about them and know exactly what to look for. I told him that if I were to buy it, I'd be dumping over $1000 in cop's and plugs, and cooling system parts alone. And all the additional problems it has will just add to the repair list. Not to mention that the transmission is a craps roll. So I offered him $1500 cash. He didn't sound thrilled, but said he would let me know if he we're interested.

Anyhow, more time goes by. And just this morning here at work, my phone starts vibrating. Guess who? (;

He says he will let it go for $2000 cash but needs it gone today. I respond with "I'm bringing a floor jack to fully inspect the underside of the vehicle, 5 gallons of gas, and YOU are going to drive it for a 20 minute cruise uninsured so I can verify that the engine isn't overheating, and that the transmission is shifting and operating properly. If it all checks out and there are no surprises, I'll buy it." However, I'm only bringing $1800, and that's my only offer.

Here's a couple pics guy, hopefully all things check out. Even if it's overheating, I'll still buy it if the trans is good. Oh, and it comes with the double din.

00000_1qs2jhp7wId_600x450.jpg
00F0F_cAHqK0kMLk4_600x450.jpg
00505_eDObb3uwexd_600x450.jpg

00000_1qs2jhp7wId_600x450.jpg

00F0F_cAHqK0kMLk4_600x450.jpg

00505_eDObb3uwexd_600x450.jpg

Right on Soul, great read, I laughed ... looks like a good deal if it all checks out, even if it doesn't, as your wife calls it, another stupid LS, in the driveway never hurt anyone.

Just got back from checking it out. Unfortunately the guy wasn't home, so I only got to visually inspect it. It's in pretty sorry shape. The car was actually factory Ivory Pearl and just TERRIBLY painted black, peeling everywhere. Rust is finding it's way through the rear quarters. The interior has both passenger windows held up by cramming wooden wedges in between the door cards and interior window weather stripping. I could barely see under the car because the front is sitting on undersized donuts, and also appears to be marginally lower than factory. By the looks of the car and current shape, I'll throw new shocks and eibach's out of the possibility and safely presume it's factory orignal worn out shocks with cut springs. The trailing arms look as if they have eatin' the asphalt several times (possibly wrong terminology, I'm referring to the brushed aluminum looking arms that run along the frame rails from the engine compartment back to approx. the middle of the front doors.), and I can see that the under engine splash guard is missing so God only knows what the oil filter housing and oil pan etc. have fallen victim to. Personally, I'm scared as hell to jack the car up. Poor thing's been through outrageous abuse.

I'm supposed to go check out the car tomorrow morning, we've arranged that. But I'm no longer in the ballpark of $1800. I'll offer $1250 and that's being nice as hell.

The interior and upholstery is relatively clean, but probably needs one if not ALL window regulators. It needs a serious cleaning. The exterior is dent free, but that paint would need to go. I suppose I could sand it, fix the quarterpanel rust, and just dip or wrap it. But I'd have to verify that it was running well and driving well before all of that effort and time were to be considered.

All in all, the car just needs some serious love. It's a shame to see it like that and as lame as this sounds it pains me lol. I figure if I could get it for $1250, it would be a nice investment for parts for my current '03 LS8, and it's only 5 miles from my house. Hell, the '06 fascia is probably good for $350+ on it's own.

I'll update you guys tomorrow morning. As of right now, I just hate everyone that abused this poor thing.

Looks pretty base.

I would say tell him to part it out and he will make more than $1500. Especially if he can't drive it, might as well spend his time parting it out.

Then buy the front bumper kit off him and bolt. A trashed and Maaco'd 03 base LS is not worth $1250K, IMO.

I dunno, if the engine isn't hurt that would make it worth the 1250 by itself. It's doubtful that the guy would change the oil on a car that sits so the dipstick should tell all. It does sound more like a parts car than a driver though, unless someone just wanted one (for some weird reason) for a project.

Hey, maybe Soul could make it into a project, and do one of the engine conversions that everyone talks about but never finishes. I'd suggest picking up a newer Chevy 6.2 with an 8 speed auto to install. If you go this route you'd need the engine, transmission, wiring harness, computer, instrument cluster, gas pedal and steering wheel for the paddle shifter. I think I'd like my LS a lot better if it had an 8 speed and 500HP, but I just don't like the car enough to do the work.

Maybe another option for you.

I saw what I thought was a black Gen 1 for sale on James just a few blocks west of 31. Didn't have time to stop as I was in a hurry out of town (I visit my parents frequently in Holland). It was in a corner yard on the south side of the street.

Members online

No members online now.
Back