Rims Breaking off Wheel Studs

alternativeguy17

LVC Member
Reaction score
About 6 months ago i started having problems with my aftermarket rims. The problem was that after awhile the rim's would some how completely shear off my wheel studs. I had 2 wheel studs on the front passenger side sheard off and 3 on the back side drivers side sheard off. I almost lost the tire and rim on the drivers back side because of this, while i was driving down the highway. I have since had my factory rims put back on, and haven't had any problems with the wheel studs since. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what i could change to get my aftermarket rims to fit and work on my car without having them shear off anymore wheel studs. A friend of mine thought the rims were out to far for a lug nut to really catch the wheel stud which was causing it to shear off, so maybe longer wheel studs is the soultion. Thanks for any feedback guys.

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

One problem could be that you are not "grabbing" enough stud. What are you torquing the lug nuts to? My alignment guy says no more than 100 ft/lbs. Longer studs maybe the answer if you are not getting enough stud.

Occurs to me the only way a stud would "shear" off is if the wheel rotates on the hub. It could only do that if there was only one stud remaining and the torque caused it to loose it's seat on the hub. If there are still two or three studs remaining, I can't see how a shearing motion would take place. Overtightening would certainly cause a failure and if you have aftermarket studs that are of a lesser quality, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

might be the centring rig on the rim if its not laying down flat

You are probably correct....................

Ric said:
Occurs to me the only way a stud would "shear" off is if the wheel rotates on the hub. It could only do that if there was only one stud remaining and the torque caused it to loose it's seat on the hub. If there are still two or three studs remaining, I can't see how a shearing motion would take place. Overtightening would certainly cause a failure and if you have aftermarket studs that are of a lesser quality, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

They are most likely not shearing off. Actually it would be impossible to only shear off one or two without taking the rest with them. It is most likely caused by overtightening the lugs causing a stress related break due to stretching. Way too many people believe that the tighter the lugs the better, and this could not be further from the truth.

Sorry to tell you this, BUT you have a set of BAD rims. I had the exact same thing happening to me on my work truck. I kept braking and shearing off lugs. I got a new set of rims over two years ago. I haven't broken or sheared one off since.

could it be that your rims are stud centric vs hub centric - meaning that the rim's weight is not on the hub (like the stock one are) and resting on the studs?

the extra weight of the rims over time may be breaking the studs.

you typically fix this by adding rings to the hub -> http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

Members online

No members online now.
Back