overheating issue

this is exactly how its installed.

capt.sri10209151139.india_kashmir_pope_protest_sri102.jpg

untitled.jpg

Last edited:
If it's overflowing the reservoir then your thermostat is not working properly. Defective thermostats are pretty common.

thats 2 Duralasts in a row from Auto Zone. screw em,, getting a 180 Motorcraft from O'reilleys

I said it before, your car has a blown head gasket. It overheated with no thermostat. If I were you the next thing to buy would be a hydrocarbons test kit.

I said it before, your car has a blown head gasket. It overheated with no thermostat. If I were you the next thing to buy would be a hydrocarbons test kit.

then where is the coolant going? no white exhaust smoke. oil is nice and clean, and no constant bubbling in the resevoir.

Catalytic convertors hide the fact that the engine is burning coolant until they get really bad. From my experience with these engines, oil and coolant never mix, even in the case of severely blown gaskets. Here's a free way to tell. Have the engine completely cold. Remove the coolant crossover cap and fill with coolant to the top. Leave the crossover cap off and start the engine. If it shoots coolant out like a fountain then you have a blown head gasket.There is no other explanation on a cold engine, except combustion pressure in cooling system. These head gaskets typically fail between the #7 and#8 cylinders, but of course it could be anywhere.

Everything so far says bad head-gasket.
Run the hydrocarbon test and put this issue to rest.

Catalytic convertors hide the fact that the engine is burning coolant until they get really bad. From my experience with these engines, oil and coolant never mix, even in the case of severely blown gaskets. Here's a free way to tell. Have the engine completely cold. Remove the coolant crossover cap and fill with coolant to the top. Leave the crossover cap off and start the engine. If it shoots coolant out like a fountain then you have a blown head gasket.There is no other explanation on a cold engine, except combustion pressure in cooling system. These head gaskets typically fail between the #7 and#8 cylinders, but of course it could be anywhere.

filled system. started car with both cap and plug off. unplugged 2 wire sending unit so fan ran continuously. started vehicle and there was an immediate gurgle up through both the reservoir and the crossover pipe. this lasted only a second. as the car came up to temperature there was significant air bubbles coming up through the crossover opening. when the thermostat opened there was a lot more gushing and pumping of coolant out the crossover. noticed some oil mixed in the coolant as it was pushing out. i flushed system last week.

at this point im inclined to agree its the head gasket. at the very least its building the pressure up in the system forcing the coolant to bypass the cap.

Blown head gasket. Period. Try a sealer if you want. Blue Devil bought me some time but was a temporary fix. You can try driving with the reservoir cap cracked halfway. The backpressured coolant will then escape out the reservoir and you will have to keep adding coolant, but it may help the coolant to flow and relieve some of the overheating. When the temp starts to come up, crank the heater on full blast. All this only allows you to maybe drive the car to work and back, but I drove mine that way for a few months and it never really overheated. I was going to get rid of it anyway and it saved adding miles to my other Mark VIII.

The reason yours is overheating in stop and go is because the water pump impeller is turning too slow and can't overcome the back pressure from the head gasket breach. The coolant flow drops and the engine overheats as a result. Once up to speed the water pump can still cause sufficient coolant flow to prevent overheating. Maybe. That's why I suggest loosening the reservoir cap. That should cause the cooling system pressure to drop but with a head gasket breach there is always excess pressure anyway. It's going to try to blow out the cap anyway so you might as well help it. In fact your pressure cap is probably shot already. Don't replace it. That would make things worse.

Sorry man.

even with cap off completely it gets too hot within about 10 mins. thats idling. i live in the boonies, closest anything is about 25 miles.

im either gonna doa upper end rebuild or junk it and get another. got a decision to make.

People almost always get a new engine when the headgasket goes on these. It's apparently less work and headache than trying to repair what you've got.

That looks like it would be worth a try. To repair the heads is equal to a replacement/rebuild for complexity and access.

I was thinking about doing something like that with my 89 Cougar, and its second replacement of head gaskets, but in the end it is pretty easy to do the head gaskets on in place, and relatively cheap (180 to have the heads machined, and valve seals replaced, 80 for gasket set and bolts). If it was my Mark VIII, and no way to do the head gaskets in place, I am not sure what I would do. I am not equipped to pull the engine, and not sure I have the patience or the stick-to-itness to complete it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back