Outstanding Fuel Mileage

billcu

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I had to drive to Buffalo last week. As always, I like to reset my average mileage, as soon as I get on the expressway, to see how it does.

I got 31.5 for the 300 mile trip!:cool:

I was in no hurry, and do about 5 mph above the limit. I didn't have to run the A/C, I think that's one reason why it was so high.

I checked the miles to empty after I filled up, this is the highest I've ever seen:

DSC07260 (Small).JPG

When you started your trip, did you trip your odometer to zero? And when you filled up, did you check the mileage you actually got against what the computer said?

I've found that the computer is sometimes rather pesimistic. On my '96, the computer tells me I'm getting 21.7 mpg average. When I fill the car up and check the mileage with a calculator, I'm actually getting about 23mpg. So it was pretty close. However, when my wife drove the '97 LSC to the beach, the computer told her it was getting 18.6mpg. But when she filled up and checked with a calculator, she was really getting 27mpg. Sometimes that computer ain't right. But you may actually be getting better mileage than the computer tells you. However, since you reset your mpg while you were cruising on the freeway, it's probably going to be wrong. You have to drive for a relatively long period of time in normal driving cycle for that computer to be anywhere close to accurate. I'm betting you're not getting the mileage the computer says you are. Check it with a calculator next time you fill up and see what it's really getting. I'm curious.

I've checked the computer vs pump calculations many times in the past on my red and green 94's, and found the difference can be around plus or minus 1 mpg. Pump calculations can be innacurate also.

I'm happy to just use the computer numbers, knowing they are not 100% accurate, but I can tell this car (green 94) gets great mileage consistently, especially compared to my Gen 2 gas hog.:D

By the way, on the way home, I had to use the A/C and only got 29.5 mpg.

Oh, the reason I reset the average on the expressway is, I just want to see the expressway mileage. Surface street averages have too many variables, so I don't bother with those numbers.

It's the original stock base exhaust with about 195k miles on it.

The rest is stock also, but the engine is a recent install of a 125k mile 1996 long block. The trans is a used trans from a 97.

I do like to raise the tire pressure to 32 psi for long trips though (new tires).:)

I do like to raise the tire pressure to 32 psi for long trips though (new tires).:)

wow if I ever lowered my psi that much the side of my tires would
fold over in corners how can you only run 32 or less
I always start with the max psi on the tire then adjust from there

what do you mean not good

and kk I got 28.9 from prior lake to cedar falls Iowa that included
stop lights and an average speed down there of 75-80 then
3 passes at the track and then half way home

Guess Slowmk dosent understand tire pressure versus the weight of the vehicle.
Also a sticker on the pass door frame states the psi.

The pressure on the side of the tire is the most it will take (max), not what it should be set at.

has anyone here worked with tires for 6 years I have and the ratings on the doors
are only a set for a specific tire and for specific handling or lack of
why do you think all those explores were roling over they recommended 23 psi on a truck
so it would ride nice and as I said I start at the max and ADJUST FROM THERE

GO BY YOUR TREAD WEAR NOT A STICKER

I got about 25.1 doing 70-75MPH with AC on on a 300 mile trip this weekend.

I got this one day when I was driving from East Mesa to North Phoenix. I have seen it get as high as 31.1

IMAGE_115.jpg

I got this one day when I was driving from East Mesa to North Phoenix. I have seen it get as high as 31.1

ok thats 20 miles (according to google) mine was rockford to peoria 146 miles mine was much higher earlier on but my pic was after over 2 straight hours

Gen 2s are gas hogs... I never saw a lick over 24 with my CE.
When my 98 was stock I averaged 23.9 like clockwork and if it was highway only then 28 was easy doing 75. Now I am lucky to kiss 21 on the highway.

ok thats 20 miles (according to google) mine was rockford to peoria 146 miles mine was much higher earlier on but my pic was after over 2 straight hours

I got 63 miles one way(according to mapquest). Had to go pic the kids up from the ex-wife.

has anyone here worked with tires for 6 years I have and the ratings on the doors
are only a set for a specific tire and for specific handling or lack of
why do you think all those explores were roling over they recommended 23 psi on a truck
so it would ride nice and as I said I start at the max and ADJUST FROM THERE

GO BY YOUR TREAD WEAR NOT A STICKER

I've worked in the industry much longer than you if that really matters?
The pressure on the side of the tire is the max to run it at ever in normal conditions, not what to set it to.
For example:
Continental info here
Goodyear example here
Michelin info here

If you oversize your tire, you'd be best to contact the tire manufacturer and ask their opinion on what to set it at, as they will tell you, and yes, going by wear then will be a good indication if it's right.

Vehicle manufacturers recommendation for tire pressures are a compromise around comfort, handling, economy, and tread life for the stock sized tire.

ps: the Explorer problem was because of faulty Firestone tires btw, and it was 26psi that Ford originally recommended...

I get about 12mpg normally in town, mainly affected by my bad driving, lol ;) I've not been on the highway in a while, but resetting it while your already in motion is kinda like cheating, no?! :p

Icarus I agree with you on what You said basicly what I said just
written better but the Firestone problem I disagree cause 90% of
The tires we replaced had no problems and 70% of those needed
To be replaced cause they were at the wear bars

I get about 12mpg normally in town, mainly affected by my bad driving, lol ;) I've not been on the highway in a while, but resetting it while your already in motion is kinda like cheating, no?! :p

No cheating, I just try to see the maximum fuel economy I can get on a long (ish) trip.

I had a couple of stops (and starts of course) at rest areas and kept the average where it was.

As far as high mileage for shorter trips, I saw 32.5 mpg when I first started.

You need to get good mileage for a while to get the miles to empty number high though.

Try it.:D

Members online

Back