Painting a 1st Gen Hood?

StrykerV8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive done some searching but haven't been able to find a definitive answer. Is there a special way to paint a 1st gen hood? I was told its made up of a sort of composite or fiberglass or something and that if done improperly the paint will "bubble". My FACTORY paint on the hood even has some bubbling at a couple specific spots. Any specific steps or tips anyone can share with me? Is this something I can do myself? Thanks.

The bubbling you have is from the factory glue. My opal hood did not have it, but my black hood sure does.

Not sure of any specific in painting the composite hood. The kid probably knows.

Paint a fiberglass hood is the same procedure as painting a sheet metal hood. The only difference is when you clean it to paint you need to use and anti static cleaner and wipe.

Once the glue starts gassing through there's no stopping it. My '93 was like that and I had it painted. We even used special primer that was supposed to curtail such things. It didn't work. Literally 2 weeks later you could see it starting to bubble again. It looks just as bad now as it did before.

No biggie. Either the hood is up when at a show or when it is down the hood is going to fast to notice it. :D

Thanks guys.

Once the glue starts gassing through there's no stopping it. My '93 was like that and I had it painted. We even used special primer that was supposed to curtail such things. It didn't work. Literally 2 weeks later you could see it starting to bubble again. It looks just as bad now as it did before.

No biggie. Either the hood is up when at a show or when it is down the hood is going to fast to notice it. :D

Yep thats what I was afraid of. Unfortunately Ive got a lot of rock chips as well so it might end up getting painted like I did the bumper anyway.

Paint a fiberglass hood is the same procedure as painting a sheet metal hood. The only difference is when you clean it to paint you need to use and anti static cleaner and wipe.

Far from true.

As driller says.. once it starts no primer will fix it, Most of the hood is fine but the half dollar sized glue spots ford used to bond the top side of the hood to the bottom side will always seep their chemical past anything except a good quality gel coat. I used U-pole to no avail. I'll be junking the hood when paint time comes again.

However if it's convenient, you can strip the hood of all primer and paint and have it re-gelcoated at a boat shop. Auto body shops don't have the problem enough to have a gel coat set-up on hand. Some primers claim to be as good as gel coat, but as of 2 years ago, there's none I didn't try. 3 tries, redoing my flames each time. It sucks.

I would suggest getting a hood that still hasn't been touched since painted from the factory. Sand out any blemishes, use grey filler primer, block sand it, and re-spray it. But don't try to sand it as you would any other panel when prepping for paint, the factory gel coat is super thin, you'll be through it before you know it, then it's junk.

Good luck.

I believe that k9t8m was describing a "generic" fiberglass hood. Not a problematic VIII hood.

In that sense, it is VERY similar to a sheetmetal hood.

However if it's convenient, you can strip the hood of all primer and paint and have it re-gelcoated at a boat shop.

So there is HOPE after all! :)

I was going to fold in and get a fiberglass cowl hood, but I may try this.

I believe that k9t8m was describing a "generic" fiberglass hood. Not a problematic VIII hood.

In that sense, it is VERY similar to a sheetmetal hood.

True, but watching someone take advice you have given in a situation they're not in, isn't going to help much. So it's bad advice.

I agree about the general statement, but it's simply not relevant here. And he probably wasn't aware of the problematic mark viii hood, which needs to be understood to successfully help a fellow out with a mark viii hood.

There was a dude running around town here with the top half of his hood gone, it looked hideous!

I thought these were supposed to be aluminium? If they're fiberglass why don't more people customize their hoods, cowls,scoops, ect. themselves.

Second gens are aluminium.

And to be correct, The 1st gens are'nt fiberglass, it's a compound created by SMC.

Here,

THERMOSETS, THERMOPLASTICS

ThermosetA polymer-based liquid or powder that becomes solid when heated, placed under pressure, treated with a chemical or via radiation. The curing process creates a chemical bond that, unlike a thermoplastic, prevents the material from being remelted. See thermoplastic, which was dismissed in recent years by some resin firms as a "mature" field with a recycling Achilles' heel, has outdistanced thermoplastic injection molded body panels by a wide margin. Ford Motor Co. has set the pace among the Big Three in its usage of thermoset body panels (PT, April '93, p. 70). Japanese transnationals have not embraced either species of plastic body panels, choosing to remain with steel.

Dimensional stability of body panels and the ability to meet E-coat paint temperatures are key advantages for thermoset resin systems. Current platforms with extensive utilization of thermoset body panels--such as hoods, roofs, liftgates, doors, bumper beams, and spoilers--include Ford's Mustang, Lincoln Mark

The Mark VIII was a large luxurious coupe from Lincoln, sold between 1993 and 1998. The Mark VIII was assembled at Ford's Wixom, Michigan assembly plant and was based on the FN10 platform.
..... Click the link for more information. and Windstar van; GM's Corvette, Camaro, Firebird and Cadillac DeVille; Chrysler's Viper and Neon; and various truck models and brands.

At the same time, injection and blow molded thermoplastics maintain a healthy pace in new applications for interior parts, as well as under-hood and fuel-system components. Nylon compounds and alloys continue to dominate the latter two areas, with "lost-core" molded engine manifolds developing as a high-growth application (PT, Feb. '94, p. 21).

They can call it what they want. The fiber, fibre, whatever, that doesn't exist in it, was sticking out densely across the whole middle of the top half of my boken up hood. Just break one. Regardless, you should've just left this thread alone because your input's been completely pointless in solving anything.

I never said there was'nt any fiber in the compound. It's just not the standard "fiberglass" compound that you normally see. What is with the bug up your ass?

I never said there was'nt any fiber in the compound. It's just not the standard "fiberglass" compound that you normally see. What is with the bug up your ass?

Because he repainted his hood like 7 times and is passionate about what a bitch they are to work on...

That may be Brandon,

BUT, i've repainted a few VIII hoods myself, and REALLY don't like someone telling me that I should have left well enough alone because I don't know what I'm talking about.

There was a dude running around town here with the top half of his hood gone, it looked hideous!

I had my upper separate at high speed. But it was located and put back on - with duct tape :(

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

Members online

Back