Outstanding Fuel Mileage

I reset mine every tank or three usually. I rarely get on the highway anymore :( I reset it at the gas station when I start the car to leave. I usually leave it at the instant setting to see what different speeds say and gears etc... I find the mpg close, but I don't find the distance to empty very close at all...

When my 98 was stock I averaged 23.9 like clockwork and if it was highway only then 28 was easy doing 75. Now I am lucky to kiss 21 on the highway.

geeze man you took a huge loss. no regrets though

geeze man you took a huge loss. no regrets though
Seems after some tuning I now see 23 while at 75-80 on the highway. Any faster then that and the vac is at 0 so the car loads up the fuel and drops to 18mpg. :(
Car is averaging 17mpg now though which aint too bad considering its all back country roads at high speeds and then 50% in the town driving.

It's really icy here so I average 15-17 mpg it's funny going 60mph on ice then pinning it and seeing the instant drop from 17 to 4-5 hahha

written better but the Firestone problem I disagree cause 90% of
The tires we replaced had no problems and 70% of those needed
To be replaced cause they were at the wear bars

Well the tire issue that went public between Ford and Firestone was found to be a cover up between both parties. The tire issue originally started in the countries of Saudi Arabia and Venezuela and then carried over to the US. And Ford knew about the issue, because their companies study finding docs showed that the Explorer was rolling over in the dealer test programs. Ford sent the specs of the Explorer to Firestone, and Firestone sent Ford the Firestone AT, ATX and the ATX II, and stamped the tire sidewall with 35psi. But when Ford tested the Explorer with these tires with the specs Firestone gave them, Ford did nothing but lower the psi from 35 to 26. The tire ultimately seperated and ripped apart causing the roll overs or running off the road accidents. But, further investigation found that that approach by Ford of lowering PSI was not the issue to the roll-overs.

Either way, Firestone and Ford pointed fingers at one another and a relationship between 2 mega companies parted ways, except for the replacement agreement Firestone put in place for Explorer, Mountaineer, and Mojavo owners.

After the Senate and NHTSA investigations findings were presented, they found together that the recall of some 6.5 million tires was in connection to a plant I believe was Decatur, Ill, and also a strike at Firestone that was going on at the time tires were being manufactured, and resulted in that plant closing.

Ultimately what made this a mockery issue of sorts was the way Ford and Firestone together were pointing fingers at the Saudi's and Venezuela's vehicle owners and stating it was either weather or low tire pressure related incidents.

It only took one accident to happen here in the states and the family of that vehicle owner to push blame on the tire and vehicle manufacture that the Senate got involved with participation of the NHTSA. But during the investigation, all the other accidents happened. The total tally of that incident was like over 250 deaths and several hundred more wounded.

One of my family friends just retired after 38 yrs with Ford as a Chief Engineer and Designer of the SUV platform, he told me all about it along while ago. We also had issues with it in the Military with the SUV's we were leasing out for transportation vehicles, and duty transport too.

Seems after some tuning I now see 23 while at 75-80 on the highway. Any faster then that and the vac is at 0 so the car loads up the fuel and drops to 18mpg. :(
Car is averaging 17mpg now though which aint too bad considering its all back country roads at high speeds and then 50% in the town driving.

thats pretty damn good considering i get about that and i am on the highway every day

thats pretty damn good considering i get about that and i am on the highway every day

I was getting exactly what you were getting 2 months ago. Bought new O2's for 60 bucks and had them put on for 60$. Then paid 60$ for injector cleaning and I get 17 with a 50/50 ratio. I took a trip to galveston (from houston) and got 25 on the freeway. My IAC has also been bad so I got a new one yesterday and reset my fuel mlilage. We'll see if that will have any effect on the around-town millage. It idles much better now.

Also, I am out of alignment so that's effecting my gas millage.

Members online

No members online now.
Back