Purchase of a Zephyr or Acura?

DixieRambler

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I looked at a 2006 Zephyr today for my wife's daily driver. It sure is a nice car. I see in this forum where others don't care for it much. Also looked at a bunch of jap rides like the Acura and Nissans. The Nissan did not come close to having as nice an interior as the Zephyr or the Acura. The Acura was pretty nice, I thought, on the inside and outside. but not quite as nice as the Zephyr. I think it was a RL or TL. I know I'll probably catch hell here for considering the Acura. With all the talk about the new MKS (X)? I might wait till they come out. Any Zephyr owners out there that can chime in and let me know what you think about your cars? Price wise, the Acura and Zephyr are pretty close. Plus, I think Lincoln has extended the warranty to 6 years or 70,000 miles whichever comes first.

Thanks,

Jim

How long do you plan on keeping it? I say that because of the depreciation on American cars. If you plan on 5-6 years, I'd say go with the Zephyr although if you can wait, the bigger (hp) motor is supposed to be occupying the engine bay in the new MK (gag nomenclature).

Can't believe they raped the Mark name.

MonsterMark said:
How long do you plan on keeping it? I say that because of the depreciation on American cars. If you plan on 5-6 years, I'd say go with the Zephyr although if you can wait, the bigger (hp) motor is supposed to be occupying the engine bay in the new MK (gag nomenclature).

Can't believe they raped the Mark name.

Probably will be keeping it for 5 to 6 years. Any idea when this new MK (cough) is to be released? I'm trying to go with the gas mileage thing. My wife is driving a 2005 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 4X4, V8, with all the crap you can get on one. But it only gets about 13 MPG.

Thanks,

Jim

DixieRambler said:
Probably will be keeping it for 5 to 6 years. Any idea when this new MK (cough) is to be released? I'm trying to go with the gas mileage thing. My wife is driving a 2005 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 4X4, V8, with all the crap you can get on one. But it only gets about 13 MPG.

Thanks,

Jim
I don't know but they already have a review on the MKS, wouldn't that mean you can buy one now. Anyways, if its not out, I would wait for it because you will get the nice interior and the same power as the TL which the Zephyr is weak on.

mark0101 said:
I don't know but they already have a review on the MKS, wouldn't that mean you can buy one now. Anyways, if its not out, I would wait for it because you will get the nice interior and the same power as the TL which the Zephyr is weak on.

I read somewhere the pricing is set to be released in September. Cars to be out by Fall. BTW....that's a pretty nice stable of thoroughbreds you have there:Beer

Thanks,

Jim

mark0101 said:

I read somewhere the pricing is set to be released in September. Cars to be out by Fall. BTW....that's a pretty nice stable of thoroughbreds in the pic:Beer

Thanks,

Jim

I would go with a TL. I drove a Zephyr a while ago and wasn't much impressed by anything. It's not bad, but doesn't feel any luxurious or sporty. Maybe, you could look at the new Camry XLE V6, although they are only Toyotas, but still really good cars.

I guess I am the only actual Zephyr owner that is willing to post anything. I like the TL but I see them all the time. Don't get me wrong, the TL's are nice cars but if you want to be a little more original then wait for the 2007 MKZ it will have almost the same power, all-wheel drive and be something you don't see everyday. The only thing that turned me off about the Acuras was the interior, and think about it the interior is where you will spent 90% of your time. I get about 22 mpg in the Zephyr and I use the A/C generously and hot rod it every once in a while!! It too is my wife's commuter. Hope this helps a little.

Lincoln Luebbe said:
I guess I am the only actual Zephyr owner that is willing to post anything. I like the TL but I see them all the time. Don't get me wrong, the TL's are nice cars but if you want to be a little more original then wait for the 2007 MKZ it will have almost the same power, all-wheel drive and be something you don't see everyday. The only thing that turned me off about the Acuras was the interior, and think about it the interior is where you will spent 90% of your time. I get about 22 mpg in the Zephyr and I use the A/C generously and hot rod it every once in a while!! It too is my wife's commuter. Hope this helps a little.

Hey thanks for your reply,

I appreciate the honesty. Yes, I agree with you after seeing the interior on both cars. The Lincoln is by far much nicer. Since my wife would be driving it 95% of the time, horsepower isn't my biggest concern. I really want reliability over the long term. With Lincoln coming out with basically the same warranty as the Acura, it makes me lean to the Lincoln.

Anybody heard when they will be out? MKZ..............

Thanks,

Jim

Yes, I'm sure you have heard about the new 6 year, 70,000 mile warranty on all 2007 Lincolns. Kind of cool, you should be able to do around 5 years worth of driving without any worries. 9000 miles for me and no problems yet! I am pretty sure the Mkz will be out within the next couple of months. Mid-October at the latest.

Lincoln Luebbe said:
Yes, I'm sure you have heard about the new 6 year, 70,000 mile warranty on all 2007 Lincolns. Kind of cool, you should be able to do around 5 years worth of driving without any worries. 9000 miles for me and no problems yet! I am pretty sure the Mkz will be out within the next couple of months. Mid-October at the latest.

Yea, the announcement of the warranty certainly makes me lean to the Lincoln. While talking to an Acura salesman (a real dickhead), he kept saying they had a better warranty than the Lincoln. Prior to this, they did. But he didn't believe me when I told him aboujt the new Lincoln warranty. In fact, he became quite an ass about it when I challenged him to call the local Lincoln dealer down the road to confirm what I said. All in all, the only differences I see b/t the two cars is the Acura has more horsepower and a better resale value. Other than that, they appear to be about the same. The specs on both are so close, you could probably take the body off one and put it on the frame of the other and not be able to tell. With the end of the year coming, I was hoping the dealers would be sucking hind tit trying to get rid of them. I like going and looking and comparing the cars but, I sure hate dealing with the salesman. Sometimes, they talk to you like your an idiot. I had one salesman, one mentioned above, try to tell me the Acura was by far the better vehicle. Yet when asked to explain his reasoning, all he could come up with was the warranty issue and better resale. Finally, after listening to his BS, I told him I was driving and buying cars back when he was waitin on his first "wet dream". To say the least, we didn't buy from him.

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear the Zephyr is working out for you. I hope to be in one in the next several days!

Jim

DixieRambler,

You might want to wait to get the new MKZ. it should be out in a couple months, and if you read the Edmunds review which I posted in this forum, the new engine + tranny make a huge difference they say. It turns into a real sporty car.

i was saddly proved wrong about lincoln values when i first came on to this site, i was sad when i saw the quality of the lincoln ls, and i was sad when i saw how expensive it is to fix the ls. I love my car with all my money, but if I had the choice again it would probably be an acura or a nissan.
View attachment 21236

Last edited:
Most sales people do not know anything about what they are paid to sell. I can't tell you how many times the sales people make complete fools of themselves when trying to tell me about a car. I am a younger guy and most times when I go into a luxury showroom I can't even get someone to talk to me, unless I pull up in my Lincoln. All they care about is the commision check. When they find out I am eligble for the D plan they pretty much have no more interest in talking to me. To be honest I can find out more about the vehicle by reading the sticker and without one of them breathing down my neck. If you haven't already got a Zephyr, do yourself a favor and get the MKZ. The sales of the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr have increased ever since it was introduced, to be honest I do not think they will be giving really big dicounts on them until after the 2007's are on the lot. If you can drive both and them compare (Zephyr and MKZ) which one you like more. Let us all know, and post pics! Good luck!

According to the sales data that came out today, Ford sold a record 22,000 some Fusion/Milan/Zephyrs in August 2006.

The MKZ will also do very well, since it offers significant upgrades for just $1000 to $1500 more.

captainalias said:
According to the sales data that came out today, Ford sold a record 22,000 some Fusion/Milan/Zephyrs in August 2006.

The MKZ will also do very well, since it offers significant upgrades for just $1000 to $1500 more.

The MKZ is sounding better everyday. I will probably wait for it to come out.

Thanks,

Jim

MKZ pricing info just released:

Lincoln has officially changed the name of its entry-level luxury sedan from Zephyr to MKZ, and is reintroducing it for 2007 with a new engine, styling tweaks and the availability of all-wheel drive for the first time ever on a Lincoln car.

The new engine is Ford's 3.5-liter V6 rated at 263 horsepower. The MKZ will be its first application in a car, though it will be used in the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX CUVs, as well. The transmission is a six-speed automatic that, if our memory hasn't failed us, is the one developed in conjunction with GM rather than sourced from one of Ford's suppliers.

It's difficult to see the styling tweaks made to the MKZ, but supposedly they're there. The car's interior, perhaps its most polarizing feature (we liked it when we reviewed the Zephyr), remains in tact and can be had with genuine wood, leather and satin nickel trim.

Finally, the MKZ gets all-wheel drive for 2007. Combined with the potent powerplant and a ride tuned for "luxury performance", the new MKZ should be a much better athlete than its short-lived predecessor.

The 2007 Lincoln MKZ starts below the magic $30k mark with a base price of $29,890 for a front-wheel drive model (just $230 more than the base price of the Zephyr) and $31,765 for the all-wheel drive model including destination and delivery. It'll hit showrooms in October with a six-year / 70,000-mile powertrain warranty.

more info & pix here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/11/zephyr-we-hardly-knew-ya-lincoln-introduces-2007-mkz-under-30/

Forget about the Zephyr, It's history, Go for the 2007 Lincoln MKZ, Now is the right time to by it since it has the all new 3.5 Duratec V6 with 263HP, over the 3.0 with 221HP. 42 HP is a big boast, along wih the extra Torque.

Also with the Available All Wheel Drive. Now this car can really compete with Nissan and Acura. Reviews for the Zephyr have been positive so the MKX should be better and pick off where the Zephyr cound'nt match.

Or go for the MKX. It like a MKZ ( Zephyr ) only a bit highier like an SUV. IT still has a nice interior and has the Advantage of extra cargo. I Assume it will have the Same reliability of the MKZ since it's really the same gutz inside. It is just as attractive. And the Price isn't much highier.

Anyone of these choices is a good one. When both are out, test drive both of them and see what you like.

of course go for the acura TL...i say go with the 07 type s with the 3.5 MDX motor in it...thing moves like stink just has a problem with keeping the power to the wheels...mint interior...gauge cluster is the red colour like the civics...mint car tail lights are different compared to the 06 never mint car...

Frogman said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like jumping on the 1st model year bandwagon. Too many bugs the manufacturers still haven't worked out.

According to consumer reports, the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr-MKZ have taken top honors along with the Accord/Camry, and lexus ES-350 for most reliable cars.

Even though The MKX is the first gen, I don't believe there would be any issues, It's heavily based off the zephyr, Most different is the hieght.

Some plateform, same engine, tranny, all wheel drive technology from volvo which has proven itself in volvos, ford five hundreds, in addition to good reviews by critics on related vehicles with that system.

The MKZ has a far more better/retro looking interior and has been awarded by having the best interior out of anycar in it's segmet, in addition to positive reviews so far regarding reliability.

Only thing that could ever go wrong are interior issues, maybe the plastics, dashboard warping, window regulater, weatherstrip leakage, these cars are big releases for Ford and they don't wan't to screw them up.

If the Acura or the Lincoln were to be problomatic, parts for the lincoln would be cheaper, easier to find versus the Acura. You can go to a Ford only dealer and still get parts for a lincoln. Acura dealers are more rare. Japanese have proven reliability over the years and recently american cars in these segments.

Really, Just go with what you really like, Acura, etc.
I'd prefer the lincoln. Been in a lincoln most of my life and paln to have one.

I'm waiting for the MKS to come out, thats if it comes in V8.

One of my best friends had an '05 Linoln LS that he totalled. He replaced it with an '06 Zephyr. I loved the LS and was very resistant to like the Zephyr. The interior is amazing(IMO) and the THX II is incredible as well. He let me drive it for a few days while he was on vacation. Well a week ago Monday I bought an '06 Zephyr. It has all the options that I HAD to have but I would have liked to have the NAV system. The cooled seats, THX II and moonroof were mandatory. I personally could care less about the extra HP on the '07 or the AWD. For the driving I do, I just wanted something with a comfortable interior and nice sound system. I do live in FL and the roads here are very smooth to begin with. With that said, I have no issues with the way the Zephyr rides and handles. I also feel it has plenty of power and the 3.0 gets a couple mpg better gas mileage. Of course, the main reason I bought the '06 was because of the year-end deals. It was stickered at 33,4xx and with the rebates and x-plan discounts it ended up being 27,2xx. I don't recall the exact figures off the top of my head. It was not worth giving up the $3500 rebates to get the 3.5 engine(not to me anyway). I guess it's all a matter of opinion though. I do not regret this purchase in any way.

Members online

No members online now.
Back