Running rich, fuel smoke from exhaust.

Seth

New LVC Member
Reaction score
2003 Lincoln ls 3.9 199k It’s been slowly losing power, power drops off at 3k. Now barely runs + fuel smoke from running rich. The following codes have been thrown: P0190, p2196, p2198, p0300. I believe it’s having a fuel issue or timing issue. Replaced, the fuel pump, replaced plugs (motorcraft) and coils (cheap coils, but replaced to see if anything changed). Fuel pressure is all over the place at some points, spikes and drops quick between 15psi to 50psi (checked with a mechanical gauge and my scanner to see if there was a difference) Which is why I replaced the pump, still doing it. Did a compression test and got about 145 on the cylinders I checked. Getting on it there’s a rattle after 3k. I just put a trans in it 2k ago and would rather not waste anymore time on it lol

2003 Lincoln ls 3.9 199k It’s been slowly losing power, power drops off at 3k. Now barely runs + fuel smoke from running rich. The following codes have been thrown: P0190, p2196, p2198, p0300. I believe it’s having a fuel issue or timing issue. Replaced, the fuel pump, replaced plugs (motorcraft) and coils (cheap coils, but replaced to see if anything changed). Fuel pressure is all over the place at some points, spikes and drops quick between 15psi to 50psi (checked with a mechanical gauge and my scanner to see if there was a difference) Which is why I replaced the pump, still doing it. Did a compression test and got about 145 on the cylinders I checked. Getting on it there’s a rattle after 3k. I just put a trans in it 2k ago and would rather not waste anymore time on it lol
Rattle? Can you explain what is rattling? Timing chain rattle? This sounds like a classic air leak somewhere...but if you hear something rattling it could be timing chains

I sprayed around all the vacuum lines I could find to see an if there was an idle surge and couldn’t find anything. The rattling is loud, sounds like it’s coming from the engine, but only once the engine reaches 3k or above, but no rattle at idle.

I also cleaned the maf and throttle body.
I wonder if the noise that you are hearing is heat shields on the exhaust system are loose causing a rattling noise. Maybe the shield on the manifolds are loose ... I will have to look again if the LS has shields on the catalytic converters...just a guess though ...I'm still thinking you might have air getting in somewhere...due to running rich...have you checked your intake system as of late ...any intake components cracked?

I’ll pull everything apart tomorrow to check. I gave a quick look over this morning, pulled around on the intake tube and vacuum lines to see if it ran any different. I’ll update if I find anything tomorrow.

I sprayed around all the vacuum lines I could find to see an if there was an idle surge and couldn’t find anything. The rattling is loud, sounds like it’s coming from the engine, but only once the engine reaches 3k or above, but no rattle at idle.
Is this rattle in park or in drive? Under heavy load? I ask because I have a rattle when I go up a hill in 4th or 5th. Been doing that ever since I had the car, believe it to be the aftermarket catalytic converter or torque converter.

Most likely, it’s a heat shield for you. Timing chain rattles for this car are almost exclusively at idle. Check your exhaust system and shields by grabbing and moving them around to see if you can find the culprit.

If nothing there, have some one rev the engine while you listen with a mechanic stethoscope on the engine, again, it’s unlikely that will be your problem but best to rule it out. Good luck

Looking back at your original post, there could be failed cats which I beleive if they’re clogged would present the codes, rattle and lack of power. Do you ever get a rotten egg smell?

Joegr or other members could confirm my suspicions. But cops that have been bad for a period of time usually lead to cat failure down the road

The rattling could also be pre ignition from a lean fuel mixture... or really crappy fuel. Or something in the fuel tank that doesn't belong there.

You say you changed the fuel pump. What about the fuel filter???

The 2196 and 2198 codes are just saying that too much raw fuel is getting to the catalytic converters. (that's the simplified answer)

The 0300 code is just saying that more than one cylinder is misfiring. (again simplified).

That leaves the 0190 code... which could have multiple causes.

Bad fuel pump

Bad fuel pump driver/relay

Bad fuel rail pressure sensor

Clogged fuel filter

Vacuum leaks or low/no fuel pressure

Wiring that is exposed, damaged, melted, or corroded

Connectors that are exposed, damaged, melted, or corroded

At this point I will ask if you have done any work on or around the EGR valve? Because the fuel pressure sensor regulator is right next to it... and can be damaged easily.

Try replacing the fuel filter first. It probably needs a new one anyway... if the original filter is still in there.

If that doesn't fix it... then try replacing the fuel pressure sensor.

If that doesn't fix it... then you may have a wiring harness or connector issue... or a PCM issue, (which would be less likely).

Check the torque converter bolts as well. Transmission was out 2K miles ago, it's fair to suspect those bolts.

If you have access to a vacuum gauge... you could hook it up "in line" to read the vacuum going to the fuel pressure sensor. That would tell you if the regulator is getting enough vacuum to work properly.

If it is getting enough vacuum... then its back to the regulator itsself... or wiring/electrical.

Fuel pressure is all over the place at some points, spikes and drops quick between 15psi to 50psi (

Now that I think about this... it could be the fuel pump relay. If it is old/worn and getting hot... it will cut out, (which will cause low fuel pressure). Then when it cools off it will kick back in... giving normal fuel pressure.

Thus the swing from 15-50 PSI.

Where is the crank position sensor located on the V8?
s6x~us~en~file=n0004812.gif~gen~ref.gif

Per chance... is this a black LS with red painted valve covers on the engine???

I wouldn't call it the outer radius... because it's closer to crank than the inspection cover is.

Why does it matter?

Just trying to develop the possibility of loose flex plate bolts being the source of the rattle and cutting out of fuel pressure due to loss of crankshaft tracking, but that's not likely based on the sensor's position. Thanks for the update.

I thought that's where you might be going with it. While not a bad Idea,, the flex plate bolts at the crank would have to be loose... instead of the torque converter.

I would assume that when the trans was replaced... that only the bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate... would have been removed.

I could be wrong though. I don't know if loose flex plate bolts would trigger the knock sensor... but I think that would only retard ignition timing... not cut fuel pressure.

Something tells me that the OP's issue was going on before the transmission replacement.

Last edited:
Did a compression test and got about 145 on the cylinders I checked.

145 is low. Should be around 180-200. Seems like you have camshaft timing/valve timing issues... but I'm not sure if the cam phasers will allow a proper compression test without full oil pressure to them.

There is a "lock plunger" in the phasers that is supposed to keep the two halves of the phaser locked together until full oil pressure is reached... but with higher milage on the engine... that doesn't always happen.

A few years back on this forum... there were a number of people complaing about an engine rattle at startup. The issue was the cam phasers.

That still doesn't explain the fuel pressure issues.

Check anything with the injectors? Timon and a former owner both got misfire codes and raw fuel dumped into the exhaust from a leaky injector with smoke out the back. Spec is 30-55psi for both engine off and running, so 50psi is more of a return to normal than an actual spike. I don't know how much an injector could drop pressure if stuck open, but 15psi isn't far off.

The rattle is more important to me to rule out potential catastrophic failure. Did you check cylinders on both sides?

It wouldn't answer everything, but it could be worth it to remove the (front) O2 sensors and see if that noticeably improves the power. The thought is that if the cats are clogged, exhaust can escape from the holes where the O2 sensors were.

Members online

Back