Oil Filter Relocation anybody?

Mark8Murder

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Did a search to see if anybody had done it, but all I found was a pissed of dude saying don't do it because it is to hard...blah blah.

Just want to see if anybody had done it and with what kit?

See a lot of kits online, just wanted to see if anybody had some experience with a certain kit.

Reason?: My sway bar is fricken huge and has to be unbolted to get the oil filter out. Just want to make life easier.

I hated doing oil changes on that white rhino! :lol:

There is a FRPP kit I wanted to buy that shows up on ebay from time to time thats only $100 shipped and has all the stuff needed. Let me see if I can locate it for you.

I have been looking on ebay and can't find one ATM cuz I'm at work, but what about the setup that the 4.6 econoline has... It is a factory relocation to behind the drivers side motor mount and is all cast aluminum. It is a factory part...

Ah ha!
OilFilterAdaptor.jpg

It hugs the block and runs under the engine mount.

So that would move it from a hard position to an impossible one. :lol:

I know several people on SVTP using the FRPP one and have no issues with 500+ HP cars. Yeah it dont look uber fancy but I have never known Ford to make chitty FRPP parts.

I have looked at the fancy $250+ plus kits that have the nice looking billet blocks but really, its hidden. Who cares. Ill save $200 for something that functions as well but isnt as pretty if its hardly ever seen.

Just buy a reusable filter that has an opening on the bottom that you can drain it thru.

I may just buy these and have my brother make me some high pressure steel beaded lines.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/969/3323/10002/-1

Why would you think that you would need H/P braided lines? Looks? I agree with Bill on the looks factor. It is hidden and the FRPP kit or the E-BAy kit is going to do the job efficiently. And that kit you showed does not have nothing but the 2 adaptors, and is more expensive than the other 2.

Just my 2 cents bud. :)

How are you trying to remove the filter? Are the gen 2 engines in a different spot then the first gens? I've got 1 1/4" Addco bars front and rear and can get the filter out if I put the front on stands (on the front subframe) and it wiggles out by the PS lines not too bad...

How are you trying to remove the filter? Are the gen 2 engines in a different spot then the first gens? I've got 1 1/4" Addco bars front and rear and can get the filter out if I put the front on stands (on the front sub-frame) and it wiggles out by the PS lines not too bad...

It is not that, like I, I do not care for it under engine right over the k-member. It is easy to get to and replace, but I hate the oil slick it creates on the k-member, oil behind the lines, wiring, and every-time I have to use engine degreaser to clean up the mess. Not only that but you average an extra qt of oil to cycle by using this relocate kit. I would rather have it on frame rail or the like so that when I replace filter it is a clean and neat job every-time.

I know several people on SVTP using the FRPP one and have no issues with 500+ HP cars. Yeah it dont look uber fancy but I have never known Ford to make chitty FRPP parts.

I have looked at the fancy $250+ plus kits that have the nice looking billet blocks but really, its hidden. Who cares. Ill save $200 for something that functions as well but isnt as pretty if its hardly ever seen.

I'm with you, I doubt it's a crappy product, just looks cheap. With everything you've done to the car Bill I just can't add a cheap looking part to it even if it wont be seen..... I know, I know, I'm special

Why would you think that you would need H/P braided lines? Looks? I agree with Bill on the looks factor. It is hidden and the FRPP kit or the E-BAy kit is going to do the job efficiently. And that kit you showed does not have nothing but the 2 adaptors, and is more expensive than the other 2.

Just my 2 cents bud. :)

I understand completely, I am a looks guy. I know it's there and I just want it to look good and be a super clean instal just like the rest of the car.

I'll be able to get the lines cut exact with custom high pressure fittings for cost, which is around $20. Overkill I know, but I'll never have to mess with it again.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, really are appreciated.

It is not that, like I, I do not care for it under engine right over the k-member. It is easy to get to and replace, but I hate the oil slick it creates on the k-member, oil behind the lines, wiring, and every-time I have to use engine degreaser to clean up the mess. Not only that but you average an extra qt of oil to cycle by using this relocate kit. I would rather have it on frame rail or the like so that when I replace filter it is a clean and neat job every-time.

I thought he meant he couldn't get it out at all. ;)
I put a piece of foil on the k-member to cover it and the ps lines there. Any drips off that unless I slip aren't to bad to clean up then. The relocation would make it easier if in the right place, and it would be good to be able to add an accumulator inline as well as the extra capacity you mentioned. I'd be a bit worried about leaks in the future though unless going all out on really good lines/fittings :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back