please help me prove this....

sho89mtx

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was telling my friend that my mark VIII has the exact same engine as the cobra minus the intake and exhaust manifold and he thinks i'm making it up. Is there any website that u guys know of that compares these 2 engines or says flat out that they are the same engine so i can print it out and show him tommorow morning at work?

thanks,
scott

here flat out
MARK VIII AND MUSTANG COBRA MOTORS ARE THE SAME MOTOR.

ERIC1 said:
here flat out
MARK VIII AND MUSTANG COBRA MOTORS ARE THE SAME MOTOR.
if only it was that easy, he's a 45 year old man and he is very thick-headed, i need visual proof, anyone got any?

Take him for a drive.

No really. Let him find out himself. Tell him to do the research. Outside of things like cast vs forged crank, intake, exhaust cam and a couple more little things, the big things like the block, heads etc. (ie: the long block are virtually the same). Not exact mind you, but close enough to be considered the same in my book. IMHO.

So tell the guy to educate himself or pleasure himself, whatever he would prefer to do.
icon10.gif

sho89mtx said:
if only it was that easy, he's a 45 year old man and he is very thick-headed, i need visual proof, anyone got any?

Oh, and I take offense to the 45 year old comment. We're not all thick-headed. Oh wait, Mespock is. Never mind.

You really want to freak him out especially since he is old school tell him it's a HEMI too!! That will get his goat, actually you can tell him that it is physically larger then a Chrysler Hemi.

ONEBADMK8 said:
You really want to freak him out especially since he is old school tell him it's a HEMI too!! That will get his goat, actually you can tell him that it is physically larger then a Chrysler Hemi.

Yeah it is a hemi the spark plug is in the middle if the hemishperical combustion chamber and the valves are on the :dancefool outside. All DOHC are technicaly Hemi's.

Tell him that it IS the Cobra engine. While his beloved Mustang was still bloated with that uselessly weak and pathetic small block 302, the Mark VIII and Continental had them years before the Stang ever saw it...

I just had a conversation with my father and it reminded me of this thread. My father's an experienced mechanic, for what that's worth. He's taking my car to the tranny shop tomorrow to put it on a lift and do the 1-2,2-3, and jmod. It went something like this:

Me: Here, do the jmod for 300hp spec
Dad: 300HP!! Are you crazy? Your car doesn't have 300hp
Me: You mean at the wheels?
Dad: I mean anywhere!
Me: Well, the tranny is getting 300hp from the engine
Dad: I would think 250, MAYBE 270
Me: The engine is rated at 290hp plus the intake and exhaust mods.
Dad: Well, I'll be damned.

I love sleepers. While I'm here, a conversation with my boss last week. He likes cars too.

Me: I got an exhaust for my car
Boss: Why?
Me: Why? What do you mean?
Boss: It's a luxury car.
Me: All the more reason to do up my exhaust.
Boss: What kind of engine is in it?
Me: muahhaha!!!

Featured Vehicles

Different Tune
It took Dennis Reinhart three years to play his version of the hot-rod Lincoln

By Michael Johnson
Photography: Michael Johnson

The ability to combine different and cool in one car is difficult. Perhaps the most obvious reason is that one person thinks the car is cool while another considers it merely different. Both are subjective judgments by each individual. To illustrate this point, during a recent Mustang chat-room conversation, the topic of owning a Mustang and doing something different with it came up. One keyboard jockey said it was impossible to be different with a Mustang because there are so many on the road.

While somewhat agreeing, yours truly countered by saying there are things that can be done to a Mustang to make it stand out from the usual big-'n'-littled, cowl hood-wearin', rear wing-sportin' Fox or SN-95 Mustang. Then, in an effort to be really different, this person suggested we find an AMC Javelin and throw a turbo on it. To which yours truly replied, "There's different, and there's stupid." No disrespect to the AMC crowd (actually, one of my dream cars is an SC/Rambler), but why would you do that--except to be different. Would turbocharging a Javelin make it cool in everyone's eyes? Of course not! OK, back to the subject of our story--Dennis Reinhart's two-ton-plus Lincoln Mark VIII (or Mark Eight for those Roman-numerically challenged). Has he bridged the gap between different and cool? We'll let you be the judge. "So, why a Lincoln?" we asked Dennis. He told us the car already had a Four-Valve engine in it, and it would be different. "The car was basically a detuned Cobra," he says. However, it's no longer detuned--it now runs 11.70s at 118. Did we mention Dennis' car has a 4R70W automatic? We know a lot of supercharged Cobra owners who wished their cars ran 11.70s.

Sponsored Links

Mustang Ground Effects
Great deals on every Ford Mustang. Start saving now! affiliate.
www.eBay.com

Mustang Ground Effects
Yahoo! Shopping Save time, save money.
Yahoo.com

Mustang Twin Turbo Kits
Incredible Power, Complete Systems 600-2000hp, Street or Race!
www.inductionconcepts.com

Of course, the Lincoln didn't run 11.70s overnight. As a matter of fact, it took Dennis more than three exhausting and frustrating years to get the car into the 11-second range. That was because the list of qualified modular motor experts was much shorter than it is today. Dennis' engine and transmission carnage almost reached Factory Stock heights after going through two engines and three transmissions before arriving at the car's current state. His first two engines were lost to poor tuning, according to Dennis.

For three years, Dennis searched high and low for someone who possessed the tuning prowess necessary to make the Lincoln run right. He finally found that person, and although the man prefers we don't mention his name, Dennis is now able to tune the car himself using the gentleman's software. He has even starting marketing a line of chips through his Reinhart Automotive [(904) 276-5003; www.reinhartautomotive.com] digs in Orange Park, Florida, a suburb of Jacksonville. Dennis teamed up with the gentleman to partner tuning prowess with marketing magic. Through this new venture, Dennis has chips for an assortment of Ford performance vehicles, including one for a Mercury Marauder that's reportedly worth more than 25 hp and 30 lb-ft of torque to the rear wheels.

With the help of his silent partner, Dennis' three years of frustration turned into 450 hp at the rear wheels and a fist-full of 11-second timeslips with trap speeds at more than 118 mph. In our book, an 11-second Mark VIII is both different and cool.

Horse Sense: The 4.6 Four-Valve engine made its debut in the Lincoln Mark VIII, which first appeared in 1993. Production of the car ended in 1998. In Lincoln-form, the 4.6 Four-Valve made 280 hp, with a 4R70W transmission and an IRS rear to round out its drivetrain.

Dennis would like to send out many thanks to Mesa Balancing, SpeedCraft Engineering, and Hector at Central Florida Motorsports for making his three-year-long dream come true.

Do you really think something this big and luxurious is capable of running deep into the 11s? We didn't either, but Dennis has a fist-full of timeslips to prove he's not just running his mouth. The only exterior clue to what's under the hood is a pair of Mickey Thompson ET Streets mounted on factory Lincoln rims out back. This alone should tell you Dennis isn't one to putz around looking for a game of shuffleboard.

The engine that's in the car now is the third one Dennis has put in it. "The first two were lost to poor tuning," he says. Utilizing a bored 0.030-over Lincoln block, a steel crank, Manley rods, JE-coated pistons, Total Seal rings, and factory Cobra top-end components, Mesa Balancing in Miami, Florida, built the engine with a boost-friendly 8.0:1 compression ratio. A Pro-M mass air meter reads incoming air, and a BBK 62mm throttle body receives forced air via the Vortech S-Trim supercharger, capable of providing the engine with 16 pounds of boost. However, before the air reaches the blower, a custom SpeedCraft Engineering intercooler makes sure the incoming atmosphere is nice and cool.

After these photos were taken and to keep things legal, Adrian Blumhagen at Mild to Wild Custom Fabrications painted and installed a six-point rollcage in the Lincoln.

so am i to understand that this reinhardt character put an SC under his hood without altering the physical appearance of the head.

WOW, i did NOT realise that the mark was the 9th most powerful domestic vehicle in 95'! Though, should i be surprised...lol, no.

Members online

No members online now.
Back