Rebuilding front SLA suspension

achesonm8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
After a lot of reading and advice here I have decided to repair the front suspension on my car. I am going to need the following parts, all which appear to be available at RockAuto. I cribbed the list below from a much older thread here (2008). Prices do not appear to have changed much .

UCA (left and right) MOOG # K8781 and K8782 ($79 each)x2
LCA (left and right) MOOG # K80053 and K80055 ($53 each)x2
Strut Rod Bushings at LCA (MOOG K8680) $22
Strut Rod Bushings at K-member (MOOG K8659) $38
Sway Bar End Links (MOOG K8635) ($41 each)x2
Tie Rods (inner) MOOG EV127 ($23 each)x2
Tie Rods (outer) MOOG #ES3H9RL ($37 each)x2

Cost will be about ~$525. Along with the new air shocks I will be investing around 1200 bucks. If anyone has any of these parts in good/new condition at lower cost I would certainly be delighted to purchase!

I hope this not an inappropriate post/request for this forum. Thanks to several members for helping me out with the terminology and giving great advice!
Really appreciate it!

After all your reading you should have noticed not to buy moog srb's
Buy from tously ford. 1-800-328-9552
Unless your ford dealer can beat there price.

Can be gotten at Amazon, couple maker trades like Motorcraft for the outer tie rods (they're actually cheaper), comes to $370.

hopefully someone will be making an in depth guide on it when they do it with lots of pictures and or videos.

I am also gearing up to do this as well. however i found all the parts on ebay for around 300 dollars shipped and that covers drivers and passanger side. the only thing not included were tie rods. i had the moog bushings in the car but ditched em after reading a lot of negative feed back from a lot of different people.

hopefully someone will be making an in depth guide on it when they do it with lots of pictures and or videos.

I am also gearing up to do this as well. however i found all the parts on ebay for around 300 dollars shipped and that covers drivers and passanger side. the only thing not included were tie rods. i had the moog bushings in the car but ditched em after reading a lot of negative feed back from a lot of different people.

Did you buy brand name parts or china stuff?

After all your reading you should have noticed not to buy moog srb's
Buy from tously ford. 1-800-328-9552
Unless your ford dealer can beat there price.

Yes I stand corrected. I cribbed this list. And was advised shortly before posting the list not to purchase Moog SRB's but to replace them with original equipment Ford/Motorcraft). Unfortunately back in August, when trying to sort out driveshaft/transmission noise. the Ford dealership/mechanic suggested I replace the radial arm or strut rod bushings...they used Moog branded bushings. I think I will keep them and see how they hold up....I did a look back in my father's records. He replaced air shocks/uca's/tie rods(?) twice to the tune of abt 3 or 4 kilobucks during the 200k miles that he owned and drove the car. These were the biggest bills in the maintenance of the car. Understandable why people would say f it and go with a coil conversion. At any rate I will check out amazon stuff and tously ford. The old adage that you get what you pay for is not always true..i don't know...but I am having some fun along the way! :)

Scott (achesonm8), here's what I PM'd you yesterday. Best prices were from RockAuto. I priced the same components on Amazon, and they ended up being about $50 more, even though Amazon had free shipping...

MOOG K8781 $62.79 (Mark VIII UCA)

MOOG K8782 $62.79 (Mark VIII UCA)

MOOG K80055 $49.79 (T-Bird LCA)

MOOG K80053 $52.79 (T-Bird LCA)

MOTORCRAFT MEF121 $41.99 x2 (Mark VIII sway bar end links)

I forgot about the tie rods, so here's what I recommend for those...

MOOG EV127 $12.20 x2 *OR* MOOG EV201 $15.76 x2 (Mark VIII inner tie rods)

Moog ES3169RL $33.79

I'll talk to you about the Strut Rod Bushings when I give you a call later today. We may be able to get a set of OEM Motorcraft SRB's for you, sleeves and all.

The picture below is a screenshot from RockAuto.com. Give me your email address, and I can have them email you the shopping cart and save you some time.

RockAuto.jpg

Discount

If you don't have a 5% discount code here's one only good untill 12/2/12. I'm sure many members have them with a longer date. I'll be getting another one soon,just ordered tie rod ends 113636329310831. 5% is better in my pocket. Rock sends them all the time or I'm buying too many parts

Scott (achesonm8), here's what I PM'd you yesterday. Best prices were from RockAuto. I priced the same components on Amazon, and they ended up being about $50 more, even though Amazon had free shipping...

MOOG K8781 $62.79 (Mark VIII UCA)

MOOG K8782 $62.79 (Mark VIII UCA)

MOOG K80055 $49.79 (T-Bird LCA)

MOOG K80053 $52.79 (T-Bird LCA)

MOTORCRAFT MEF121 $41.99 x2 (Mark VIII sway bar end links)

I forgot about the tie rods, so here's what I recommend for those...

MOOG EV127 $12.20 x2 *OR* MOOG EV201 $15.76 x2 (Mark VIII inner tie rods)

Moog ES3169RL $33.79

I'll talk to you about the Strut Rod Bushings when I give you a call later today. We may be able to get a set of OEM Motorcraft SRB's for you, sleeves and all.

The picture below is a screenshot from RockAuto.com. Give me your email address, and I can have them email you the shopping cart and save you some time.

Jay really appreciate your help. Lots of question on my part!
Thanks!
Email:
sacheson@bellsouth.net or acheson850i@gmail.com

If you don't have a 5% discount code here's one only good untill 12/2/12. I'm sure many members have them with a longer date. I'll be getting another one soon,just ordered tie rod ends 113636329310831. 5% is better in my pocket. Rock sends them all the time or I'm buying too many parts

Thanks Man! I owe you 16 bucks...if you are in charlotte, lunch and a brew are on me! That also covers gas costs from Charlotte to Columbia! I could think of a few more equivalents, but it might not be appropriate for this forum.;)

Jay has been a great help. I basically have a new front suspension. Ride is great and I have a much better understanding of how the system works. Rear suspension is in good shape also. Headlamps are next and then maybe a new sound system! Chip after that? Plenty of places to spend money! Fun stuff! :D

Glad I could help you out Scott!

It was cool meeting you and talking Mark VIII's. lol.

Have fun, and enjoy that "new" car!

I rebuilt my entire front suspension last summer.... I would have snapped pics..... but I was black to the elbows after only minutes of working on it each time..... poor car of mine is an oil bomb

Hardest part was making sure your camcentric lower control arm bolts go back in the same spot, removing the front strut rod nuts..... truly a mother! Removing sway bar links if they are original (had to cut the **** out of mine), also sway bar bushings sucked especially if they've never been greased, and R/I'ing upper control arm on drivers side.... remove inner fender liner to access rear nut. Otherwise unplug and move the harnesses coming out of the firewall and go at it with a wrench...... the later of the 2 proved a lot more time consuming.

I've heard this before i think? i should steer clear of the blue Moog strut rod bushings? I think E from AAS was telling me that....can someone confirm?
__
the Tech Articles section has a good write up on Lower ball joint r/r

Yes. And MAKE SURE you put them in the proper place. And put the cup washer on correctly. There is a FRONT and REAR strut rod bushing at the spindle. And they will be labeled as such on the Ford replacements.

Front SRB's you don't much have a choice on, unless you convince DLF to make another set of his fancy replacement sleeves/washers. Then find factory bushings to replace. Or go with the aftermarkets. I have eurathane on mine

After a lot of reading and advice here I have decided to repair the front suspension on my car. I am going to need the following parts, all which appear to be available at RockAuto. I cribbed the list below from a much older thread here (2008). Prices do not appear to have changed much .

Strut Rod Bushings at LCA (MOOG K8680) $22
Strut Rod Bushings at K-member (MOOG K8659) $38

Cost will be about ~$525. Along with the new air shocks I will be investing around 1200 bucks. If anyone has any of these parts in good/new condition at lower cost I would certainly be delighted to purchase!

I hope this not an inappropriate post/request for this forum. Thanks to several members for helping me out with the terminology and giving great advice!
Really appreciate it!

Buy only OEM parts, in the end you will win.
All brands are made in China!

Thanks,
Alexsander.
Lincoln MARK VIII Collector’s Edition #979
https://picasaweb.google.com/102374517780485476514/MyWork#
alsonin@yandex.ru
Staten Island, NY

I did not purchase the tie rod ends, nor did we replace strut rod bushings (post #17) of this thread. Jay can correct me if I am wrong. In August of this year the Ford dealership replaced the front and rear strut or radial arm bushings. The front ones are blue in color and presumably from Moog. The rear ones are black in color. I made the decision to keep those and watch them. Especially the front ones. I don't drive the car that hard so I will watch the front SRB's. I have seen some pictures on this forum that are quite disturbing with respect to those Moog front SRBs! We didn't have to remove the inner bumper guard to get at the d side uca bolt head. On the p side we had a bit of a problem with removing the sway bar end link because of the brake line being in the way. But Jay removed the caliper (so he/we did a brake pad rotor inspection too. ;)). On the D side we removed the sway bar end link earlier in the procedure (I think) so that we didn't have the brake line problem. We removed the flag on the d side rear uca bolt and that made its installation easier. Note I use the term "we" here rather loosely because Jay had both the knowledge, tools and expertise. It would have taken me a lot longer and beside working with an expert is more fun. I have always been rather reluctant to use additives (e.g., STP etc). But the Sea Foam, I have too admit, was fun! Cleaned out something with all that smoke! Looking forward to getting my "eyes" (headlamps) rebuilt and working on the paint and exterior trim. Jays 98 Mk8 is really done nicely and of course I drove home with a head full of ideas for mine. 18 inch wheels...ford focus brakes...the cheap ones from europe ;))

Thanks Jay and you and your lovely wife and daughter are welcome here in Charlotte anytime.

Members online

No members online now.
Back