Question about sealant for headlights...

black_lincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I`m gettin ready to remove the amber lens in my headlights and the only sealant i have seen so far was some "high-heat red rtv silicone( gasket maker)" .. brand is "permatex"can this be used? the ones i have seen in the past were black. so i`m not totally sure if it can work.. thanx in advance guys.. jace

Please let me know also since i have to do this since im getting the water and some sort of condensation inside my headlamps

Thanks

sounds good to me.. as soon as i get some time i`ll be doin it.. appreciate the quick answer quik..

jace

Quik LS said:
yes - basically any quality 'high-heat' silicon will work.

Lou, is it possible to have a leak around where the bulb inserts into the housing?

I guess it is - I have never heard about one.

if there is not a good seal on the bulb you can try running a very light rub of oil on the seal.

In my dealer here in PR they Drill a hole on the bottom of the headlight so i coul breathe and i think my heads are Original can i do this hole then and will it help me??

if you look at the headlights - there are already two 'breather' holes in the back of the lens. they have little rubber tubes on them that are suppose to act like 'check valves'.

I wouldnt do that. here in florida, it is so humid sometimes, i cant even open my windows. defrost doesnt work either, just makes my windshield on the outside fog up. i recommend following the procedure ken uses when he does headlights. time consuming, but worth every minute. i just buffed out my drivers side and resealed it. if you allow any wetness in the light, then it will trap any and all and continue to build up until its fogged up again, not to mention the discoloration. if any water is going in through the light holes do what quik said and there shouldnt be any water in that area unless your washing your engine.

lets look at the physics here. condensation and fogging on the inside would be caused when the air inside the lens is significantly HOTTER than the air on the outide of the lens and when relative humidity is high INSIDE THE LAMP. humidity would be a non factor at lower temperatures as the air can't hold any substantial moisture. SO, I would think that the only possible way to get fogging and condensation would be if the lights were retaining standing water and temperatures were COOL outside. I think once the lights are on and heat up the standing water would be allowed to convert to vapor and as that air/vapor moves near the colder lenses it condenses again and the air cools down. I think if you were to drill holes in the BOTTOM (effectively draining any water and not allowing water to accumulate in the future) it would alleviate any possible fogging/condensation.

Members online

Back