Quick question on brakes

Blair

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So when i brake i get a front end shimmy, this is new, and i am assuming i need new rotors? Am i correct?

If so, I see posts about the R1 Concepts, any other recommendations?

This is just me but I bought new rotors from O'Reilly's in 2005 when I bought my car and brakes and it had 164,000 then and now it has 181,000 and I am still riding the same rotors and have changed the rear brakes once since then but it was because they were put in wrong. Now all is good and the rotors were not hurt in any way, just wore the pads down. Front brakes are still good and no shimmy.

This is just me but I bought new rotors from O'Reilly's in 2005 when I bought my car and brakes and it had 164,000 then and now it has 181,000 and I am still riding the same rotors and have changed the rear brakes once since then but it was because they were put in wrong. Now all is good and the rotors were not hurt in any way, just wore the pads down. Front brakes are still good and no shimmy.

Please explain how someone could put front pads in wrong?:confused:

You could also get a shimmy from worn tires, bad alignment or worn struts.
Granted its more then likely rotors, they are small and heat up easy and if used when hot they can warp. I replaced mine with drilled/sloted rotors and they have been much better when having to use the brakes allot.

Please explain how someone could put front pads in wrong?:confused:

Didn't say the front, I said the rear. The piston wasn't turned in the right position and something else but my dad done them while I was doing the front and he said he had them in right but I found out differently when I had to change them out. The front brakes that I put in are still doing fine. Just checked them again today after installing another steering rack. That was fun!

Changed mine recently too. I've heard the front rotors on these cars get pretty hot. Makes sense when you have to stop 2 tons. Odds are better than average yours warped. A fellow enthusiast said the same thing kept happening to him and he fixed it with drilled/slotted rotors. I'm gonna do the same.

Yup, they just heat up too much. There is a place on ebay that has them for $120-130 for the front rotors and ceramic pads. Thats where I gotmine from and they are a year old now. They have worked excellent with no issues. Much better then the stockers ever did.

Members online

No members online now.
Back