Piston anyone?

Something similar happened at a Ford dealership I worked at in College. This happened during the Cobra recall in ’99 or’00. It involved replacing the intake and the exhaust so that the Cobra would have more power. The first step in the procedure was to blow out the new intake with an air hose to make sure that no debris would get into the combustion chambers. The tech did not follow the instructions and started the car anyway. Long story short, the guy got a new engine in his Cobra. The car had less than 10k miles on it too! The guy was pissed because the numbers no long matched.

Fla02LS said:
How long have you had your LS? About a year or so? And its broke now. Whats sad is im sure it's still under the factory warranty but with all the f*cking around you've done you can kiss that warranty goodbye. But thats the price you potentially pay for having people working on your car like that. Either way it works its gonna be costing you alot.

Wow another comment from the king of the A**holes. Thanks for making all our days brighter by being such a dick.

402777LS said:
There's no way the head is not damaged too. The aluminum there is soft and there are only a few thousand's of an inch clearance from the top of the piston at some points.

Depending when it went in it to the cylinder it could have very well been in your valve when it closed destroying your valve seat. Maybe it was here and this made the valve contact your piston. I did this in my mustang, it just needed 8 new intake valves (cam timing mishap).
I was in the engine because I blew my last one. Lost the valve retainer and dropped #2 intake valve into the engine (happened at 2000 rpm), breaking the valve in half, puncturing the piston & cracking the head. We wont even talk about the cylinder walls.

What your looking at is:
Best case - from what they said, new piston & your engine goes it's normal life
There could be any multitude of other problems leading up to a new engine. It depends what happened in there and what RPM did it happen at?
Worst case - New Piston & 1 bored over cylinder to remove scaring on the walls
New Crank shaft, 1 connecting rod & bearings, wrist pin
New head and or valvetrain

How long would you keep this car for with the above stuff replaced?
Would it even idle smooth?

You need a lawyer & get it over to the FORD dealership (or at least call one). Watch you azz, there could be a crushed bearing that will not be noticeable for 10k miles. One year from now you hear a knock coming from the engine, I guess it was more then just your piston.

Be Carefull

fuzzyb said:
Worst case - New Piston & 1 bored over cylinder to remove scaring on the walls
No over-bored cylinder--the LS uses iron cylinder liners (it's an aluminum block), so you'd just need to replce the liner. I haven't seen the replacement procedure for the LS, but I know it's not exactly a minor project in the old Flathead Fords...

I can't find anyone who even sells a piston or a liner.... only the entire engine or short block...

Vivid LS said:
Wow another comment from the king of the A**holes. Thanks for making all our days brighter by being such a dick.
I'm sorry pumpkin. I thought maybe you'd be too busy working on some lambo doors or something. My bad. Sorry my comment to another offends you sooooo much. Whatever man, if hearing something you dont want to hear makes me a dick, thats cool. I'm ok with being a dick. You, Bangin and Bones have become the posers here. I find you guys kinda humoruous and sad at the same time.

Fla02LS said:
I'm sorry pumpkin. I thought maybe you'd be too busy working on some lambo doors or something. My bad. Sorry my comment to another offends you sooooo much. Whatever man, if hearing something you dont want to hear makes me a dick, thats cool. I'm ok with being a dick. You, Bangin and Bones have become the posers here. I find you guys kinda humoruous and sad at the same time.

Hows your car doing at the dealership. Seems to me that you have just as many problems as the people who mod their car.

As far as me being a poser, you can think what you want as well. The guy asked where he could get a piston. He doesn't need you to tell him he F**ked up his car and it is gonna cost alot to fix it. Stick to the question he asked or don't add your two cents. I personaly could care less of what you think of me or my LS but at least mine isn't in the shop every other day.

People like you are the exact reason why so many other LS owners stopped coming here. Offer some good advice for once or shut the fu*k up.

Vivid LS said:
Hows your car doing at the dealership. Seems to me that you have just as many problems as the people who mod their car.

People like you are the exact reason why so many other LS owners stopped coming here. Offer some good advice for once or shut the fu*k up.

Well, the car is doing great. Thanks for asking. I've had two problems, actually not even two. The first problem was some bad coils, thats nothing new to the LS. As far as a second, a wheel sensor went bad. Oh well. The steering was performing just fine, no problems at all. While i was under the car changing the oil i noticed a tear in the rubber boot so the dealer replaced the entire steering rack. That tear could have come from a variety of reasons, but nonetheless i have a new steering rack. Where's the problem there? For all three visits i have had a free rental while under repair and the repairs cost me $0.

As far as me chasing people away, i dont think so. If that is the case then i chased away the legitimate people and a bunch of douche bags took their place. Perhaps all the talk about crap like lambo doors chased people away. I dont care if what i say irritates people, because its usually the truth. Most just pipe in and say this or that, i tell it like it is which some dont like. For some reason a bunch of you are shielded from reality.

I dont feel sorry for the guy one bit. Thats not being a dick, thats seeing things the way they are. If he hadnt been dicking around with his LS, installing nitrous, having incapable people working on his LS, video taping himself doing donuts, then he wouldnt have a screwed up car. And its people like him who "might" patch up the car enough to sell that cause problems for future owners. More and more of the problems with LS's on here are happening to the 16,17,18 yr old kids.

As far as answering the questions asked, out of 33 posts i counted ONE that actually answered it. And honestly i think my "advice" is the best given....dont dick around with your LS and you wont have a f*cked up engine. Seems pretty simple. But when you decide to create a new post then you should expect a bunch of various opinions.

Fla02LS said:
Well, the car is doing great. Thanks for asking. I've had two problems, actually not even two. The first problem was some bad coils, thats nothing new to the LS. As far as a second, a wheel sensor went bad. Oh well. The steering was performing just fine, no problems at all. While i was under the car changing the oil i noticed a tear in the rubber boot so the dealer replaced the entire steering rack. That tear could have come from a variety of reasons, but nonetheless i have a new steering rack. Where's the problem there? For all three visits i have had a free rental while under repair and the repairs cost me $0.

As far as me chasing people away, i dont think so. If that is the case then i chased away the legitimate people and a bunch of douche bags took their place. Perhaps all the talk about crap like lambo doors chased people away. I dont care if what i say irritates people, because its usually the truth. Most just pipe in and say this or that, i tell it like it is which some dont like. For some reason a bunch of you are shielded from reality.

I dont feel sorry for the guy one bit. Thats not being a dick, thats seeing things the way they are. If he hadnt been dicking around with his LS, installing nitrous, having incapable people working on his LS, video taping himself doing donuts, then he wouldnt have a screwed up car. And its people like him who "might" patch up the car enough to sell that cause problems for future owners. More and more of the problems with LS's on here are happening to the 16,17,18 yr old kids.

As far as answering the questions asked, out of 33 posts i counted ONE that actually answered it. And honestly i think my "advice" is the best given....dont dick around with your LS and you wont have a f*cked up engine. Seems pretty simple. But when you decide to create a new post then you should expect a bunch of various opinions.

I wish there was a way to hide important threads from this guy. Nobody cares what you think or if you feel bad for me or not. Obviously you aren't a people person and I'm sure you don't have many friends. I work with someone just like you, he speaks his mind...but sits in the corner quiet most of the day because nobdy likes him. I knew what I was getting into when started to mod my car. Thats just a risk I took to have some fun..so what? I did what Drolds told me to do and contacted the DMV here in NY. I'm not paying a dime for this. But I had my fun and I'll just move on. BUT....I will still have friends and people who like me. Good luck..try killing yourself..:D

fla02 is a douche bag... im pretty sure u suck dick for a living homie

im pretty sure vivids LS is a shltload better than urs ever will be

VanDarela said:
I wish there was a way to hide important threads from this guy. Nobody cares what you think or if you feel bad for me or not. Obviously you aren't a people person and I'm sure you don't have many friends. I work with someone just like you, he speaks his mind...but sits in the corner quiet most of the day because nobdy likes him. I knew what I was getting into when started to mod my car. Thats just a risk I took to have some fun..so what? I did what Drolds told me to do and contacted the DMV here in NY. I'm not paying a dime for this. But I had my fun and I'll just move on. BUT....I will still have friends and people who like me. Good luck..try killing yourself..:D

Glad it is working out for you. Sorry I hijacked your thread.

Yeah, most don't think this type of thing is a joke.

Your mods shouldn't be a excuse for someones mistake.

You know the mods have some risk of problems, but this is not one of them.

Hope it works out. You really have to trust who touches your car. No preaching...just saying.

Glad it's being taken care of; are you going to tell us the name of the shop in case any of us happen to be looking for a mechanic Long Island (I'm not planning on it anytime soon ;))

VanDarela said:
BUT....I will still have friends and people who like me. Good luck..try killing yourself..:D
Man...i wish i had just one friend! Somebody please!!! Please let me make an internet friend. We can PM all day long and google together, maybe send some wacky emails. I love how because i piss off you people i become freindless and sit in the corner. Thats awesome. Keep it coming. Some cower and run away, i feed off it. I love it. Let me be the enemy, thats cool with me. 98% of people on here are mature enough to just let stuff slide right off. They read, post, thats it. Maybe they understand a web forum. You guys take it personal? I dont get it?

Maybe if some kids are done being gay this thread could get back on track. I dont think my original post was all that out of line. I asked how long you had the car and stated that it is most likely still under warranty, but that the work you have done (dicking around, respectively) will most definately void the warranty. The bit about costing you is simple, you will either have to pay for the repairs yourself OR pay for an Attorney to try to get the shop to pay for ALL repair costs. As you then stated, you knew when you started the work what you were getting into. Cool. I see no harm in all that.

After reading this entire thread i think there are still some unanswered areas that could help get a better understanding of what your dealing with. Questions:
1)You mentioned an accident 1 month ago? What happened? Who did the work then? What was fixed?

2)Where is the car right now? Did it fail while at the shop or after you got it back?

3)Who is the "shop" doing the work? Is it some individual or an actual business?

4)Why was the intake being taken off in the first place? Has the same place been doing all the work on the car?

Fla02LS said:
After reading this entire thread i think there are still some unanswered areas that could help get a better understanding of what your dealing with. Questions:
1)You mentioned an accident 1 month ago? What happened? Who did the work then? What was fixed?

2)Where is the car right now? Did it fail while at the shop or after you got it back?

3)Who is the "shop" doing the work? Is it some individual or an actual business?

4)Why was the intake being taken off in the first place? Has the same place been doing all the work on the car?

There ya go... now your picking it up. Thats how you ask questions and make comments.

I rear ended a lady who was on her cell and slammed on her brakes so she wouldn't hit the car in front. The car was fixed by a body shop owned by a friend of mine. It ran perfect when it came out of the body shop. One week later I then took it to "All American Performance" in Woodbury, Long Island N.Y....(1st time ever worked on my car)... Its in a Shell station where I get cigaretes and coffee every morning before work. I built a repore with the mechanic over time. Before the accident I had a small leak I belive comming from a bad intake mani gasket due to the N2O. He offered to change the gaskets for a good price, on his own time one Saturday. That was 2 weeks ago.

VanDarela said:
One week later I then took it to "All American Performance" in Woodbury, Long Island N.Y....(1st time ever worked on my car)... Its in a Shell station where I get cigaretes and coffee every morning before work. I built a repore with the mechanic over time. Before the accident I had a small leak I belive comming from a bad intake mani gasket due to the N2O. He offered to change the gaskets for a good price, on his own time one Saturday. That was 2 weeks ago.

I guess i'll have to turn my "dick" switch back on for a moment but why in the world would you let some guy working out of a shell station to work on your car. Granted i understand because of the nitrous the dealer probably wouldnt let a warranty claim slide but still take it to a reputable place. Legally, since you let this guy work on it while on personal time your gonna have a very very hard time now getting him to pay for anything. Unless he man's up and agree's to something your gonna be looking at a court case and legal fee's. I guess a positive to come out of this is for others to learn not to take to repairs in this manner.

Fla02LS said:
I guess i'll have to turn my "dick" switch back on for a moment but why in the world would you let some guy working out of a shell station to work on your car. Granted i understand because of the nitrous the dealer probably wouldnt let a warranty claim slide but still take it to a reputable place. Legally, since you let this guy work on it while on personal time your gonna have a very very hard time now getting him to pay for anything. Unless he man's up and agree's to something your gonna be looking at a court case and legal fee's. I guess a positive to come out of this is for others to learn not to take to repairs in this manner.

It was a reputable place. Well known around there, There were always BMW's and Benz's being worked on. Regular matainence and performance. The guy was a good guy. Regardless on his own time or not it was done there. As soon as I told him I was getting the DMV involved he "manned up". $1800 in labor and I don't how much in getting a new piston. plus he paid for car to get flatbedded to another shop where I want the work done. Warranty 12 months 12,000 miles.

Members online

No members online now.
Back