Run Away Mark VIII

ramairmustang

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay so this scared the :q:q:q:q out of me the other day. I was driving to my grandma's house in Brookville and out of no where the Mark just starts accelerating by itself. I had just went over some Rail Road track at about 15mph. I let off the brake and got back on the gas lightly. The car took off like I had went about half throttle and didn't shift out of first gear till about 5,000rpm. I let off the gas and the car kept accelerating. I know for a fact the Cruise was not on. I pushed the off button just in case and I applied the brakes. I slowed down to about 25mph then released the brake the car took off again. I then placed the car in Neutral with foot off gas pedal and it was reving around 3,000rpm I then while rolling at about 20mph I turned the car off not so much to lock the steering and then restarted the car. Everything was fine after that. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused that? The check engine light never illuminated nor did any other warning light.

hahaha... welcome to my world buddy! STUCK IAC! I took my intake off & a fellow member banged it a couple times & RPMs came back down. However as soon as I started it back up it reved back up. Stuck IAC baby! Ahhh & just like me you have a 1st Gen.... well, lets just say i'm going on 3 weeks like this because I can't reach the bolts back there. Good luck!

IAC, and you are exaggerating some.

I didn't mean it run's away at like full throttle. But everything else is true. My brakes are real weak so yeah they didn't bring my speed down very quickly. I have another thread I've been reading about that. I got my recall done today and hopefully i'll be able to bleed my breaks this weekend and that'll help. If not i'll be asking you all questions about that.

hahaha... welcome to my world buddy! STUCK IAC! I took my intake off & a fellow member banged it a couple times & RPMs came back down. However as soon as I started it back up it reved back up. Stuck IAC baby! Ahhh & just like me you have a 1st Gen.... well, lets just say i'm going on 3 weeks like this because I can't reach the bolts back there. Good luck!

Im assuming just removing the wiper motor cover stuff isn't enough to reach back there. That sucks. So do you have any advice on what I can do to lessen the chance of it happening too often.

Remove cowl, remove throttle body, use a gear wrench...have fun

Here you go... Enjoy!....... or not! :(

46l015.gif

46l015y.jpg

Funny, I never removed the cowl on my 96. I simply removed the throttle body and used an offset wratchet wrench and a 1/4 ratchet. No problem.

Has anyone with this issue also experienced the galloping idle when their IAC starts to go bad?

Just before I totalled my 93, I would start it up and it would gallop a little, I'd have to hold the throttle to keep it steady until it could warm up a bit, or blip the throttle to "clear it out"

Members online

Back