Rear shock mounts (upper)

Thank you, just read. Some amazing work!! For all the work done:
- would you do it again?
- Are you still riding on them?
- Did they leak?
- How much was the handling improved?

With these no longer available (at least the rear Koni's aren't) I wonder if the Thunderbird SC electronic front shocks would be easier to mod, with their suspension parts plug and play?

(yes I know the UCA won't work with Air shocks, but mostly everything else will) I'm considering buying SC electronic adjustable shocks for the rear, and if it were possible to put the Air bag on the SC front shocks. Would love to have a driver adjustable suspension for height and firmness all on the fly, at the press of a button and the flip of a switch.

Has anyone every heard of this being done to SC shocks? I know front and rears are available currently.

Last edited:
Thank you, just read. Some amazing work!! For all the work done:
- would you do it again?
- Are you still riding on them?
- Did they leak?
- How much was the handling improved?

With these no longer available (at least the rear Koni's aren't) I wonder if the Thunderbird SC electronic front shocks would be easier to mod, with their suspension parts plug and play?

(yes I know the UCA won't work with Air shocks, but mostly everything else will) I'm considering buying SC electronic adjustable shocks for the rear, and if it were possible to put the Air bag on the SC front shocks. Would love to have a driver adjustable suspension for height and firmness all on the fly, at the press of a button and the flip of a switch.

Has anyone every heard of this being done to SC shocks? I know front and rears are available currently.
Yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I don't drive the car very much anymore (probably less than 1000 miles in the last 3 years...), but when I do, it's awesome. I love it. I added the rear 1-3/8" sway bar around the same time, and I gotta say, I don't feel ANY body roll when I'm getting on it on an off-ramp or anything like that.

One of these days (or years, lol) I'll get around to putting on my front suspension braces from Saturn5, and a set of the bushings that I make. At that point, it should be just about perfect.

No leaks whatsoever. After the flood we had in October of 2015, it basically sat in the garage for a year straight, and these didn't leak down at all.

Yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I don't drive the car very much anymore (probably less than 1000 miles in the last 3 years...), but when I do, it's awesome. I love it. I added the rear 1-3/8" sway bar around the same time, and I gotta say, I don't feel ANY body roll when I'm getting on it on an off-ramp or anything like that.

One of these days (or years, lol) I'll get around to putting on my front suspension braces from Saturn5, and a set of the bushings that I make. At that point, it should be just about perfect.

No leaks whatsoever. After the flood we had in October of 2015, it basically sat in the garage for a year straight, and these didn't leak down at all.

Thanks for such great feedback!

Its a shame the Koni adjustable shocks are discontinued. I think that the next best would be the Thunderbird SC shocks (Tokico Illumina Electronically Adjustable Shocks) and try something like you did with the Koni fronts. The new ones are supposed to be 30% stiffer than the original SC shocks and would have the added benefit of switching from soft to firm while driving. Still I would be surprised if the newer Tokico would handle as good as the Koni's.

Rear gas shocks are being sold to fit 96 mk 8 for 120.00 a pair. Thats a rock bottom price . Agree?

Rear gas shocks are being sold to fit 96 mk 8 for 120.00 a pair. Thats a rock bottom price . Agree?
I found new sensatrack for $40 a piece Canadian. I heard these are good for stock replacements.
I would like a firmer ride and if the Cobra's are $110 a piece and Koni's are discontinued, I think I will try the Thunderbird SC shocks (Tokico Illumina Electronically Adjustable Shocks) why not have the convenience of a switch to move from luxury ride to sport ride on the fly for $20 more a shock?

Members online

Back