Retardedly important tranny q's..

poniesviii

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
First of all, I searched, so I don't need anyone telling me to do what I've already tried.. thanks.. :)

My trans is apart, going back together tomorrow or wednesday.

-Where's the location of the 1-2 spring? I want to take it out, see how I like it. J-mod's done, 300-450. Just want to know the location of the spring. Either I skipped right over this obvious info on tccoa in all the tech links and how to's.. or it's just not there anymore.. I also searched Jmod and nothing regarding the location of this spring came up in all of my reading. I read for quite awhile.

Also, I ordered the MLPS sensor, or at least tried. And not at ford, but after napa didn't know what I was talking about I decided to wait. Then I was at advance. They didn't know what I was talking about either. Told them it tells the trans where the shifter's at. They gave me some dual coil looking selenoid that bolts to the valve body. I didn't look til I got around to pulling crap out after I got the car on the lift like a dummy. So..

-What's the MLPS sensor called? Should I buy this at ford?

-I want to flush the tranny lines. There's some crap in a can called trans flush?? This is the first time I've worked on an auto. Also, do I just run some air through the lines from the air compressor? I'm not taking it in to some shop, it's already all apart and up on the lift.. so what's the best way to do this without some special machine that ford might use?

-It's recommended to get the larger trans pan with the drain plug, .. but I don't have much clearance, how much taller is this pan? Which vehicle was it offered on, or where's the aftermarket source? How many more quarts does it hold? (is it feasable besides the drain plug?)

-Summit offers the B&M cooler, ... Does anybody know offhand if there's any place I can just go and get the thing?

-I've heard the mercon V fluid's pretty pricey .. if price hasn't come down, where's the cheapest place to buy? (prev. owner of my car claimed he spent over 100 bones on mercon V fluid alone)

Any thing else I should be thinking of? Yes I'll drain the converter also, but other than that, anything stand out that I'm forgetting while I'm here?

Any useful info is much appreciated!

Not a pro mechanic, but the MLPS is called the Neutral Safety Switch by the parts folks. Bought mine at Pep Boys, it was the least expensive at $23,and made by Borg Warner.
Not a trans guy either, but they say the 1-2 is easy to get to when you drop the pan,should see a round plug or cap staring at you.

David

Neutral safety switch is the other name for the MLPS.

1-2 spring is the bore on the outside of the case.....you can see it in the upper right hand corner.

images.jpg

Not sure what place is the cheapest for Mercon V, but to give you a general idea on price, i got 12 Qts of Castrol Mercon V from Autozone for 58. (i actually bought 15 Qts, but only got charged for 12 by mistake, cos i sneakily threw 3 extra bottles in the box)

I would only go oem ford for the MLPS, call up Max. If you want a pan with a drain plug get the Uhaul pan, it was an oem Ford pan that came with a factory installed plug for the light trucks that Uhaul bought, hence the name.

If anyone tells you this pan doesn't exist heres a reference for a site that sells them.
http://www.adtr.net/shop.php?page=drivetrain

I think it would be ideal for a car like yours that is so low, the cast pans are considerably deeper, and brittle, or at least more brittle than steel. You would hate to wack the pan on something while your blasting down the freeway.

I would flush the lines with pure tranny fluid, merc 3 should be fine. I wouldn't feel good about introducing a solvent into the trans system anywhere. I would also get a brand new clean cooler, not worth killing a brand new trans with a :q:q:q:q filled one.

While the best place to get the MLPS is Max at fivestar.

you might not have time to wait for shipping to occur as your car is apart and on the lift.

Chain stores sell them.. dont call it a MLPS, they will get confused and not find it.
Tell them you need a neutral safety switch..and wala..they'll find it.
Autozones parts search shows them... 25ish bucks.

ALSO.. check your PM box..and give me a call if I can help you since I'm here in Houston as well.
Tommy

Not a pro mechanic, but the MLPS is called the Neutral Safety Switch by the parts folks. Bought mine at Pep Boys, it was the least expensive at $23,and made by Borg Warner.

David

I think I've heard that?, and just forgot. Hah. Thanks!

Neutral safety switch is the other name for the MLPS.

1-2 spring is the bore on the outside of the case.....you can see it in the upper right hand corner.

Lol. That's the one I almost pulled apart without asking anyone. Thanks Mike

I would only go oem ford for the MLPS, call up Max. If you want a pan with a drain plug get the Uhaul pan, it was an oem Ford pan that came with a factory installed plug for the light trucks that Uhaul bought, hence the name.

If anyone tells you this pan doesn't exist heres a reference for a site that sells them.
http://www.adtr.net/shop.php?page=drivetrain

I think it would be ideal for a car like yours that is so low, the cast pans are considerably deeper, and brittle, or at least more brittle than steel. You would hate to wack the pan on something while your blasting down the freeway.

I would flush the lines with pure tranny fluid, merc 3 should be fine. I wouldn't feel good about introducing a solvent into the trans system anywhere. I would also get a brand new clean cooler, not worth killing a brand new trans with a :q:q:q:q filled one.

The Uhaul pans aren't deeper but add a drain plug? I've considered welding a drain plug in the factory one, But really I'd like a larger pan, maybe I'll just weld a box on the side.

..I think I'll replace my radiator while I'm here, so I'll just figure out some way to clean out the lines..

What would you guys use to clean the lines, radiator detached?

Thanks everyone.

A deep pan is nice, but like I said I wouldn't risk it with how low you are...

I would also just use tranny fluid to flush the lines, it is full of detergents and will clean out crud.

we just flush it with brake clean then blow compressed air through it, and the "bigger" ford pans are only what, half a quart bigger if that, its the ones with the center hump about 3"x4"x1"

You'll want some thing to push that retainer in for the 1-2 piston and springs. That snap ring is tricky.

we just flush it with brake clean then blow compressed air through it, and the "bigger" ford pans are only what, half a quart bigger if that, its the ones with the center hump about 3"x4"x1"

Oh. Well then I already have TWO of the 'bigger' pans. Prev. Owner already performed the spring and mercon V, must've replaced the pan with a newer one? Oh well, I bought a new one just like it.

You'll want some thing to push that retainer in for the 1-2 piston and springs. That snap ring is tricky.

Do you mean something other than taking the snap ring off, taking the spring out, and putting the snap ring back in? I had no trouble.

..I just take the spring out, and put it back together, right? Took me about 15 seconds with a good set of pliers.

Thanks guys. Got the new radiator and other than that the driveshaft's back in and everything else. All I need to replace to have a brand new car is my rear gear and motor. Ha. Sheesh. I should've just bought a junked mark and bought everything new as it turns out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back