Question about Check Engine Light

KC96LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just got my car going after about 4 months, with a lot of thanks to chargerxr. Just an FYI to anyone who might deal with chargerxr, you won't find a better person to do business with. To get to my question, after I let it run for awhile I shut it down for 1.2 hr and then decided to take it for a drive. First of all my check engine light is on all the time to begin with but as I started to accelerate up a hill it started to flash. After about 15 flashes it stopped and it went back to a solid light. Any ideas? I drove it around the block after that and it didn't happen again. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Greg

Flashing only means misfire. Get codes read and get back to us. You don't want to drive around alot with misfire.

Blinking CEL means the misfire is bad enough that it can cause damage to your cats. Solid could still be a misfire but not as bad.

I would first get what code/codes are happening, see what cylinder was misfiring, and troubleshoot it from there. Could be coil, spark plug wire, spark plug, injector, compression, a ton of things that can cause a misfire.

The main reason I get a solid CE light is that I have removed the cats over the years as they would get clogged up. The 2 right off of the exhaust manifolds are the ones that were hollowed out. I can get a code reader tomorrow so that's what I will do. Thanks for the knowledge guys.

missing cats will cause a steady MIL and like the others said flashing means severe misfire

Thanks Ult, It's been a while since I've been on here. It's been kind of a tough run for sometime. It feels good just to be going through the different post and reading about our AWESOME cars:). I hope life has been treating you well brother. On a side note, is there a way to remove the CE signal from the CATS so I could use the CE light again like it's designed to be used? I've always hated the fact that it's on all the time and worry that it might cost me someday.

You can either get the post cat o2s tuned out by someone who has the stuff to do that or you can search the web for fake O2 plugs that send out an all clear signal all the time to fool the computer.

I am assuming your mark is OBD2, OBD1 doesn't have post cat o2 sensors. (I see your username but who knows, lots of guys here have multiple marks)

Thanks for the info soduka. Here are the codes I just pulled:
new diagnos pics 022.jpgnew diagnos pics 023.jpgnew diagnos pics 024.jpgnew diagnos pics 025.jpgnew diagnos pics 026.jpgnew diagnos pics 027.jpg

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I'm going to make another thread so someone else can use the info too, thanks again for any help.

new diagnos pics 022.jpg

new diagnos pics 023.jpg

new diagnos pics 024.jpg

new diagnos pics 025.jpg

new diagnos pics 026.jpg

new diagnos pics 027.jpg

IMRC...aren't those the extremely rare '96 only part that fail pretty often?

IMRC...aren't those the extremely rare '96 only part that fail pretty often?

they are a one year part that my 196k mile car has no issues with...
the problem is that when the vacuum plunger boot cracks (same design/issue as 93/95 cars), its hard to find a replacement.
some members have successfully swapped the boots, and others install 93-95 actuators and tune out the CEL.

Hey Greg. I made it back from Seattle. Code 1537 is likely caused by the bank 1 intake manifold runner control actuator going bad. They use vacuum to hold the runner closed at low rpm. The vacuum pod has likely failed and as Chris said very hard to find 1 year only part. We will have to do some checking before we condemn the actuator though. I've sold all of the ones I had, and now have a 96 that I think needs one also. The p0412 code is most likely caused by a seized air injection pump. Check the 30 amp thermactor fuse in the underhood fuse block as well as the 10 amp eam fuse in the same block. See if either one is blown, and we'll go from there.

Hey Rog, the #2 fuse 30 AMP was blown, it was the only one. I'm going to go to the pick and pulls and hope I win the lottery:)
Text or call me if there is some part you need other than IMRC hopefully you need the driver side one and we both win.

Hey Greg. I made it back from Seattle. Code 1537 is likely caused by the bank 1 intake manifold runner control actuator going bad. They use vacuum to hold the runner closed at low rpm. The vacuum pod has likely failed and as Chris said very hard to find 1 year only part. We will have to do some checking before we condemn the actuator though. I've sold all of the ones I had, and now have a 96 that I think needs one also. The p0412 code is most likely caused by a seized air injection pump. Check the 30 amp thermactor fuse in the underhood fuse block as well as the 10 amp eam fuse in the same block. See if either one is blown, and we'll go from there.

Roger, Sapperfire has rebuilt the actuators before I'm sure if you PM him he will tell you what he did I cant seem to fund the post.
Found this post
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?84040-96-mark-viii-imrc
According to Mike
If the sensor is bad, find a set of older gen1 imrcs, install them and have the fault code shut off with a tune.

Problem solved.

Good luck love that two tone car.

Thanks Kirk. I remember when sapp rebuilt those, and I have thought about tearing into some also. I know I saved some bad ones just for that purpose. I just have to find them in all of my parts. I haven't had a 96 for awhile, except the car I just brought back from Seattle. I think I might have it sold already, so I might just tell the new owner about it and let them deal with it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back