pretty sure I need rear tierods

2002_lincolnLS

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So when I am getting on the highway or really anywhere where acceleration is high the rear end seems to walk all over the place.

It feels similar to when you have an LSD and doing a burnout on ice, but imagine that and still going forward. I know its not just tire spin.

Are there other parts that could cause that much swaying? I would assume no, I mean even if the bushing in the control arms where bad it would be this dramatic.

They do squeak pretty loud on bumps and the the rubber seal is shot, or clubbed.. Based on that they are getting replaced regardless. However when ordering parts and looking under there anything else come to mind?

I would also check the wheel bearings, when wheels wonder on a highway like that the bearings are the first thing i would suspect. Jack up the rear and grab the tire at the 9 and 3 o'clock position and try to rattle it, and again with 12 and 6 o'clock. if you get a lot of play, your bearings are probably shot.

Last time you got an alignment?

If they're original, they need to be replaced.

I'm going to jack it up to night and see whats going on. its getting pretty hard to drive.

I would also check the wheel bearings, when wheels wonder on a highway like that the bearings are the first thing i would suspect. Jack up the rear and grab the tire at the 9 and 3 o'clock position and try to rattle it, and again with 12 and 6 o'clock. if you get a lot of play, your bearings are probably shot.

Don't forget to check your ball joints too if you get the 6 and 12 wobble just in case.

well suspension is all good no play at all so that is good news, the reason it would go all over place is the fact that the only place the tires it was on belts...... IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1247.jpg
IMG_1248.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg
IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

Well THERE'S your problem! No offense, but how would you not notice that by just walking around your car on a daily basis? That's some serious tire damage that didn't happen overnight!

it only does it on the inside, you can't see the inside with out laying on the ground. Don't worry i'm not a political correctness pussy so no need to apologize ahead for offense.

with it being lowered and having the body kit, its not exactly easy to see the inside of the tire.

I will be crawling around a lot more often checking the new back tires to make sure it was just ****ty cooper tires or if it was something else. I know the camber is an issue but I didn't have this bad of wear on my tires on the stock wheels which are going on tomorrow.

Ah gotcha, didn't know it was lowered. thank goodness you noticed it now, a blowout on a highway would have been some serious trouble! There has to be some suspension goof up somewhere for your tires to wear like that. You sure the tie rods looked ok?

they don't even budge like no play at all I was actually surprised they didn't even move a little bit

Man Anton take care of your stuff! Lol. Being lowered causes the I side of the rear tires to wear out quicker yes, but I'm going to say that tire just flat gave out and started coming apart. I never had a rear tire go like that on my LS in all the time I was lowered.

none of my other tires on lowered wheels did this. It happened in about a month... I don't do burnouts on em so that isn't it. They where used and on the wheels when I got them but damn they went fast

I had a set of Coopers once........ Never again!! You'll notice the rest of the tread is pretty shot also.

As long as you rotate the tires every 5K or so you should be OK. When I had the Eibachs installed I kept the tires rotated and had no ill effects from the extra (but within specs) camber.

Any tire will do that if you're riding on the edge. Your alignment needs some attention (whether or not others with lowered cars have this problem is irrelevant, your car does have a problem), you may need a camber spacer kit which is essentially an angled piece of metal that squares the tire back up when the mount point is no longer straight.

Any tire will do that if you're riding on the edge. Your alignment needs some attention, you may even need a camber spacer kit which is essentially an angled piece of metal that squares the tire back up when the mount point is no longer straight.

There's no rear camber adjustment.....

There's no rear camber adjustment.....

Modified cars sometimes need customized solutions. Looks like someone's going to be coming up with one. Either that or someone is going to be buying new tires every few months.

Holy f*cking toe out ... tire is DONE!

Holy f*cking toe out ... tire is DONE!

its not the toe that's the problem its the camber

I will looking to make a custom solution some time this summer. It should be easy enough with some threaded rod and sleeves as well as rod ends. Then just mock it up and have it tig welded up

You are lucky neither of them blew out on you. They look really close to exploding

As one who has had an LS tire blow out violently, I can say that when a tire goes on an LS the car remains very stable. In my case, a semi tractor trailer leaf spring broke and hit my car while we were going approximately 65MPH. The leaf hit the right front, tore up the right front fender, the bumper cap, and went in and out of the front right tire. It cut two holes in the tire, each one about 5-6 inches long, and knocked a big chunk out of the tire. The car got loud as hell instantly and the steering wheel started vibrating badly, but at no time did I feel like I lost control of the car. I was even able to speed up to pass the semi responsible for the damage, and force him to pull off the road to wait for the police to show and to get his insurance information. In this case it was a Wal-Mart trailer and the driver claimed that the trailer had just come out of Wal-Mart's maintenance depot. I'm just glad the leaf hit the car where it did, because if we'd been a few feet closer the leaf might have passed through the windshield instead of the fender, where it would then have passed through my dad and possibly my mom who were riding with me at the time.

Wow buddy, gotta be careful with that. Good thing you caught it when you did. That's good to know too Teleco, luckily I don't know what a blown tire on an ls feels like

its not the toe that's the problem its the camber ...

I'd still have the whole thing checked with fresh rubber on. You MUST get aligned at the height you drive at.
General alignments consists of toe, caster, camber and out of whack toe eats tires much quicker than camber would.

Members online

No members online now.
Back