Puzzeled, Car will not crank

shadowhatz

LVC Member
Reaction score
Drove my car to work as normal, came out to go home and it would not crank. Battery is strong, lights work, radio works....when I turn the key it is dead! Tried to jump just in case and nothing. Could this be security system? Please help, I'm towing it home tomorrow.

Nothing, its a 2000 V8 LS. All the lights and gauges work fine. When I run the status everything says is fine...Any suggestions?

Watch the PATS light on the dash. If it flashes an error code, there is a TSB that covers this (I think the code is 12). If everything looks normal, there's just no cranking, check the starter relay in the power distribution box in the engine compartment. The PDB is on the leading edge of the passenger-side wheel well, behind the passenger-side headlights. If the starter relay (relay #13, IIRC; it's listed in the manual) doesn't work, everything will act like a normal start, but you'll get a no-crank condition. You might be able to thump the relay and "un-stick" it temporarily, but if it's the problem, you'll need to replace it. As I understand it, all you need to do is pull the bad relay and plug the new one in its place, but mine was fixed under warranty, so I haven't done it myself.

Don't have another so that's out and have to have the car at the dealer to get a key. Troed the thumping on the relay...no luck. How do I read the PATS error light. It certainly does flash. Thanks guys for your help,I really love my LS, but some of these probs are a pain in the ___

I think you Just count how many times it blinks.

I think you Just count how many times it blinks.
Yup. If it's flashing regularly, that's normal. If it's flashing in a pattern, it's showing an error code. F'rinstance, if it's going blink....blink blink.....blink....blink blink, that would be 12. I think. I've read about it, and I've seen the TSB, but I've never seen the PATS light actually flash an error code--my only starting problem was the bad relay.

This same thing happened to me man, but for some reason it was my key.. i inserted it upside down and it worked fine.. seems unlikely.. but give it a try.

Man I hope it's that easy....I'll try the key then will give the relay a shot. Counting flashes may be the route as well. That's why I really like this forum

I also had the relay problem, you can switch it with the ac relay right next to it. Also there was someone on here that had a loose starter cable that goes behind the front right wheel well. Hopefully just the relay.

mine turn out to be the battery. I would try it and the alarm would come on after I turned it back to the off position. My battery was less then 6 months old they replaced it for free.

I had a situation like this with a Porsche I once owned... It was the low oil level sensor acting up. I'm not too sure if the LS has one or not.

WOW, lots of good stuff. I will let you guys know what the resolution is after this weekend. And thanks for the posts

nyc ls8 sounds like hes right try another key if you dont have one seems like your going to have to take it to the dealer and get 2 programmed never herd of counting the light for error codes but if your theft light is flashing when you turn the key on the pats system is shutting down your ignition system do you have a remote starter in the car ? maybe the wires came undone there sometimes they will take a programmed key and hide it under the dash and rap it with wire and run it up to the transciever and wrap it around it and somtimes thay use a relay box but it really sounds like you got a bad key or transciever

Won't turn over

Check to see if you might have a loose cable connection to your starter. If everything electrical works but your starter, you may not be getting power there, or the starter might be bad. Check connections first.
KenS from Ben's Place

I had exactly the same problem with my 2000 V8 LS. I checked the relay...checked out ok....still had problem! Switched the A/C relay and the starter relay for a couple of days....made no difference...still had problem. Was convinced it was not the relay. Had all the tests on the wiring ran.....I even personally checked the connections in the passenger inner finder....they were tight! Worked with this for 6 months trying to figure out where the problem was, wondering if it was going to start the next time I put the key in...I went back to basics and replaced the starter relay. That was 3 months ago...no problems since!
Putting off buying that $4 part wasn't worth the misery! Make sure you do this before you do anything else!

Man I hope it's that easy....I'll try the key then will give the relay a shot. Counting flashes may be the route as well. That's why I really like this forum
:I I just learned a few things too!....remember jumping your solenoid with a screwdriver to start your car...ahh the good ole days ;) I wish the Marks had that PATS light!
Smooches
MsM8

My brothers, this has been a nightmare!!! My beloved Lincoln is now at the dealer. They have tried relays, new key, transciever, and now we are awaiting the arrival of the instrument cluster....I'll let you know the final resolution........AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Members online

Back