Oil capacity for Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC.

JC1994

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
awhile back there was some discussion about the oil capacity for our Mark VIII's. some said 6 while others said 7. here is a page from the factory engine service manual that say's it is 6. just thought I would post it to help clear up any confusion.

service manual (Large).jpg

service manual 001 (Large).jpg

I run 1/2 quart excess to help assure adequate sump capacity during hi revs. ;)

driller said:
I run 1/2 quart excess to help assure adequate sump capacity during hi revs. ;)

And your crank is 'swimming' in oil, creating turbulence and robbing you of power and revving capability.;)

Excess windage can be as hazardous to your engine as anything you are afraid of. That extra 1/2 quart won't make a difference, because it's nothing but froth.

I've heard claims of up to 15 horsepower using a dry vs wet sump setup. I therefore believe the crank sloshing around in oil is more harmful than you believe, at least in terms of one's pocketbook.;)

And I might add, I don't believe frothy oil lubricates as well as clean oil, although I readily admit I don't have proof to back up that statement unless I do a 'google'.

Last edited:
MonsterMark said:
And your crank is 'swimming' in oil, creating turbulence and robbing you of power and revving capability.;)

Nothing wrong with an extra 1/4 quart. the crank is actually set up in the block a bit. I would'nt go much above that.

The owners manual says 6 quarts or at the fill line. Mine takes right about 6.5 quarts at the fill line. My 2000 expedition also takes about 1/2 a quart more than it calls for to reach the fill line.

From my experience, the 93-95 take 6.0-6.25 and from 96 up takes 6.5.

turborich said:
The owners manual says 6 quarts or at the fill line. Mine takes right about 6.5 quarts at the fill line. My 2000 expedition also takes about 1/2 a quart more than it calls for to reach the fill line.

this i would also agree with. iirc mine took right at 6.5 qts. last change. this time im using motorcraft 5w20 and running .5 qt low to see if it does anything to 1/4 times/mph

I have all the components for a dry sump system, I'm just too damn lazy to get around to installing it. I want to find a way to keep my AC and power steering.

Got a nice 6 stage Weaver pump and all. :)

vr4 said:
this i would also agree with. iirc mine took right at 6.5 qts. last change. this time im using motorcraft 5w20 and running .5 qt low to see if it does anything to 1/4 times/mph

To verify this hypothesis, you need to run a couple times at 0.5 qt low, then add 0.5 qt and make a couple runs.

Maybe I'm just hard headed, but I doubt the 1/2 quart difference in the oil level in the sump is significant enough to impact 1/4 mile times.

Isn't a significant amount of oil out of the sump when the engine is running, particularly at higher revs? :confused:

driller said:
To verify this hypothesis, you need to run a couple times at 0.5 qt low, then add 0.5 qt and make a couple runs.

Maybe I'm just hard headed, but I doubt the 1/2 quart difference in the oil level in the sump is significant enough to impact 1/4 mile times.

Isn't a significant amount of oil out of the sump when the engine is running, particularly at higher revs? :confused:
I think our pans are baffled to help control oil starvation at the sump.

JC1994 said:
our pans are baffled to help control oil starvation at the sump.

this wont help at all if its all in the top of the engine though.

driller....i know i would need to make back to back runs. i also forgot i did the jmod since my last time at the track.

on the other hand our temps and track conditions are VERY similar month to month.

I don't believe that myself, that all the oil is trapped in the top end. and the baffling is to control starvation at the sump under G-loads {acceleration,braking and cornering}.

No, not all but a significant amount. See what the dipstick says immediately after shutting the engine off. Then wait a few minutes and repeat. ;)

Many years ago I had a Chebby that I really beat. I actually changed oil at the pumps as I had let the oil level fall so low that it took over 4 quarts to get it back on the marks. There was a very big difference in how the engine responded. With the low oil level I could bark the tires, with the oil full it would not. Lesson learned, windage trays do work, and provide more HP.

Members online

No members online now.
Back