Painting my Stock Sport Rims..

Travis2000LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay so my rims are the stock aluminum rims that come on the V8 sport in 2000.

I was thinking about painting my rims full black this weekend. Well tomorrow im going to plasti dip my full sized spare to see what it will look like. I will also mask off the outer bead lip to see what it would look like if it were just black with a silver lip almost like the second picture...

My question is. Wich would look better. Black Rim with silver lip, or just plain black.

Also, How would I go about sanding down the finish on the lip to make it more almost chrome like? is there anyway to polish the aluminum? Sand it down with like 1200grit wet sand then buff it out? tape it off paint the rest? Or would this be useless and just paint the entire rim black.

0524011233.jpg

U2 55 BLACK SILVER LIP_full.jpg

I looked at the pics without reading the thread and thought, wow it looks like a completely different rim... plastidipped an extra spoke onto it... 0.o

I like the silver lip personally

lmao smart ass, anyways no it was the only pic I could find really to show what I was talking about. but im wondering how Ill beable to polish the lip to make it a bit more .. shinier?

Personally I'd leave it how it is, I have a very strong dislike towards black/dark wheels. But if I had to choose between going all black or the silver lip I say do the silver lip, helps break up the black of the tire and wheel.

Although i havent used plastidip yet, Id imagine leaving an exposed edge (the lip you'll leave unpainted) might encourage it to peel... just a thought

Although i havent used plastidip yet, Id imagine leaving an exposed edge (the lip you'll leave unpainted) might encourage it to peel... just a thought

depends on the technique you use. If you apply heavy coats in rapid succession, and rip off the tape before the plasti dip dries, you should have no problems...

on a separate note there are several examples on here of painted stock 5 spokes...do a little searching.

Members online

No members online now.
Back