Personal opinions on the Zephyr

illycut

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I was just wanting to get some opinions for lincoln buyers on the car.
I think it is a pretty good looking car, and for lincoln it is quite impressive.
Other than the fact its FWD and its "underpowered" for a luxuary sedan, what are your likes and dislikes of the vehicle. I know if i do one i would supercharge it get the power back, and then it should be nice

I wont be able to say for sure til I road test one. I need to feel it, I also need to see it in some other colors. Looks promising though.

ya if it came with more power than we might have somthing there. I would like to see a lincoln with a 5.4L DOHC RWD. that would get her moving

illycut said:
Other than the fact its FWD and its "underpowered" for a luxuary sedan, what are your likes and dislikes of the vehicle.
Unfortunately, those 2 little details prevent us diehard performance guys from getting to excited about cars like this. I could see myself leasing one if Ford really stepped up and put a super high residual on it, unfortunately, the lease guys learned their lesson with the SUV craze in the late '90's. I know my lease company took a -$8000 hit when I turned in my Ford SUV. Ouch!

As for the rwd and the large engine thing, i think those two were negated on purpose. an entry level vehicle with a quality RWD system would increase cost i believe. Also, with gas prices as they are today, its easy to see that a large engine is not practical and it can not yield good gas mileage without expensive technology accompanying it (like the hemi that cuts a cylinder to get 25-28mpg on the high way). Lets hope the cost they saved on things many love will be balanced out with lots of cool features in other departments.

well maybe lincoln is just doing us a public service by trying to get seniors out of big cars with big engines. This car obviously will not appeal to the younger crowd that wants to live the glory days of horse power laiden vehicles.

eL eS said:
well maybe lincoln is just doing us a public service by trying to get seniors out of big cars with big engines. This car obviously will not appeal to the younger crowd that wants to live the glory days of horse power laiden vehicles.

As stated before, they have hinted at introducing the 3.5 a year later along with a for sure addition of AWD. The thing that really sets this lincoln appart from any other car is the fact that it will have 14 speakers amplified with 600 watts and certified by THX, this includes Two subwoofers in the back. The navigation system is also the most advanced navigation system that Lincoln has to offer featuring a brighter screen than the previous versions and more details.

The styling is distinctly different than its mercury milan and ford fusion counterparts which will also be available with AWD and a year later will be offered with a Hybrid option.

I believe that as long as lincoln introduces the 3.5 Liter to this car, that it will do very well. But if they keep the 3.0, which by no way for a car this size is any sort of Underpowerment, that it will not sell. It is to compete with the Acura TL, and the Lexus IS. This is a segment that neither cadillac nor lincoln have ever attempted to compete in.

I think its a great car, and if I have enough room in it, I will do anything within my power to get the 3.5 (if offered) AWD version with the THX sound system. I would then proceed to lower it and add twin turbos to it. and race it against the best acuras and lexus's.

It will be awesome, as well as the new aviator and whatever town car replacement is to follow.

TownCar97 :L

Not bad for the "Retirement Home Crew" But "The Early Boomers" are a different group of retirees... They're gonna want to brag to the next door neighbor about their autos. I don't think Lincoln has a hit on their hands with this car! Definitely nice inside, got to see it up close at the car show... but didn't hold my attention very long. Perhaps thats because the Astin Martin Vanquish-S was in the section next to it!!! LOL

As stated in another post, I find the cars appearance bland and homley. Come on auto designers, it's bad when every car looks as if it were designed by the same committee of dullness. Reminds me of the late seventies when most cars were stone cold ugly. I'm about to start agitating to bring back big fins or something, anything.

:I To me, the styling is pretty lazy. Same with the 500. They need to get on the ball like Chrysler. The Charger, 300, and Magnums are love it or hate it designs, but they generate a response and get people talking. My reaction to the Zepher and 500 is pretty much just a shrug. Ford is holding back alot in the design department and Cadillac is making all their cars look the same. I hate to say, but I don't see anything new made by Lincoln or Cadillac in my future.

I like the new Zephyr. Let's just hope that the V6 is more than just 200hp. I'm sick of cars that only have 200hp V6 engines. Maybe it'll use Mazda's 3.0L 220hp V6 that's used in the 6.

to the guy above, sorry it will be 200hp 3.0 duratec.
But hey, leaves room for a supercharger, expect that to hit the market, soon after the vehicle does.

I really like the new zephyr. I think it is a sharp and sophisticated looking car with good design inside and out. I dont think anyone should be judging the power of the car, or lack of, until they get a chance to drive it. With the right gearing in the new six speed, it may very well perform past expectations. There is only one thing I dont really like about the interior, the bread box style of the center console area. Other than that I like it and cant wait to drive one.

The car will founder until the 3.5 and AWD arrive, at which point it will be a solid competitor in the marketplace. Of course, that assumes that they got the ride, handling, NVH, etc. where they should be and that the car's feel is sufficiently differentiated from the Mazda, Ford, and Mercury.

However, I'd never consider buying one because it's not RWD. AWD might get me in for a test drive, but I'm awfully suspicious of anything with the engine in it sideways.

ill consider the AWD model. but i want to see how long the tranny lasts before it starts to roast.

Wow... I just got done looking at the Zephyr, and the only word that I think describes it is "vanilla." That has boring styling, and a boring powerplant. It looks like they barrowed some design concepts from the Toyota Camry department, but they are sure to forget to barrow the quality control.

I'm not sayint Lincoln is bad, I'm saying that Toyota has good QC, and also extremely boring cars. Its too bad they didn't make something that stands out from the crowd and makes a statement, I think that this car will be a flop.

It looks good but it's essentially the exact same car as my mom's montego and the ford 500. i like the room in that car but the engine and tranny are sloppy. hope they fix that for this one but FWD makes me do this :Bang AWD would be good but TT that 3.5 duratec and throw it in there with the AWD and i'll be happy. i prefer my 93 TC to my mom's montego :L

mattlikespeoples said:
It looks good but it's essentially the exact same car as my mom's montego and the ford 500. i like the room in that car but the engine and tranny are sloppy. hope they fix that for this one but FWD makes me do this :Bang AWD would be good but TT that 3.5 duratec and throw it in there with the AWD and i'll be happy. i prefer my 93 TC to my mom's montego :L
if mercury could give Hid standard on the montego, why couldn't they make hid standard on the Zephyr.

why would you buy a car from Lincon an over priced ford the leather isnt even that nice the price does not match what your getting for the price these cars are not LUX look to the fatherland AUDI BENZ BMW hell you wont even believe how nice the new VW Passat will blow this thing out of the water do some looking VW is moving Bentley ideas into every one of its products

as for gas mileage we ran to huntsville al average mpg 27.6 for 1126 miles at 70+ with the 4.6 5-speed and it was + a lot of the time. got to let an engine breath.jd

In 1988 the Lincoln Continental was redesigned, It was underpowered and FWD. It ended up partnered with the TC outselling Cadillac that year. It also became one of the best selling Continentals. All I can say is it's to soon to tell how well this car will sell. As for the styling I think it's a nice car. I wouldn't mind having one with AWD. :Beer

I know that the retro look might be the in thing these days but I thing they went a bit over the top. The design is a bit dated

39linc01.jpg

it looks all nice but im gona wait till teh contie comes out then ill get my next real new car

Members online

No members online now.
Back