Rear mount turbo kit lincoln ls

zachg2001

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
We do it big in Omaha Nebraska. I found a proformance shop that loves the idea of having a rear mount turbo lincoln ls come out of there shop so after winter if everything works out ill have one fast Lincoln!!! heres a picture of a rear mount kit on a camaro
G_TA4.jpg

thats a whole lot of piping. What kind of numbers you get off of that. It's gotta be hard makin alot of boost in 12 foot of intake pipe. Hows the lag also compared to a charger? Are you gonna have a pipe comin out the bumper on one side and a intake filter on the other?

We have a guy on here that says he has something coming but i cant see a rig like that doing much.

Those kits work. And you don't want a lot of boost with the compression ratio that the LS has anyway.

that is most likely the STS turbo kit
http://www.ststurbo.com/home
Here's a link to one of many threads about it on www.cZ28.com where I'm a member.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204097&highlight=sts+turbo&page=2

The beauty or a rear mount turbo is that there's no complex exhaust plumbing required.
A pipe runs back to the engine and easily plumbs into the air intake.
A wastegate controls the level of boost and simple water/methanol injection takes the place of complicated intercooler setups.
The limited cramped space under the hood of the LS is similar to the FBody Camaro/Firebird.
There is some turbo lag but it's the easiest way to add serious boost
with the least amont of work.
It would not be hard to adapt the STS to work on the LS.
The relatively small 3.9 LS V8 would probably only need a small turbo head in comparison to the avg 6 liter engines it's used on.

Cool, I appreciate the whole value in its entirety but its just not the same as a straight forward kit.

I do wish we had more room and understand that is the reasoning, I hope this works well cause this in consumption with the other kit makes even more areas of R&D to be influenced.

Does the exhaust plumbing make up for what the extensive intake plumbing constricts? I mean, it seams like there is alot of intake for forced induction with a kit like that considering it is forced induction.:confused:

keep us posted!

There is some work to be done to make this work in an LS.
You would probably have to combine the dual exhaust pipes into 1
to feed the turbo then split it back after it's been used unless you can live with a single exhaust and a dummy pipe in the back.
This would be the most fabrication but not beyond the capabilities of a compitent exhaust shop.
On the intake side a pipe has to be plumbed along the floorpan which needs to rise into the engine compartment and feed the Throttle Body.
It would have to be able to withstand at least 5 psi and not rupture or blow apart.
An exhisting STS pipe can probably be utilized with some custom work required at the engine depending on where it comes up.
Check valves may need to be added to the PCV system or it may need to be redone to vent to the atmosphere.
The Water/Methanol is mostly a nobrainer having to spray a mist before the TB.
These things are not insurmountable and a lot more practical than trying to plumb the turbos off the factory manifolds or some custom headers or exhaust manifolds and having the head unit under the hood with the related heat space and plumbing issues.

We have a guy on here that says he has something coming but i cant see a rig like that doing much.

Dun, you should really research remote mounted turbo's a little bit more. It is ok if you want to believe that a remote mounted turbo will not "do much" on an LS. You will see numbers and I am sure your tone will change.

I like how there are always people who do not want to accept a new approach to making power in the performance automobile industry. For those of us who have been in the business a while we have seen this way of thinking before. Heck, even as little over 5 years ago people were still talking down on regular front mounted turbo's being able to make the kind of power to win races at the track or be suitable on the street. Those opinions have since been changed by hard results. The same will be said for the remote mounted turbo systems once enough people actually understand how they function, and how to correctly set them up. Until then we will still have disbelievers like you Dun. And honestly that is through no fault of your own. You are just a little misinformed; as allot of people are. That is fine with me, it makes things interesting.

On another note, it will be nice to see other turbo LS's running around out there. It cannot do anything but slightly improve upon the vehicle's image.

thats a whole lot of piping. What kind of numbers you get off of that. It's gotta be hard makin alot of boost in 12 foot of intake pipe. Hows the lag also compared to a charger? Are you gonna have a pipe comin out the bumper on one side and a intake filter on the other?

A turbo moves so much air that making boost in a slightly longer section of pipe like in the remote mounts will be easy.

A remote turbo is sized differently than a front mounted one. Once that is taken into consideration then spool time (lag) is greatly decreased. It is even easily possible to have a remote turbo spool too quickly if sized incorrectly. The name of the game is to have an even balance between maximum power and the kind of spool that you prefer.

In short the turbo will spool to full boost quicker than a comparably sized centrifugal s/c.

An engine of the displacement of 3.9 liters will probably gain about 20 hp per 1lb of boost.
So even a 5psi increase which is pretty modest for a turbo will provide an extra 100 hp.
With meth injection or an intercooler and a turbo tune 8 psi may be possible on stock internals for an increase of 160 hp.
Turbos can put out 15-20+ psi so the sky is the limit.

The boost in my S/C Camaro comes on at 2500 rpm since I'm running a 9 psi pulley.

Dun, you should really research remote mounted turbo's a little bit more. It is ok if you want to believe that a remote mounted turbo will not "do much" on an LS. You will see numbers and I am sure your tone will change.

I like how there are always people who do not want to accept a new approach to making power in the performance automobile industry. For those of us who have been in the business a while we have seen this way of thinking before. Heck, even as little over 5 years ago people were still talking down on regular front mounted turbo's being able to make the kind of power to win races at the track or be suitable on the street. Those opinions have since been changed by hard results. The same will be said for the remote mounted turbo systems once enough people actually understand how they function, and how to correctly set them up. Until then we will still have disbelievers like you Dun. And honestly that is through no fault of your own. You are just a little misinformed; as allot of people are. That is fine with me, it makes things interesting.

On another note, it will be nice to see other turbo LS's running around out there. It cannot do anything but slightly improve upon the vehicle's image.

Here we go with the attitude right off the bat. I never said anything bad about it, I would actually like to know about it thats why I asked these questions. And I also asked numerous questions to you about your kit and you never said anything like this while I was paying attention to it, after we got no where I just fell off the topic, and please lets not go there again. I cant see it doing anything but it does so I am wrong which is why I want to know!

Misinformed? I was never informed THATS WHY IT WAS JUST SIMPLE QUESTIONS or basic conversation!
Don't be such a dick about everything dude, I wasn't being cocky or anything at all!

You got some real touchy nerves man.

Why is it that you just completely ignored post #7?

I think I know why. To just be a dick.

A turbo moves so much air that making boost in a slightly longer section of pipe like in the remote mounts will be easy.

A remote turbo is sized differently than a front mounted one. Once that is taken into consideration then spool time (lag) is greatly decreased. It is even easily possible to have a remote turbo spool too quickly if sized incorrectly. The name of the game is to have an even balance between maximum power and the kind of spool that you prefer.

In short the turbo will spool to full boost quicker than a comparably sized centrifugal s/c.

It just seems like if you stomp on the gas it would create a dramatic drop in pressure it all that tube which would take longer to get the boost back up. But your saying the blades have a modified angle for a rear mount turbo to make up for this.

Here we go with the attitude right off the bat. I never said anything bad about it, I would actually like to know about it thats why I asked these questions. And I also asked numerous questions to you about your kit and you never said anything like this while I was paying attention to it, after we got no where I just fell off the topic, and please lets not go there again. I cant see it doing anything but it does so I am wrong which is why I want to know!

Misinformed? I was never informed THATS WHY IT WAS JUST SIMPLE QUESTIONS or basic conversation!
Don't be such a dick about everything dude, I wasn't being cocky or anything at all!

You got some real touchy nerves man.

Why is it that you just completely ignored post #7?

I think I know why. To just be a dick.

Dun, I did not post here in order to get on your case. I actually posted here to clear a few misconceptions up. In fact, truth be told I was trying to somewhat go to bat for you as one of those under-informed people making it clearly understood that it usually is not your fault for having the wrong info. Regardless of my intent you always seem to take it the wrong way so I give up with you. Have a nice day.

It just seems like if you stomp on the gas it would create a dramatic drop in pressure it all that tube which would take longer to get the boost back up. But your saying the blades have a modified angle for a rear mount turbo to make up for this.

Well the turbine A/R housing has allot to do with the spool time. The turbine wheel itself does also, but spooling is usually controlled more-so by the turbine housing than any other component on a turbo. For instance, you will see allot of front mounted turbo's running a turbine housing with an A/R of 1.0 and above. You usually see allot of remote mounted turbo systems with turbine A/R housings in the .58 to .68 range depending on the turbo combo and engine displacement. That smaller A/R is meant to take better advantage of the already expanded and now cooling exhaust gasses. A remote mounted turbo will have less ability to make as much maximum power as a front mount. That becomes critical when running very high boost in a racing application. This doesn't even become a factor in the situation that the LS is in due to its low boost threshold.

A while ago I watched an episode of Horsepower TV where they put an STS kit on a Corvette. They said that due to the extra amount of piping you lose about 1lb of boost, but it also cools a lot more on the way to the engine.

im not doing the turbo kit but i know somewhat of how its going to be done, ill will mostlikely only have exhaust on one side, and where going to shoot for 6 lbs of boost and try to tune it at 6lbs for 92 octane

Dun, I did not post here in order to get on your case. I actually posted here to clear a few misconceptions up. In fact, truth be told I was trying to somewhat go to bat for you as one of those under-informed people making it clearly understood that it usually is not your fault for having the wrong info. Regardless of my intent you always seem to take it the wrong way so I give up with you. Have a nice day.

zach, can you shoot a link, maybe to the shop that is doing the kit for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, I appreciate the whole value in its entirety but its just not the same as a straight forward kit.

I do wish we had more room and understand that is the reasoning, I hope this works well cause this in consumption with the other kit makes even more areas of R&D to be influenced.

Does the exhaust plumbing make up for what the extensive intake plumbing constricts? I mean, it seams like there is alot of intake for forced induction with a kit like that considering it is forced induction.:confused:
keep us posted!
And again......

Maybe I should consider 04sctls's links.

So like I said... just admit you jumped on my back again for no reason. Why the hell would I want confrontation? Who the hell am I confronting? Its a damn monitor screen with some black text on it!

Zach, do you have the cost tallied up at all for this kit?

There is some work to be done to make this work in an LS.
You would probably have to combine the dual exhaust pipes into 1
to feed the turbo then split it back after it's been used unless you can live with a single exhaust and a dummy pipe in the back.
This would be the most fabrication but not beyond the capabilities of a compitent exhaust shop.

Would a twin turbo system work in this application (one for each exhaust line)? or would that be a case of deminishing returns for the expence involved?

forgive the ignorant question I am not intimately familiar with turbos

I think one of the major obstacles in using this system in an LS, would be all the plumbing involved. There is not much room to work with under an LS and using a twin turbo setup would double the tubing. Not to mention the oil lines and everything else that goes with those turbos.

I've seen the STS turbo system in person in a Corvette and a Camaro. They both took up a lot of space under and in back of the car. The main thing that always worried me was the air filter down under the back of the car. I wouldn't want to drive through any deep water puddles or in the rain and forget about having your LS lowered.

But the system does work and anything is possible with enough time, money and effort.

Would a twin turbo system work in this application (one for each exhaust line)? or would that be a case of deminishing returns for the expence involved?

forgive the ignorant question I am not intimately familiar with turbos

Twins would not really be worth it in an LS. These higher CR engines can only take so much boost. A single remote mounted turbo will spool just fine and make great power. Now, if you were to get a built bottom end and really turn the wick up then a TT system would be more beneficial from a power and financial standpoint.

Members online

No members online now.
Back