Possibly buying an LS. Things I should look out for?

drewzilla

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking at getting a new "family" type of car and the LS has always been a nice looking ride in my opinion. I did some mild research and it seems the earlier models had transmission problems as well as a few other things. I believe I read to look for the 03+ models. So far all of the cars Ive been looking at have been 04 and 05's. Anything I should really be aware of when looking the 04's and up? Typical problems I may run across? Im looking for a car that's going to look nice/classy and that I can make look somewhat sporty. I plan on lowering it a tad and getting some nice wheels for the car. Not planning on much in the go fast department but I am looking at the v8's. I've always been a "modder" so of course I will do a few tasteful things. The prices on these cars seem fairly low for what you get. It's between a 2004 audi A4 or the latest model LS.

The questions isnt which problem WILL you run into. It's just which one WON'T you run into, and how long until it happens.

The 04's - 06's almost perfected the problems with the LS.

And just my $.02, if you were looking into the Audi A4's and A6's, stay away from the quattros! the trannies are almost as bad as the LS.

So You're saying the 04-06's have more problems than the earlier years? Just making sure I have this clear. I think the a6's Ive been looking at are FWD.

DON'T DO IT look for something else. I hate my LS its a 01 v6 but still they all have stupid problems. I have been fixing my car more then enjoying it and have had it two years

sorry just came in from working on the P.O.S.

DON'T DO IT look for something else. I hate my LS its a 01 v6 but still they all have stupid problems. I have been fixing my car more then enjoying it and have had it two years

sorry just came in from working on the P.O.S.

u might hate it because its a v6..cause i feel the same way PERFORMANCE WISE...not CLASS OR driveabilty. i havnt had alot of problems at all tho...little things here and there. its a sharp car you dont see alot of and it handles good...has plenty of Luxury options...I WOULD GET THE AUIDI THO.... :D

but if you get the LS...Welcome to the Club !

I've had 4, 2 V6's and 2 06s. We still have my original 2000 V6 with 167K miles on it. My daughter bought so it is still in the family. Remember, only people with problems generally post on boards like this. If things are running well nothing is said. Are there issues? Just like any other machine, yes. The more miles you rack up the more little things (not necessarily cheaper) will crop up.

Get yourself an '06 and enjoy. I bought mine for ~$15,700, loaded with ~32K miles.

I think I may go look at one today. Just look. Im only looking for 04's and up so the early years dont apply and have the most problems from what I hear. Any other input on the last model LS in appreciated. Thanks!

Get the LSE model, if you don't then you will wish you did.

Audis have very bad engine problems up until the 2007 or 2008 models. So I've heard from fellow Audi owners (since I wanted one)

The Quattros are AWD by the way.

The 04 - 06's have the LEAST amount of issues, and are covered for a lot more problem warranty wise than the gen 1's are...

Yea I dont think the A4 I was looking at was a quattro. I cant remember though. Anyway Im somewhat scared to buy one of these cars now lol. Maybe Ill shoot for the Audi or maybe a 300c.

this to look out for. bad coils, window regulators, hub bearrings, if im missing anything else, dont hesitate to mention it.

Great car to drive, not so great for the wallet.

No luxury car is great for the wallet in any instance.

And how the car breaks down all determines on how rough you drive it...cause I'm a lead foot kinda guy...and a bit "showy" so of coarse any car I get will break down quicker than the Grandma who's got the same kinda car....

You're dumb.

and you, my friend, are this:

this-tiara-fat-demotivational-poster.jpg

My brother has an '04 A6.. If the audi and LS are your two options.. just go by the price tag. I can speak with experience from both vehicles. Both are extremely nice/classy/sporty. But they will both give you problems, they will both cause you to get a migrane at one time or another... only difference is the audi is german engineered. To replace a flat tire is a 3 man job! lol, me and my brother spent 30 minutes trying to get the tire back on (designed so the pegs come out of the rotor.. nothing to set the tire back up on so someone has to hold the tire and get it lined up while someone else puts the pegs back in).. just lots of little annoying things like that on the audi.

If you get an LS.. make sure you saved some money aside to fix the problems with it.. yes, there WILL be problems. The fact that your a "modder" is great tho, you will save tons of money on DIY jobs.

AH! and the v8 LS.. it will spank the '04 A6 quattro's ass:p

EDIT: I forgot to meantion... even with the headaches, the labor, and the coils, spark plugs, and window regulators I had to replace, I LOVE the LS. Amazing car.. really cant ask for much more. SO many features, and a great eye catcher. Lol, I think the A6 just kinda looks like a bubble.. its hidious.

To replace a flat tire is a 3 man job! lol, me and my brother spent 30 minutes trying to get the tire back on (designed so the pegs come out of the rotor.. nothing to set the tire back up on so someone has to hold the tire and get it lined up while someone else puts the pegs back in).. just lots of little annoying things like that on the audi.

My BMW was same, except it had a built in tool kit which contained a wheel locating tool. I'm surprised the Audi didn't have something similar, as part of it's emergency tools.

My 05 V8 LS is the best car I have had. I bought it 2 years ago with 20k miles and have had NO problems except for a new trunk lock. I took my car to Ct. from Chicago and got 28mpg on the highway. Around town isn't great at about 16.5 city, but I do a lot of stop and go. I don't think you can beat the value of a used LS these days. This is a car that brand new was over 40 thousand dollars. Just yesterday I saw an 06' with only 20k miles on it for 15 thousand. Unbelievable. I wish I could buy another one!!! I have the full factory warranty, but have total coverage for 75k miles or 6 years. I have 36k miles on it now. I would say check it out, and you'll probably fall in love like I did. You will love the fact that everybody and his brother don't have the same car as you, as you smile jetting past them in your classy ride.

The questions isnt which problem WILL you run into. It's just which one WON'T you run into, and how long until it happens.

The 04's - 06's almost perfected the problems with the LS.

And just my $.02, if you were looking into the Audi A4's and A6's, stay away from the quattros! the trannies are almost as bad as the LS.

...except for all of their problems...
like, the dccv, the window regulator, the transmission shift solenoids, coils that do fail, even with a perfectly clean spark plug well...I'm not as enamored with my '04 anymore...

Im still considering an LS but am not sure. Ive been tossing around other options but I love the styling of the LS and you guys are right about everybody not having one. I saw one yesterday and for the most part I dont see them for a couple of days at a time around here. Thanks for the info.

I have been very happy with both of my LS's, an 04 with 103K miles and an 06 with 50K miles. The 06 is the most trouble free new car that I have bought so far (out of four or five). I had a cracked battery replaced at about 40K miles (warranty) and that's been about it for the 06 so far.
The 04 had an ash tray, DCCV, and four coils replaced under warranty. I've also had to replace the message center button assembly (cracked), the overhead console (cracked), a valve in the transmission, an O-ring seal on one of the valve timing solenoids, and the AC compressor. I'm still happy with it.

I would say Lincoln LS is the best car to run on 7.5 cylinders, lol.
I have an v8 03, and I have really enjoyed the car, other then the coil issues.....

Members online

No members online now.
Back