Rear mount turbo kit lincoln ls

I think one of the major obstacles in using this system in an LS, would be all the plumbing involved. There is not much room to work with under an LS and using a twin turbo setup would double the tubing. Not to mention the oil lines and everything else that goes with those turbos.

I've seen the STS turbo system in person in a Corvette and a Camaro. They both took up a lot of space under and in back of the car. The main thing that always worried me was the air filter down under the back of the car. I wouldn't want to drive through any deep water puddles or in the rain and forget about having your LS lowered.

But the system does work and anything is possible with enough time, money and effort.

Doing a remote TT LS would not add more tubing. Actually the exhaust tubing would be much more simple. When doing a single turbo LS you will need to Y the exhaust under the middle of the car and run a single pipe back to the turbo. This will all be new custom piping. Then if you want to retain the dual exhaust exits you will have to come back out of the turbo split the Y back off and then go to your exhaust outlets. Trust me when I say that it is a respectable amount of custom exhaust tubing work. Then all you have to do is run the cold side intake tubing to the intake.

With a TT system about 90% of your stock exhaust can be reused, as opposed to only about 40% in the single turbo. Your exhaust will be much much simpler, and cheaper I might add. Your intake tubing will be slightly more complex due to the need to merge the two cold side intake tubes before going towards the front of the vehicle. Believe it or not, the tubing on the TT would be much easier for a remote turbo LS.

There are two areas where the mufflers are that will allow a turbo to fit quite nicely. There is enough room to fit the entire turbo and conical filter as well with a small amount of room to spare. It will also allow the turbo to be mounted quite high so that it is not hanging low at all.

There are shields that are made to protect your filter element from rain and puddles. It is made to take quite a bit of direct splashes and still allow the filter to do its job unaffected. Also, I think people are much too concerned than need be on this. I have never taken my LS in more than a few inches of water and I do not see many cases where water crossing, besides the occasional puddle, is necessary. I do not think many people cross creeks in their LS's so I think for most it will not even become an issue. The area where I see concern that is truly warranted is when some of my offroader customers ask about STS turbo systems for their vehicles. That is when the filter placement and turbo placement under the vehicle become extremely critical. I usually steer them towards a PD blower at that point anyways due to them seeking a different kind of power. ;)

Cool!

.....And speaking of cool..... How close together can the hot exhaust and and cool intake pipes be under the car? Are there any heat transfer problems with having the pipes too close together? Or would that be negligible?

its up in the air between 2 shops i cant find the website for one of them but they are both very reputable one has a custom fabed awd sentra http://www.sstracing.com/sublimeweb/custfab.htm the other shop is C & S motorsports but i cant find there site. i dont want to lie but i dont relly know the cost of much of it i will look into costs of things when the time comes but i want to spend under 8k but they get it all winter i want it to be reliable as i will daily drive it as long as its tuneable to 92 octane.

Cool!

.....And speaking of cool..... How close together can the hot exhaust and and cool intake pipes be under the car? Are there any heat transfer problems with having the pipes too close together? Or would that be negligible?

The pipe's can be somewhat close together without getting too much heat transfer. The air moves pretty quickly under there and any heat has allot of places to go so as long as the pipes aren't touching or within an inch or two of each other then it will not be an issue.

I recommend that the exhaust pipe be either fully jethot coated to hold heat in to spool the turbo better or at least spray coat it and header wrap it if in a region where you aren't seeing lots of moisture everyday.

its up in the air between 2 shops i cant find the website for one of them but they are both very reputable one has a custom fabed awd sentra http://www.sstracing.com/sublimeweb/custfab.htm the other shop is C & S motorsports but i cant find there site. i dont want to lie but i dont relly know the cost of much of it i will look into costs of things when the time comes but i want to spend under 8k but they get it all winter i want it to be reliable as i will daily drive it as long as its tuneable to 92 octane.

If they need all winter to do this project then take it somewhere else. From start to finish this project, even if encountering hickups, should not take longer than 3-4 weeks of total shop time to do.

They should be able to do it for less than $8k. I have provided price estimates for my customers for less with everything out the door for a custom LS turbo system fully tuned with all the proper fuel system components and so on. A similar setup but in front mount would break the budget; another benefit of remote mounting.

i dont know how long it will take them. there alittle backed up but there storeing it for me when its done becuse i dont relly need a rwd in the midwest with z rated tires in the snow.

If they need all winter to do this project then take it somewhere else. From start to finish this project, even if encountering hickups, should not take longer than 3-4 weeks of total shop time to do.

They should be able to do it for less than $8k. I have provided price estimates for my customers for less with everything out the door for a custom LS turbo system fully tuned with all the proper fuel system components and so on. A similar setup but in front mount would break the budget; another benefit of remote mounting.

Have you posted an estimate of total cost. I see you say less than 8k, but can you give us a better idea. Also, how is your other post/project coming along?

Have you posted an estimate of total cost. I see you say less than 8k, but can you give us a better idea. Also, how is your other post/project coming along?

There have been a few situations that came up that caused the LS project to be put on temp hold. One was business related and the other was due to an unforeseen family emergency that caused me go out of town for a while earlier this week. I will be able to start on it here soon. Once I complete the project I will be able to provide more accurate cost estimates based upon labor time and such.

small intercooler?

So the idea of a rear mounted turbo sounds great. The idea that just the length of tubing the air has to pass through may cool it down enough is even greater. I'd hate to see a large intercooler defacing my lower grill.

The combined cooling of the longer path the air has to travel and a small, easily hidden intercooler would be perfect for our LSs, wouldnt it?

In addition to the usual upgrades, CAI, catback, tune, would a rear mounted turbo with a small intercooler on less than 5 pounds of boost be OK for a daily driver?

I mean I'd want to keep a low amount of boost on it 'cause I wouldn't really be looking for a huge huge gain in HP. With the usual mods and a rear mounted turbo I'd want to hit around 325rwhp and not put too much stress on the engine. I've got to drive it to work everyday and I'd like a sleeper daily driver not a dedicated racer.

Think one could hit around 325rwhp with just an intake and rear mounted turbo with not too much boost?

So the idea of a rear mounted turbo sounds great. The idea that just the length of tubing the air has to pass through may cool it down enough is even greater. I'd hate to see a large intercooler defacing my lower grill.

The combined cooling of the longer path the air has to travel and a small, easily hidden intercooler would be perfect for our LSs, wouldnt it?

In addition to the usual upgrades, CAI, catback, tune, would a rear mounted turbo with a small intercooler on less than 5 pounds of boost be OK for a daily driver?

I mean I'd want to keep a low amount of boost on it 'cause I wouldn't really be looking for a huge huge gain in HP. With the usual mods and a rear mounted turbo I'd want to hit around 325rwhp and not put too much stress on the engine. I've got to drive it to work everyday and I'd like a sleeper daily driver not a dedicated racer.

Think one could hit around 325rwhp with just an intake and rear mounted turbo with not too much boost?

If you were to go with a remote turbo you would not use your regular CAI or catback exhaust as all new stuff would be made. It would not be worth it to spend money on those two mods only to do a remote turbo later on which would require you to either take them off or hack them all to heck.

You could easily hit 325 rwhp with a system like you described. If running less than 5 psi I do not see the problem with using it as a DD as long as it is tuned well and the bands in the trans are kept well adjusted.

Cool

Not bad, not bad at all. I'm a total noob when it comes to turbos, thanks for the info ILLS. Saving for a remote turbo for a vehicle like this sounds like the way to go. Thanks again.

Zach,

Let me know which shop you are going to use. I have looked into this setup and a shop could fab two just as easy as one. My car is also getting ready to get off the road for the winter. RWD and lowered does not work in Nebraska during the winter.

I was gonna do a front mount turbo kit on my V6 LS.

I'm working with a few local shops down here in South Florida trying to get everything into the green light.

I think a single T57 will wake the car up big time!

You know something? The Lincoln LS is just too sharp of a car to be limited to sub-300 HP. Blue oval should have made this part of the sport package.:D :D :D ILLS, I'm gettin' more and more jealous of your ride the more I read about these.:D I'm a thinkin' I need a turbo Lincoln.

I didnt read through the whole thing because I jsut dont have the time. The pressure in your piping isnt going to decrease any. Its still gonna spool to your WG pressure then release out the WG. the only way to loose pressure for long tubing would be if your engine was displacing soooooo much air that it was sucking it out of the turbo. Then you'd be a tool for putting such a small turbo on a huge engine. Its physics, not a guessing game. Vettes GTO's, Stangs, and camaros are all seeing crazy numbers from rear mount kits. A rear mount elimintates the need for and intercooler too. That allone means more power. Rear mount kits are great! I'm glad someone thought to try it out. Dont quote me per say, but they started in trucks and SUVs for added power. And if anyone questions power from a turbo, 7psi turbo yeilded me a little over 100hp on an 04 Honda civic I was working on. While a 7psi centrifugal SC only got about 40 when we put it on the dyno. Turbos rock, and rear mount kits are lacking nothing!!!! Nice sleeper qualities too if you pipe the blow off to the exhaust pipe cuz you'll never hear it.

If you were to go with a remote turbo you would not use your regular CAI or catback exhaust as all new stuff would be made. It would not be worth it to spend money on those two mods only to do a remote turbo later on which would require you to either take them off or hack them all to heck.

You could easily hit 325 rwhp with a system like you described. If running less than 5 psi I do not see the problem with using it as a DD as long as it is tuned well and the bands in the trans are kept well adjusted.

ILLS, we need to chat some time. As I was reading back through this you were in my head bro! Right on. Except I would hpe to see more than 325 but you did say easily. If tuned right I'd HOPE to see 350 to the wheels

ILLS, we need to chat some time. As I was reading back through this you were in my head bro! Right on. Except I would hpe to see more than 325 but you did say easily. If tuned right I'd HOPE to see 350 to the wheels

It all depends on the amount of boost you were running and the tune. I plan to hit around 360rwhp with my system once I pull it out of winter storage and change the wastegate spring out. The person whom I was talking to in your quoted post was looking for something a little more eased down.

Rwhp

People don't seem to understand how significant of a jump 300+ rwhp is for a pre vvt LS. I'm guessing that with parasitic losses, my '00 is prolly puttin' down about 210hp at the wheels, as opposed to the 250hp factory (crank)spec. When ILLS says he'll be trying to dial in 360RWHP that's about a 50% gain over stock (pre 04?) and still a SIGNIFICANT gain on a 04+. Hopefully this will happen safely with stock engine components, and around 6# of boost? Sounds pretty damn impressive to me. Since seeing some of these setups, I've been researching cost, availability, and simply put, what it would take to do this myself (if I even can). I read about a guy using an eaton off a t-bird and installing it on a v-6 (mitsu) dodge daytona. Not real pretty, but it works. There's a speed shop in Sioux City that put together a 1000HP SC mustang. The guy wasn't happy with that so he pulled the sc and installed twin turbos. Dynod at 1500Hp. The guy still wasnt happy with that, and they're dialing it in for 2K hp(5.4L Triton). This ain't gonna happen with a 3.9 v-8, unless you have a bottomless bank account, and perhaps not even for Daddy Warbucks. Being able to safely boost your engine 50% above stock, when the engine's CR is already high enough to readily burn alchohol, is quite an accomplishment. Cheers to QuickLS and ILLS for havin' the cojones to unleash the potential of these stylin' sedans. The numbers just seem to be getting bigger and bigger.:D :D :D

Yup that was me, and Ills I can't wait to make this happen. The wife is getting better day by day, just some more small hurdles and me and you are in business bro......:D

People don't seem to understand how significant of a jump 300+ rwhp is for a pre vvt LS. I'm guessing that with parasitic losses, my '00 is prolly puttin' down about 210hp at the wheels, as opposed to the 250hp factory (crank)spec. When ILLS says he'll be trying to dial in 360RWHP that's about a 50% gain over stock (pre 04?) and still a SIGNIFICANT gain on a 04+. Hopefully this will happen safely with stock engine components, and around 6# of boost? Sounds pretty damn impressive to me. Since seeing some of these setups, I've been researching cost, availability, and simply put, what it would take to do this myself (if I even can). I read about a guy using an eaton off a t-bird and installing it on a v-6 (mitsu) dodge daytona. Not real pretty, but it works. There's a speed shop in Sioux City that put together a 1000HP SC mustang. The guy wasn't happy with that so he pulled the sc and installed twin turbos. Dynod at 1500Hp. The guy still wasnt happy with that, and they're dialing it in for 2K hp(5.4L Triton). This ain't gonna happen with a 3.9 v-8, unless you have a bottomless bank account, and perhaps not even for Daddy Warbucks. Being able to safely boost your engine 50% above stock, when the engine's CR is already high enough to readily burn alchohol, is quite an accomplishment. Cheers to QuickLS and ILLS for havin' the cojones to unleash the potential of these stylin' sedans. The numbers just seem to be getting bigger and bigger.:D :D :D

I plan to reach that 360rwhp figure while still keeping things safe. I would not even consider that goal worth an attempt if I felt it to be an unsafe one with this car. Too many people use their LS's as daily drivers (myself included in the summer) and doing anything too extreme for this car to handle would be unwise.

Boosting a car like the LS is pretty tricky to accomplish safely mainly due to the high CR. I firmly believe the particular approach that I used in going with the turbo will net good power as well as being safe for the engine and transmission too. :Beer

Yup that was me, and Ills I can't wait to make this happen. The wife is getting better day by day, just some more small hurdles and me and you are in business bro......:D

I am glad to see that. Maybe there will be a few more turbocharged LS's roaming the streets soon.

It all depends on the amount of boost you were running and the tune. I plan to hit around 360rwhp with my system once I pull it out of winter storage and change the wastegate spring out. The person whom I was talking to in your quoted post was looking for something a little more eased down.

Im looking at some custom made rods and pistons for more boost. If I can make it happen, I'll let you know. I wont boost if I cant get 8-12PSI from it, but if I can these rods and pistons, we might be in biz! I'll ask the guy about a possible group buy so the cost drops some. If you know any one or if anyone reading this wants in, let me know. This is still in the very early stages, but more than 5PSI would be a blast to drive!

:iconcur:

Im looking at some custom made rods and pistons for more boost. If I can make it happen, I'll let you know. I wont boost if I cant get 8-12PSI from it, but if I can these rods and pistons, we might be in biz! I'll ask the guy about a possible group buy so the cost drops some. If you know any one or if anyone reading this wants in, let me know. This is still in the very early stages, but more than 5PSI would be a blast to drive!

I recall you mentioning something about a built bottom end for your LS the other day when you called me. I was in a rush at the time but I wanted to ask you what kind of power are you looking for in this whole thing?

I dont have a number in mind. 400 has always been my magic number. Something about Black Sunshine. If we can solve the compression ratio issue and get closer to 10PSI we should be able to blow 400 away. I'm starting out behind you and Quick do to my 1st gen, but thats no excuse. I should be able to hit the same numbers and same times. I'm curious about some other parts of the bottom end. Head studs, sleeves, valve train etc. If we change the comp ratio with some custom forged rods and pistons, will everything else hold up to the added pressure? Valve train probably wont be an issue unless cam work is done, but every chain has a week link.

Members online

Back