Painted Calipers

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just painted my calipers red & black.

Initial cleaning was with 3 different sized hard wire brushes, and 3 different sized brass brushes.

Then used caliper cleaner spray, and cleaned again with the hard & brass brushes.

Then cleaned again with caliper cleaner and brass brushes.

Masked off everything thas was supposed to be red, and everything that is not supposed to be black.

Painted 4 coats of Rustoleum Engine Enamel Gloss Black Spray, and then brushed on 5 coats of Duplicolor Red Caliper Paint.

i would either reposition the "LS" on the front fender below the trim strip like the "V8" on the other side, or move the "V8" above trim like the "LS"

i also just realized that i have never seen a blue LS in person, looks good bro

Looks good.

Good eye 1LoudLS

Huh, I just hit mine with some brake cleaner, let it dry for a minute, then spray them with rattle can paint. I have done that on several cars, and they all have lasted tens of thousands of miles; plus, I can just hit it with paint again if it needs it.

It looks nice, though!

I agree dust shield looks nice in black, did you paint the calipers on the car?

Looks great!

I did mine with caliper cleaner and rattle can caliper paint. You did a lot of work lol but it does look good.

When it's time to replace my brakes I'm gonna do this. Probably all black or back and silver.

Painting the dust shield is a good idea.

Thanks everybody. Yes the calipers were painted while on the car. Just metal brushes for cleaning, caliper cleaner, masking and then paint.

I did a quick scuff of the bracket and caliper on mine and used brake cleaner to clean them. 3 coats of blk duplicolor caliper paint and she's been fine w/o chipping since..Stuff is pretty good.

I'm glad I have a Silver LS. All I have to do is keep the caliper clean and it matches the paint :)

I'd probably have gone all black. Still looks nice though.

The original plan was a rustoleum high heat satin black (handed to me by the HD employee), and duplicolor caliper red. I started spraying black but out came a flat dark grey brownish color. So I put a 2nd coat on to see if it got blacker, but it was a dirty dull grey/brown. I had to go to the nearest Autozone and all they had was rustoleum engine enamal gloss black. So I put on two coats of that black over the other two. Read the original can near the bar code and it said BBQ Black. The 3rd coat of brushed on red started to look good, 4th was perfect, and the 5th coat just because. It's better than when I started, with rusty outer edges of the rotor and dirty/rusty unpainted calipers.

i would either reposition the "LS" on the front fender below the trim strip like the "V8" on the other side, or move the "V8" above trim like the "LS"

i also just realized that i have never seen a blue LS in person, looks good bro

Yea, I am still debating where they should go. I couldn't decide so I put one up and one down for now...
Someone else locally mentioned either put a LS on each side, or a V8 on each side.

i'm smelling what your stepping in, also if you really like the "LS" in the front, you should try to find the trim molding from a 1st gen that has the flat spot for the "LS" right on the trim, i have always thought this looked the best. one of the things that i really missed from my 1st gen

Yes that fender molding is what I originally wanted.
I just took the existing emblems from the rear taillights, hoping for a free mod.

I do want those fender mouldings, but it adds up fast.
And then you still have to color match.

Here is a quote from Max ($168.96 + Tax in AZ) for 2 fender mouldings and 2 LS emblems to go on the mouldings.

Yes that fender molding is what I originally wanted.
I just took the existing emblems from the rear taillights, hoping for a free mod.

I do want those fender mouldings, but it adds up fast.
And then you still have to color match.

Here is a quote from Max ($168.96 + Tax in AZ) for 2 fender mouldings and 2 LS emblems to go on the mouldings.

That seems really expensive, Man I wish would have pulled them of the ls at salvage yard i never thought they were that much.

yea, its probably a little cheaper to find in a junk yard, and have painted

Stands out a little too much. Ls looks good enough without saying "hey look at my red calipers". I personally would have gone with black. But as long as you like it, that's all the matters.

Good lookin' car by the way.

:shifty: I like my all-red calipers for now. Seems sportier to me, but black would probably look just as good. Kudos on painting the dust shield I'll be doing that today

IMG_20110508_142208.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back