Please Help! Air suspension problems

89MARKVII

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well this is my first post on this forum, I havn't had time to read the rules but I really could use some help so I will make this short. I have a 1989 Mark VII, it has 120,000 and is having some air suspension problems like they all eventually do. So all of a sudden the rear air bags are as high as they can go. Making the car almost undrivable... Well since its my daily driver I am stuck, I need to get this thing fixed. I was planning on replacing the bags with a coil spring conversion, because the front leaks very badly... but I don't have the cash for another few weeks. So what am I going to do to get this thing back down to earth. I have already tried moving the sensor around and switching everything on and off,and that did nothing. So I am letting the car sit overnight with the switch off, but the rear has never leaked so I dont think its going to go down. Any help would be apreciated.

A little history, I have installed an A9L computer and a mass air flow sensor, with some plans to do some more engine work (supercharger). And eventually still will... other than that its pretty much stock, black and clean. Also should I convert to one of these coil suspension kits or rebuild the air?

I see this question has been answered many times, I am searching right now to find an answer. If someone wants to give me a link to this already answered question... thanks.

Alright I will run the self-diagnostic tomorrow, and get in there with some soap and water. I first need to fix the rear by getting the ride height back down to normal, then I need to fix the leaks in the front. Now I am sure my compressor isn't in the best shape because of the last year of abuse I have caused it. In the past when the leak first started on the drivers front I got out the soap and water and noticed only small leaks at the dryer (4 lines going to the compressor) so I got 4 line kits and installed them and that cured those leaks, but the problem never went away. So I obvously have leaking bags or I guess solinoids? Now both fronts will go right down! Unless I make sure it pumps all the way up, then it will stay up all night.

I have been searching the forum for the past hour and still don't have my answers, so please someone tell me what to buy. Should I just get to front bags? from who? solinoid kits? New o-rings? Find the leaks then replace things? Please tell me exactly how to find the leaks?

I would very much apreciate all of the help, then when I paint the car and get some rims I will get some pictures posted. But first I gotta get the air suspension worked out. Thanks...

EDIT: So my rear solinoids are stuck open and when its trying to fill the front its filling the rear because its lighter? whats the fix for this?

To fix your air suspension, you have to have some patience! :) Run the test. Yeah, it looks overwhelming, but if you invest the time now, you may not needlessly throw money into parts you don't need.

Regarding the rear, sounds like the solenoids are not venting (deflating the air springs).

Regarding the front, sounds like either the spring or the solenoids are leaking air, but you say they stay inflated overnight if the springs are inflated all the way. Maybe the compressor is weak and does not have the power to inflate the springs. As far as the leak, springs will begin to leak at the base (bottom of the rubber bladder). Small cracks will develop at the bottom of the springs over time. O-rings on the solenoids may not be sealing anymore. Lots of possibilities here, do the test.

Are any of the air springs older than 10 years? If they are, you may want to consider replacing all, or at least planning for their replacement.

Springs are still available from Ford. Also, do a search on Strutmasters and Arnott - These folks have ads to the right >>>>>>>>>>> of this window. Their web sites also have diagnostics you can perform.

Believe it or not, its less work to fix the system you have instead of replacing it with coil springs, but that's up to you.

Well I definitly want to fix the air suspension, the ride is great... and yes this diagnostic is very long a overwhelming. I hope I get through it... what is it going to tell me?

Should I just get two front bags and solinoids? can I get the rear down for now then replace the bags and solinoids?

89MARKVII said:
I was hoping you could give me a hand, I have read many of your posts in the past and it seems you know what your talking about. I would like to save my suspension. I will run down the history and mabye you can give me some sudgestions.

The problems all started when I lowered the car by ajusting the ride height sensors, the front started going down when the car would sit overnight. Now it goes down while driving and the air suspension light comes on. It seems to start leaking when I also shut the door and will just piss all the way until the front is on the ground. If I let it fill all the way up it will sit there all night and stay up. then as soon as I start driving it goes down. Now all of a sudden today the rear is all the way up, and the rear has never leaked or had problems.

So how do I fix the back?
Do I need bags in the front? Solinoids? O-ring kit? what?

Please share your well earned experience, I need to get this thing fixed so I have something to drive to work. Thanks.

-Ben

You caused older bags to be moved from a position they have been in for a long time by changing the ride height. This has allowed cracks to leak, which have gotten worse and leave you with leaking front bags. From there it would seem that since the front bags drop quickly they leave the rear bags fighting off the results, which causes the "over-inflation" of the rear you are experiencing. I would start with new bags and see where that gets you, after you run the diagnostic.

JoshMcMadMac said:
You caused older bags to be moved from a position they have been in for a long time by changing the ride height. This has allowed cracks to leak, which have gotten worse and leave you with leaking front bags. From there it would seem that since the front bags drop quickly they leave the rear bags fighting off the results, which causes the "over-inflation" of the rear you are experiencing. I would start with new bags and see where that gets you, after you run the diagnostic.

Ok I am on my way to do this long diagnostic, then I will order the parts I need on wednesday. What brand bag should i get, should i get solinoids? Or just o-ring kits?

89MARKVII said:
Ok I am on my way to do this long diagnostic, then I will order the parts I need on wednesday. What brand bag should i get, should i get solinoids? Or just o-ring kits?

This is a decision for you to make. Getting aftermarket bags, such and Arnott Industries, is the cheapest way to go. However they will not be quite as stiff as Ford LSC bags. You will probably spend at least twice as much to get Ford springs. It's all in your priorities. For the solenoids, I personally have had no issues with needing to replace them; I just get new #6 o-rings at the hardware store. Again, this is a matter of your priority with money and replacement of older,yet functional, parts.

Well I did the diagnostic and it pumped the front up and now the front wont come down. So I obvously have a problem in the venting system? It cant be all of the solinoids so what is common to all four that the vent system goes through? The pump? Please help I gotta drive this thing. :mad:

Awesund said:
Parked at the local head shop? Hey a jacked-up Lincoln shouldn't look outta place, there, duuuude. And how the hell do you sleep with two girls in the back seat? That can't be comfortable ;)

I kinda suspect that the relief solonoid inside the compressor is corroded or stuck, so no air is getting out, although the rear sols open.
Now what about the fronts? Do they pump up and let down properly? If so, then then relief solonoid is fine and that should also mean that the dryer is okay. It's easy to take apart to check, tho. That's a good info link that Josh left for you. Be carefull, it's spring-loaded. Those silica beads can spill all over the place so keep it upright as you unscrew the top.

Could still be a bad computer. It can't hurt to remove the computer, take the cover off and have a look. You'll usually see and smell the part that fried itself.
Rear sensor could be faulty but it's rare. Inspect it to see that it's connected properly and that none of the plastic is torn away, exposing the insides to water, etc..
Verify that air is comming out of both hoses equally when you turn shut the door.

BTW - what year is the car?

So I hear all of my solinoids clicking but nothing is going down, does this mean the releif solinoid in the pump is stuck? Or possibly a bad computer? Please help someone, I am going to take the dryer off.

Alright I took the lines off, turned the key on with the air suspension switch on then shut the key off and closed the door and everything vernted fine to the correct ride height, the front of course continued to leak and go all the way down, so I shut the switch off and took the compressor off. I took the plate off the compressor and everything is rusted and corroded. So I guess I am getting a new compressor and dryer setup, because I just broke my dryer also. Just the mount so I am going to try and take it apart and clean it, put the compressor back together and see what happens, I get paid on wednesday so we will see what I order.

Strutmasters? Arnott? Or Ford LSC bags? Where should I get my new compressor and dryer from? Thanks for all of the help.

Now I understand the system better, the pump fills or allows air to come through all four lines, the solinoids on each bag allow air in or out individually. The system cant vent and pump at the same time... So I re-ajusted my rear sensor and the car vented down with no problems, so the vent is currently working. I am currently going to have my uncle (works at a private shop) call the ford dealer and price everything, right now I am going to get two front bags, and a pump and dryer assembly.

Will I really notice the difference from Ford bags to aftermarket bags? How about the pump?

Howdy, Welcome to the forum... :Beer
I know of several threads that cover this situation, specifically. Many are repeats because we answered the question anyway...again. lol.
Search some more. It's not a terribly complex system to diagnose. But you have to get an understanding of the basic parts and activators involved.

89MARKVII said:
Now I understand the system better....

That's great! Once you understand the system, you'll be able to diagnose it. :cool:

As was said before, spring brand will be up to you. If you have the cash, get the Ford parts. If finances are an issue, get the Strutmasters or Arnott parts.

IIRC, the Strutmasters parts are re-packaged Arnott pieces, but I could be wrong. I've never heard anyone complain about the aftermarket stuff.

89MARKVII said:
Now I understand the system better, the pump fills or allows air to come through all four lines, the solinoids on each bag allow air in or out individually. The system cant vent and pump at the same time...

What you just said was sheer poetry.

I'm no mechanic, but I can tell you how a couple of systems are ~supposed~ to work.

JD

Any air compressor produces moisture. When you have a leak, the compressor may have to run 2-10 more than it would normally to make up for the leak, which makes 2-10 times more moisture than it would normally. On an already old dryer, it gets overwhelmed pretty easy.

With this being said, the problem started out as a leak, but because it was driven so long with a leak, the moisture has rusted up the vent solenoid in the compressor. Keep in mind that because a leak will always leak worse while being driven, a leak will usually go unnoticed for 6-8 months before the driver even realizes theres a problem. A good example that a small problem can snowball into a bigger problem if not taken care of.

My point is, replace the leaking air springs as well as the compressor/dryer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back