Oh 2

eL eS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
He folks,

I am replacing a bunch of sensors this weekend and would like to know if there is a recommended replacement schedule for the O2 sensors. My fuel economy is crap now and I am replacing the IAC, EGR and PCV. as well as the 3 plugs on the LH side. I would do the RH side but I have to remove the intake manifold and that is scheduled for mid Feb.

Thanks in advance,

-nmp

plugs are probably you best bet.

yes - gimmics - the best spark plug is a NEW spark plug.

Quik LS said:
plugs are probably you best bet.

yes - gimmics - the best spark plug is a NEW spark plug.

so whether it be a bargin basement plug or a creme de la creme master piece just replace it and I will do better.

It is most difficult to find an objective review of these items. Whether it be performance or economy.

cool! from the first link... and regarding the denso.

People always ask my plug recommendations. I must say that I like the NGK V-Power Plugs, the Champion Premium Fine-Wire Gold plugs, and the Nippondenso U-Groove plugs for domestics.

one thing is clear... you do not gain performance from a plug. you might be able to recoup lost performance but you do not get more from one.

O2's

Neaver get bosh ther junk and have millions of complants. they suck and do not work for sh it.

Interesting articles... but I have to say that the guy at Century Performance scares me when he says a coil "has to build resistance" so it can fire. Uh, no... I'm guessing this guy doens't have much electrical background, but then, how is he making product? Anyway, Inductors, which is what your coil is, has two properties: Resistance and Inductance. Resistance is what we all know and love, measured in ohms, which is the what describes the hinderance of electrical flow. Inductance, measured in henrys (no I'm not making this up) describes a not so easy to explain property of how much energy a coil can store in its magnetic field. I guess to make it simple, it's the same thing as a capacitor, only in reverse. Confused? Good...

Coils or inductors, are interesting animals. They get bent out of shape when you either introduce a current flow to them, or, remove it once you have established one. Anybody who has been shocked when they have connected jumper cables to a *really* dead battery has experienced a very crude, but effective inductor in action.

So, for a coil to fire a plug, you don't build resistance, you build the magnetic field that is created by applying more current to the coil. (for all intents and purposes, adding more voltage adds more current since the resistance of the coil is a constant; ohm's law) Once you have enough field, you dump the current out of it, and wham, the field tries to raise the voltage to maintain the current flow, which it can't, so the voltage climbs higher. At some point this voltage is high enough to bridge what ever gaps are in your electrical system, and makes a spark. The spark is maintained as long as there is sufficient magnetic flux in the field. As this decays, the voltage comes back down, to a point where eventually the spark is extinguished. Now it's ready for the next cycle of firing.

CDI and digital systems pretty much do the same thing, but their method is a little different, making lots of pulses at a controled rate to get the desired effect. The easiest and probably the most widespread and obvious demonstration of this would be any of the newer mig welders or plasma cutters. You hear that whine they do when the arc is on? That's about 10,000 pulses a second, building and collapsing the field of the inductor inside. Truely an industrial spark box!

This concludes our class for today. :)

:iconcur:
Preach on brother.
Sounds just like one of the electronics classes I took.
I understand and agree but don't expect me to take a test on it.

I've heard that one before. :woowoo2:

I'll do that right after I find the RCA cable strecher.

is there any harm in just replacing the first 2, pre cat, O2 sensors.

Also, on plug changes... I have the V6 and can only reach the 4,5 and 6 plugs without having to do a long song and dance. Is there any harm in just replacing those 3 this weekend and doing the other 3 in a week or 2?

Are you sure they actually need changed? If only one is bad, then just change the one. I don't really thing you'll gain much. I changed a set in my other car once, just because I had an extra set, and to be honest, I never noticed a thing.

As far as the plugs go, the engine wouldn't really care much, but I dunno what the computer would do. It might take the different voltage readings as something out of whack. I don't know exactly how sofisticated this system is. If it was a carbureted engine, I wouldn't think twice. My first guess is to say go for it. How bad are your current ones anyway?

well I have 107k on my O2 sensors and read an independent article that stated multi-port fuel injection systems are good to about 100k miles. Further, they stated that the prolonged use can eventually lead to slower responses from the O2 sensors during closed loop operation.

Being a military guy that had to perform daily, weekly, monthly... PM on a frequently used weapon system I know there are benefits to preventative maintenance.

In regards to the plugs. knowing the lack of tolerance computers have for voltage differences; I intend to do the all at once. The more I read into how all of the sensors work together to maintain air/fuel mixture the more I see that an evenly applied apparoach is best even if just as a safe guard.

This will be the third set of plugs in 107K miles when I replace the current set. I do a lot of hwy driving and my gas milage is in the bucket right now. SO my goal is to bring the numbers back up and do somehting proactive to extend the life of my LS.

It wont make any difference if you change some this weekend and the rest next weekend.
But it just doesnt make sense to only change the one thats bad.They're so cheap and eaasy to do I ALWAYS change them all.

As far as the O2s go

From one of my other posts "Send this guy a pay pal for 68 bucks along with your address and he'll send you four brand new O2 sensors. 78pinto@sympatico.ca

Dont ask me how he does it but I have bought a few sets from him and they all show up perfect.
If you have a gen 1 you only need 2 and they are 48 bucks for 2 of them."

Tabs MAY need to be trimmed off to fit in your loom, but they WILL work fine!

53844hegoplugendtweaked.JPG

These should work in the LS no problem.

unstoppable said:
It wont make any difference if you change some this weekend and the rest next weekend.
But it just doesnt make sense to only change the one thats bad.They're so cheap and eaasy to do I ALWAYS change them all.

As far as the O2s go

From one of my other posts "Send this guy a pay pal for 68 bucks along with your address and he'll send you four brand new O2 sensors. 78pinto@sympatico.ca

Dont ask me how he does it but I have bought a few sets from him and they all show up perfect.
If you have a gen 1 you only need 2 and they are 48 bucks for 2 of them."

Tabs MAY need to be trimmed off to fit in your loom, but they WILL work fine!

53844hegoplugendtweaked.JPG

These should work in the LS no problem.

I intend to do all the plugs, you are right even the most expensive are cheap whne it comes to auto parts. The problem I have with my LS is that the RH side is buried under my intake manifold.

I have plans to go in there any way and replace my valve cover gasket so i will do the job at the same time. But the LH side is easy a pie and I just want to get a jump on the work at hand.

I intend to do some paint work on my intake manifold at the same time and the sum of all the work will be just too much to fit in a weekend.

Thanks for the O2 sensor lead and the feedback.

Members online

No members online now.
Back