SANDY: The Aftermath

Long_Island_LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Here are the latest pictures from the devastation caused by Sandy. The pictures say it all. Again I was one of the VERY fortunate here on Long Island, but many people have lost everything. I took a drive to the south shore yesterday and it was heartbreaking at the loss and damage that has affected so many.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/11/hurricane-sandy-the-aftermath/100397/[url]http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/11/hurricane-sandy-the-aftermath/100397/[/URL]

Still 650,000+ ppl without power and it is day 3. Things are starting to become ugly in certain towns with looting and chaos. The national guard and state police have been deployed and are enforcing curfews (6pm-6am) on at least 3 towns (that i know of). There arnt enough police and power trucks to keep up, and Im starting to wonder what would have happened if this was more than a tropical storm :(. There is NO gas at most places, and those that do have some, have a 30 min wait - and often run out before dark. There are accidents everywhere because the traffic lights ant working and the police are literally just pushing the cars off the road and moving to the next call. My friends house just got robbed and they have stole almost all electronics in his house because most ppl alarms arnt working. Like I said....things are getting ugly :mad:

Last edited:
Glad to hear you were fortunate. I feel terrible for those who were not as.

Glaou are okay.:)

Hate the read abotu those that have lost so much.:(

Worse to read ab thosescum capitlizing on the misfortune of others.:mad:

Things are replaceable. People are not. I say be glad you aren't part of the body count.

Picture 36 is amazing to me. It shows the spirit of people to go through such a powerful storm and to still have the ability to smile just a few days after (without even having power!)

Wow. You never really think about hurricanes making an impact that far north.

And now we have a possible nor'easter heading this way next week. Here's hoping everyone who didn't lose power has it back by the time the cold temps hit this weekend and into early next week...

I lost power for 7 days when Irene hit, but was very fortunate this time

Wow, the absolute irony is all the power trucks streaming back down I-81 South...

Must be the non-union workers I heard about. Seems the union guys in the affected areas don't want their help......

Is it also true that people who have lost their homes are being booted out of the hotels to make room for the marathoners? If so, how very, very sad for new York!

Must be the non-union workers I heard about. Seems the union guys in the affected areas don't want their help......

Is it also true that people who have lost their homes are being booted out of the hotels to make room for the marathoners? If so, how very, very sad for new York!

Ive heard a bunch of stories about people trying to capitalize on the misfortune of others in the wake of this disaster so this doesnt surprise me - the union workers should get over themselves and take all the help they can get! greedy pigs

..and as far as the marathon - thats a joke too! i live about an hour away from NYC (in the middle of LI), so idk what it looks like there, but ive seen it on the news and its a damn mess... but they are going to have to divert police and resources to help cover the marathon, meanwhile NYC might not have full power back until Nov 11th, or later! wtf! who is making these decisions???

The same guy that thinks that a 17 ounce soda is a hangable offense. Bloomberg is a multibillionaire so he has the money, now he wants to be king of his own serfdom. No idea why he hasn't been voted out of office yet, hopefully he'll be booted over this.

Ive heard a bunch of stories about people trying to capitalize on the misfortune of others in the wake of this disaster so this doesnt surprise me - the union workers should get over themselves and take all the help they can get! greedy pigs

..and as far as the marathon - thats a joke too! i live about an hour away from NYC (in the middle of LI), so idk what it looks like there, but ive seen it on the news and its a damn mess... but they are going to have to divert police and resources to help cover the marathon, meanwhile NYC might not have full power back until Nov 11th, or later! wtf! who is making these decisions???

Read somewhere on yahoo that a guy bought 70 honda gas generators before the storm hit and a couple days later he started selling them to people on the street at a markup. Thats just plain wrong.

Wow. You never really think about hurricanes making an impact that far north.

That's how I feel.. We get hit with stronger than cat. 1 hurricanes on a yearly basis, several times.. I guess we're built for it in South Florida though..

A decent storm surge on a full moon night... The city finally got hit by what the scientists have been saying was going to overwhelm it for years. No defensive plan, non waterproof switch gear in pits and sub basements.

It really isn't a disaster, just criminal irresponsibility by the people, and their elected government.

People need to learn how to survive without electricity.

Its not like this storm came out of nowhere. There was plenty of time to run down to the store and grab a couple gas cans, stockpile some food and water and get some batteries and flashlights. You can grab an old car battery, hook up a small power inverter to it and charge a cell phone for days.

I have a flashlight i use as a general area light, which i can use to see after my ups backups run out of power. plenty of canned foods can be bought to sustain a person daily. If its cold, all you need to do is layer up.

Everybody should have a backpack filled with a small amount of cash, flashlight, batteries, canned food if rations are not available, a couple changes of clothes, cutting tool, lighter, first aid kit, baby wipes and a small handgun with a box of rounds and a couple mags.

Basically a 3 day survival pack. Anyone who lives in a known disaster area should have a medium/large sized duffel or ruck sack filled with everything i listed plus a weeks worth of basic necessities.

A decent storm surge on a full moon night... The city finally got hit by what the scientists have been saying was going to overwhelm it for years. No defensive plan, non waterproof switch gear in pits and sub basements.

It really isn't a disaster, just criminal irresponsibility by the people, and their elected government.

I heard one meteorologist report that this type of storm has been in the making for decades! His dad was also a meteorologist and wanted to see this type of storm before he died. Apparently this phenomenon isn't unusual, just very infrequent.

Sure seems to bring out the worst in people! This just shows our selfish, self-centered, narcissistic, evil nature!

People need to learn how to survive without electricity.

Its not like this storm came out of nowhere. There was plenty of time to run down to the store and grab a couple gas cans, stockpile some food and water and get some batteries and flashlights. You can grab an old car battery, hook up a small power inverter to it and charge a cell phone for days.

I have a flashlight i use as a general area light, which i can use to see after my ups backups run out of power. plenty of canned foods can be bought to sustain a person daily. If its cold, all you need to do is layer up.

Everybody should have a backpack filled with a small amount of cash, flashlight, batteries, canned food if rations are not available, a couple changes of clothes, cutting tool, lighter, first aid kit, baby wipes and a small handgun with a box of rounds and a couple mags.

Basically a 3 day survival pack. Anyone who lives in a known disaster area should have a medium/large sized duffel or ruck sack filled with everything i listed plus a weeks worth of basic necessities.

You are 100% right!
The problem is people take things for granted, are very selfish and to a level that it's disgusting.

Most gas stations around here are out of gas. People are already pulling guns out for gasoline, instead of helping each other out to overcome this disaster.

The man up there needs to do a clean up real soon and start over.

I just LOVE it when The People speak and Gummint is FORCED to listen!!!

Mr. Bloomberg made up some BS for the cancellation. He had stated, he strongly beleives that it's an important part of the NYC and brings people together bla bla bla.

Then, he cancels it, saying it "distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track."

That's how I feel.. We get hit with stronger than cat. 1 hurricanes on a yearly basis, several times.. I guess we're built for it in South Florida though..

Yeah its crazy to think about (damaging) hurricanes hitting up there. Down here I have a house on stilts that is reinforced specifically for hurricane resistance. I have a diesel generator that is no where near the ground, and of course the Dade County code level of shutters. It sucks when storms like that hit people that are not prepared for them.

... People are already pulling guns out for gasoline ... The man up there needs to do a clean up real soon and start over.

Sign of things to come, starts 12-21-12

NY always votes Democrat. Highest taxes. Lowest results. Big on growing gov't depts, not much on infrastructure maintenance. Controlled by unions! All states should be "Right to Work". Lived in NY 20 yrs. Never again!

Members online

Back