Oil in cooling system?

BrooklynMark8

LVC Member
Reaction score
When out today and filled the cooling system as per the manual.

1. Check all hose clamps for proper tightness. Ensure radiator draincock is closed.

2. Place heater temperature selector in maximum heat position.

3. Remove pressure cap from cooling system reservoir and fill plug from engine crossover tube.

CAUTION:
Do not fill cooling system through reservoir only. Coolant will not enter engine. Only reservoir and radiator will be filled and engine overheating will occur.

4. Add coolant into fill neck on engine crossover tube until coolant reaches top of fill neck on cooling system reservoir.

5. Reinstall cooling system pressure cap to reservoir.

6. Continue to fill cooling system at engine crossover fill neck until full.

7. Start engine, run at idle. Add coolant at engine crossover tube until full.

8. Reinstall engine crossover tube full plug.

CAUTION:
If engine temperature gauge does not move, coolant level is low in engine and must be filled. Stop engine, allow to cool and fill cooling system as outlined.

WARNING:
TO AVOID THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE, DO NOT OPERATE ENGINE WITH HOOD OPEN UNTIL FAN HAS BEEN FIRST EXAMINED FOR POSSIBLE CRACKS AND SEPARATION.

9. Run engine until thermostat opens (coolant flowing through radiator lower hose becomes hot).

10. Stop engine and add coolant to engine crossover tube fill neck until cooling system is full. Reinstall fill plug.

11. Repeat fill procedure if necessary.

Noticed OIL? in my coolant when bubbles came up during heating of engine. What would be the likely issue that would allow this to happen. Picture below Oil in cooling system 018.jpg

Oil in cooling system 018.jpg

oil filter adapter gasket.

also check to make sure there is no coolant in your oil.

oil filter adapter gasket.

also check to make sure there is no coolant in your oil.

I did change the oil filter adapter gasket a few years back. I replaced the original with one from rock auto. I'm surprised that it would be bad after just 3 years or maybe 4. Would I see coolant on the oil dip stick, or would I have to drain the oil out of the car to inspect? Too cold to get under the car and tighten up the bolt on the adapter gasket this weekend.. but I should check that also

Oil filter adapter gasket going bad will not mix coolant and oil (except on the ground). There is not a common seal between the two, if they both fail then they both will leak on the ground.

Not sure what would cause that. When the transmission cooler in the radiator on my 97 Cougar went it didn't take long to have a strawberry milkshake going in the reservoir. It was less than a pint of transmission fluid but it made a nasty mess in the cooling system.

Well if you're not actually sure what it is I would drain the system completely, run a hose through it until it runs clean out the other end, then refill it. Check again later and see if it comes back. I wouldn't start pulling apart anything else that could be big dollars or big time when all this would cost you is $25 in new 50/50 antifreeze.

Oil filter adapter gasket going bad will not mix coolant and oil (except on the ground). There is not a common seal between the two, if they both fail then they both will leak on the ground.
Not true
I bought a 93 Mark with this problem guy thought it was a bad head gasket so I got cheap only needed an o***
They may not share the same seal but they are in the same gasket and are only .150" apart.approximately.

Not true
I bought a 93 Mark with this problem guy thought it was a bad head gasket so I got cheap only needed an o***
They may not share the same seal but they are in the same gasket and are only .150" apart.approximately.

Thanks for saying what I couldn't. I feel the same way about this problem. I'm looking for another garage in my area with a honest mechanic. I know that will be hard to find :) Just want to get it up off the floor to have a good look around the engine again. It's time.

Verify that you don't have any coolant in the transmission fluid as well. The heat exchanger built into the radiator for the transmission fluid can fail, resulting in cross-contamination of the coolant and transmission fluid.

Members online

Back