Powdercoating wheels and other chrome accents?

blacknchrome

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2003 LS with the stock 17" sport 5 spoke chrome wheels. I have decided I want to murder this car and leave no trace of chrome anywhere. What procedure would you recommend to have the top portion of the grill, wheels, and the piece surrounding the license plate blacked out. The first thing that came to mind would be Powdercoating everything but I think the grill and license plate accent is made of plastic and I don't know how durable it would be to Powdercoat. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

What color is your car? I am assuming black? Plasti Dip leaves u an easy option to revert back. That is unless your mind is dead set on something more permanent such as powdercoating.

I say get the plastic bits painted and leave the wheels how they are. Going to get a new username? :p

+1 with Rod if money is not a concern or you can do the work yourself.

I always recommend against spending a significant amount of money on stock wheels, as you would if you decided to powdercoat. Might as well spend a little more and upgrade i.e. bigger/nicer wheels.

...but if you're set on it, its ultimately your money.

What color is your car? I am assuming black? Plasti Dip leaves u an easy option to revert back. That is unless your mind is dead set on something more permanent such as powdercoating.

I'd have to agree with marcredd on this and I powdercoat EVERYTHING I can. You're gonna paint your grille, rear surround and trim. Unless you truly love your wheels, just plasti Dip them. I always try to avoid powdercoating over chrome unless its new, no cracks or chips and know the chrome is of good quality. To actually strip the chrome is a major pain and gets really expensive. If you have any bit of peeling chrome under the powder, well, the powder is now going to fail. I've powdered over plenty of chrome, but always give warning and will not warranty my work over chrome unless its brand new.

Also, check out mlara1129's nice write up on plasti dip
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=81019&highlight=plasti

Members online

No members online now.
Back