Parking brake replacement

Did you correctly compress the pistons in the calipers at the last brake job (by rotating them in)? Are the pistons correctly aligned with the brake pads?

I have only had the car since May. I have not replaced any of brake pads or rotors. I did remove the caliper and inspect it though. The slot in the piston does line up with the button on the back of the pad. There isn't any binding and the pads are not dragging. Also the cable has slack so it is not preventing the lever from returning to the stop.

I even asked the parts guy about the "cap" and there isn't even a part number for it nor does it show up in his parts diagram. I had to show him the picture from the manual...I wonder if we could fashion a suitable replacement???

Go to your local hardware store and look for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-...ocphy=1023626&hvtargid=pla-570216767519&psc=1

IIRC... they come in different sizes. And not the local big box stores... but a Tru Value, Ace, Do It Best, or similar.

It's probably a failing/failed parking brake cable, though it could also be a bad caliper or a bad module.
I don't see a way to repair a cable that wouldn't fail very soon. If the calipers check out as working correctly, then I'd replace the left and right parking brake cables (not sure why you are picking on the driver's side cable). The passenger one seems to fail more often, but once one goes, both should probably be replaced.

AFAIK, the only source for the cables is the junkyard.
I'm having the same problem with my 05 LS I replaced the brake caliper that was stuck on the right rear rotor but didnt stop giving me the service parking brake plus the abs as well but what I have noticed is that when I reset the ecm by disconnecting the negative cable on battery and when asked to set parking brake it makes a clicking sounds then the service the parking brake light comes on any idea on how to fix it much appreciated

I would start with a good inspection of the mechanical cables.

I would start with a good inspection of the mechanical cables.
Ok thanks for the advice and info much appreciated I was so relieved when I got it out of limp mode then after changing the brakes this started happening so my next step is to check those cables I've never had problems with them so this will be my first time doing them il give you an update once I get it done and hopefully that was the problem so I can finally go back out cruising

I have a 2000 v8 with
a manual handbrake and my cable broke is there aftermarket support or could i rig up some other cable by length thx

Members online

No members online now.
Back