Really need some help now!!!!!

defflepp1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i need help solving some MORE problems with the mark. yesterday night it developed a miss and now a shudder in the trans. the miss is kinda come and go, but when its here, its here from idle all the way through the RPM range. the plugs, wires and coils are all new. whats the problem? no check engine light, no warnings of any sort. the shudder is all the time when driving, not when stopped. the best way i can describe it is a very big vibration through the entire car. i NEED as definitive answers as possible NOW, if anyone lives around Cedar Rapids IA who knows what there doing with these cars wants to come by and take a look that would be great.

Could be your transmission needs the complete fluid drain with Mercon 5, for the shudder.
You did not state what gen Mark you have, that will help trouble shooting for the miss.

Get a 98+ trans and install after doing a j-mod to it and swapping the electrical internals out for over a $1000.00 less. You'll never feel shudder again. Don't waste the money flushing the junk trans, it will only get worse. If you pay the $1500+ to rebuild it, it will still be junk when it's done.

so do you guys think it would be worth trying to fix this car with all the problems it has?

i need help solving some MORE problems with the mark. yesterday night it developed a miss and now a shudder in the trans. the miss is kinda come and go, but when its here, its here from idle all the way through the RPM range. the plugs, wires and coils are all new. whats the problem? no check engine light, no warnings of any sort. the shudder is all the time when driving, not when stopped. the best way i can describe it is a very big vibration through the entire car. i NEED as definitive answers as possible NOW, if anyone lives around Cedar Rapids IA who knows what there doing with these cars wants to come by and take a look that would be great.

If it didn't do it before and is doing it now all of a sudden, check obvious things first-is it low on trans fluid?
Have you done a basic service on this trans yet (should be the FIRST THING done when you buy an old Mark, the Mercon that it came with it is junk). A trans service, with filter and 11-12 quarts of Mercon V will probably fix it if it is not too far gone. You need to drain the TC too, and if the 1-2 accumulator was not done, replace it too with the upgraded parts. After that, you can do the jmod if your trans isn't toast.
-Then you can go whole-hog and get a 98 trans, TC, and gold-plate it hopefully with other contributor's credit cards.
If only it were a perfect world......:p

If you trans fluid is not RED, do NOT flush it, rebuild the trans

what are the chances that doing a service on the trans will fix the problem being that, it just started doing it and the fluid is still red? and how much work is it to do the 1-2 accumulator and what is the cost?

what are the chances that doing a service on the trans will fix the problem being that, it just started doing it and the fluid is still red? and how much work is it to do the 1-2 accumulator and what is the cost?

30 min, around $65 and you will still have shudder. I have been there and done that and if you rebuild that trans, just remember that I said you will be rebuilding a POS. It's not worth the money it would cost to rebuild that trans unless you want to surpass the $1500 or more money mark.

30 min, around $65 and you will still have shudder. I have been there and done that and if you rebuild that trans, just remember that I said you will be rebuilding a POS. It's not worth the money it would cost to rebuild that trans unless you want to surpass the $1500 or more money mark.

I'm out of my depth here, but I thought the trans were all the same, but that the upgrade on the 98 was the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator thingies?

Are there other, more significant differences between the pre 98 tranny's and the 98's?

is there any specific problem i should be looking for or just do a once over of the whole thing?

basic trouble shooting applies here.

when something happens after you've changed something, you always go back and check what you changed, first.

i doubt seriously you have a trans problem causing this issue, but upgrading the accumulators and fluid is never a bad idea.

another thing/suggestion: put some info in your sig file!!!

that way people can easily see what year model car and mods you have.
since the different years, have different issues and troubleshooting steps.

did you put MSD wires or ACCEL coils on your car?

I'm out of my depth here.
Are there other, more significant differences between the pre 98 tranny's and the 98's?

yes there are significant differences, but since your admittedly out of your depth, the typing out words you dont understand would be pointless.

suggested reading the Transmission article in TCCOA.

hint: mechanical oneway diode

did you put MSD wires or ACCEL coils on your car?

yes i put accel coils in and some of NAPA's brand wires. and to give you a better idea of what it is doing. from the back of the engine, by the TB, it is making a very quite sound like a go kart(watch any video of a go kart and youll know what i mean) but thats just coming from inside the engine not out the exhaust. now i was just able to talk to my brother who had the car the night before it started acting up and asked him if he :q:q:q:qed with anything he said the only thing he did was a small burnout. could that be the reason for the sudden problems

Members online

No members online now.
Back