Rear shock mount question

AndyT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking for the rubber bushings (?) that sit inside the rear shock mounts, around the top of the shock. Am I making any sense here? I'm trying to picture what it looks like, but it's been about a year since I did the conversion, and new shocks, and I'm having trouble remembering. Anyway, I'm looking for those rubber things. Any leads?

Last edited:
They are an assembly
molded to the metal.
Some people buy new ones from arrnot others buy new stainless ones
I just burnt the rubber out of the stock ones and used the bushings from the new cobra shocks.

I should have mentioned that when I got the StrutMasters kit, they included new rear mounts too, but the rubber pieces were separate. When I did the conversion, I did it in my Moms driveway, and my step father, who is an idiot anyway, and who was drunk at the time decided he wanted to help. So, I went inside to use the rest room, and came back outside, and he decided that the bushing didn't fit into the mount, so he cut it apart and put one half on each side of the mount. Hence why I'm replacing it. So... should I contact StrutMasters to see if they can send me new bushings, since they seem to come separate from the mount?

Its Saturday..so here's my instructions ...
Remove the shock mounts ...
Fire up the grill and make some burgers, once they've cooked, toss the mounts in the coals until all the factory bushing has been burned away. Install mount and then install shock as normal. You can get shock bushings in the Help section of any parts store

I may get new OEM ones. But what I'm saying is that the new mounts that I got from StrutMasters aren't one piece! The rubber is separate from the mount! I may just see what my other options are. Thanks.

You should have 2 bushings per shock

Burn out the old rubber from the stock mount. Place washer on the shock, place bushing on the shock, shove shock up into the mount, place other bushing on the shock followed by the other washer, place nut on, tighten. ....

Aren't you done YET

Burning things is so easy, even a caveman could do it

And just fwiw, if this isn't a Sunday driven grocery getter, you're going to be displeased with Strutmasters, even if installed correctly..its a horrible shock...horrible...I just GAVE a complete set away

Burning things is so easy, even a caveman could do it

And just fwiw, if this isn't a Sunday driven grocery getter, you're going to be displeased with Strutmasters, even if installed correctly..its a horrible shock...horrible...I just GAVE a complete set away

I've had them in there for just over a year now. I know exactly what you mean. However, they provided some decent rear shocks. The front coil overs suck. Trust me, I know.

Andy, this is what I use.
http://www.americanairsuspension.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MK8RMTS
I bought them off Jamie and for some reason, I thought it was the other ones that (98lincmk7lsc) makes but his are stainless. Anyway, they are steel and coated and work just fine. I just ordered some Energy Suspension shock bushings just like these because the ones that came with my Monroe Sensatracs SUCK! I have not took out my 200 pound speaker box yet and messed with them but I accidentally ordered two boxes and they charged me double shipping lol. Anyway, if you wanna buy one of these boxes from me, I'll sell one for $9.00 to your door. Looks just like what you see in this pic.

JaysMounts.jpg

You should have 2 bushings per shock

Burn out the old rubber from the stock mount. Place washer on the shock, place bushing on the shock, shove shock up into the mount, place other bushing on the shock followed by the other washer, place nut on, tighten. ....

Aren't you done YET

For some reason, I just saw this post. Thanks for the breakdown. For some reason, I remember the bushings that came with the mounts that StrutMasters provided (because I got a complete kit that included rear shocks as well) were one piece. It was like tiered. You shoved it into the mount with the shock under it, and part of it popped into the mount, then it was smaller on the top, and that went up and through the mount, and made contact with the washer.

Does that make sense? Or am I making myself look like a total idiot right now? :cool:

I'm gonna just climb in my trunk and
babyspoon.gif
myself. Been a while since I put them in and I don't remember the washers I have in there or anything. If the bushings ain't right, I'll buy more.

kirk, you went with stock 97 t bird springs, doesnt eibach or someone offer a lower spring for that car, they have to. i know you want to use the height to your advantage at the strip.

Members online

No members online now.
Back