Powerflex Polyurethane Bushing Install

De-marko

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I know these bushings have been talked about on here before for the rear lower control arms and I know at least one had purchased them but hadn't installed them. There's probably others.

My '02 LSE with almost 200K in miles had started to really feel loose in the rear end especially on the highway with a cross wind. I had replaced the front tie rods and rear lateral bars, which needed to be replaced, had helped but hadn't eliminated the floaty feeling. By jacking the car up and using a crow bar, I could move the control arms around a 1/2 inch or so with no effort! I could have just installed the stock style fluid filled bushings but if I'm going to do it I might as well do these.

Well, I picked these up from Power flex a little before Christmas and had them installed at a local shop in a spare set of lower rear control arms that I had. With it being so cold I held off on actually installing the arms until this last weekend.

Man, talk about a night and day difference!! I didn't realize how bad my car was until I swapped the arms! The car has a definite tight feeling especially in the turns, the rear tracks the front like its on rails, Incredible! Very flat in the turns and very responsive! The ride quality change is barely noticeable with no deterioration in comfort. You wouldn't think Poly had been installed. An alignment is necessary after the install.

For those that don't know, Powerflex doesn't list the LS, but its Jaguar counterpart, the S type is listed. PowerflexUSA You have to use the bushings from the 98-02 cars which is a perfect fit at least for the 1st Gen LS, I'm not sure on 2nd Gen. There are 3 bushings for each arm for a total of six.

Jaguar S Type (98 - 02) Rear Lower Arm Outer Bushing
Jaguar S Type (98 - 02) Rear Lower Arm Inner Front Bushing
Jaguar S Type (98 - 02) Rear Lower Arm Inner Rear Bushing

The bushings I purchased are the Black series which is reported to be 90% stiffer then stock. If you have to swap bushings I highly recommend these!!

car 1.jpg

car 2.jpg

car 3.jpg

car 4.jpg

I know these bushings have been talked about on here before for the rear lower control arms and I know at least one had purchased them but hadn't installed them. There's probably others.

My '02 LSE with almost 200K in miles had started to really feel loose in the rear end especially on the highway with a cross wind. I had replaced the front tie rods and rear lateral bars, which needed to be replaced, had helped but hadn't eliminated the floaty feeling. By jacking the car up and using a crow bar, I could move the control arms around a 1/2 inch or so with no effort! I could have just installed the stock style fluid filled bushings but if I'm going to do it I might as well do these.

Well, I picked these up from Power flex a little before Christmas and had them installed at a local shop in a spare set of lower rear control arms that I had. With it being so cold I held off on actually installing the arms until this last weekend.

Man, talk about a night and day difference!! I didn't realize how bad my car was until I swapped the arms! The car has a definite tight feeling especially in the turns, the rear tracks the front like its on rails, Incredible! Very flat in the turns and very responsive! The ride quality change is barely noticeable with no deterioration in comfort. You wouldn't think Poly had been installed. An alignment is necessary after the install.

For those that don't know, Powerflex doesn't list the LS, but its Jaguar counterpart, the S type is listed. PowerflexUSA You have to use the bushings from the 98-02 cars which is a perfect fit at least for the 1st Gen LS, I'm not sure on 2nd Gen. There are 3 bushings for each arm for a total of six.

The bushings I purchased are the Black series which is reported to be 90% stiffer then stock. If you have to swap bushings I highly recommend these!!

View attachment 828568700

View attachment 828568701

View attachment 828568702

View attachment 828568703
The fix is spot on my friend....a properly handling Lincoln LS is exactly how you describe it....like riding on rails around turns/corners...enjoy the ride my friend

Does it need a hydraulic press?

Also is that an apple charger cord in the first photo?

What up man?

You can for sure, the guy that installed them used an air powered C-clamp type apparatus.

:D Ha! Yes it is. One cable was powering the light, the other the heater, My phone was running down while listening to the Black Keys so I had to plug into the light!

No, It looks like this but instead of the screw portion of the clamp it had a air powered cylinder, hand held.

sucp_1003_13+1966_chevy_chevelle_polygraphite_bushings+ball_joint_press.jpg

I'm glad you posted this thread and I got to read the comments by members.
I have been seriously thinking about selling my car because it is one of the worst handling cars that I have ever owned.
I love everything about this car except THE HORRIBLE HANDLING.
I wouldn' dare drive this car into a corner hard...it will scare the hell out of you.
It floats,it won't track with the front end and the rear will break loose without warning.
For the past 10 years I have been driving my small cars, Saturn and Fieros,and figured that's just how the LS handled because of the size and weight.
But then I read that this car should track like it's on rails....
Think I need to get mine on the rack and start checking some rear bushings.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that so far I have replaced the tie rods,sway bar links,control arms and an alignment.
I have struts on order and will have those installed once they get here.

Last edited:
Cool on getting those items replaced. Check your LCA bushings out, I'd lay money on it that they are shot!

Awesome, that's a great write up!

I was very impressed with them! I can imagine your car was really firmed up with the whole catalog thrown at your LS! I'll bookmark your link.

Have you guys noticed any difference in road noise with the ES bushings? Not feel, but road noise...is it louder than before you installed them or quieter with new and/or poly bushings?

I am continually trying to reduce interior cabin noise...but that is entirely a different thread.

Have you guys noticed any difference in road noise with the ES bushings? Not feel, but road noise...is it louder than before you installed them or quieter with new and/or poly bushings?

I am continually trying to reduce interior cabin noise...but that is entirely a different thread.
Great question I was wondering the same thing, can't wait to install these come spring

For me, I haven not noticed any extra noise at all. With the car being so much tighter and smooth with no play it seems as if it is quieter but I'm sure there's no difference.

* BUMP* for those who want info on the Powerflex Black series Bushings

View attachment 828568700

View attachment 828568701

View attachment 828568702

View attachment 828568703

Glad to hear that...I have the squeak thing going too, looked under the rear and Da-Yummm! All of the bushings are wasted, I mean all of em. The rear lateral links are shot too.
Just ordered up the PowerFlex bushings, new UCA's and a pair of lateral links. My sway bar end links are good as I had them replaced a couple years back.
I'll let Y'all know how it rides in about week or two.

Forgot to mention that so far I have replaced the tie rods,sway bar links,control arms and an alignment.
I have struts on order and will have those installed once they get here.

I know its been awhile since this post.
What route did you go with on replacing the rear struts if I may ask?
I'm seriously considering the Bilstien and new springs for the rears.

Members online

No members online now.
Back