No power to fuse box? No ignition.

So from an electrical stand point there is a disconnect. This much is obvious.

I would begin tracing power lines and look for a pinched line somewhere. Also I would check all grounding on the car. At this point anything is a suspect. Do you have a custom radio installed?

Anyone ever owned both 1st and 2nd gen and has a preference. Thanks guys.

I had Both an 02' and an '05. A Few things stood out to me:

What I like more of 1st Gen:
*The 1st Gen use hydraulic steering, vs electric for 2nd Gen. This is merely personal preference, I liked the 1st Gens steering.
*1st Gen have a hand E-brake whereas 2nd Gen use motorized e brake. Prefer hand brake to snow drift here in Canada ;)
*1st gen use a throttle cable. 2nd Gen use electric accelerator. I found throttle cable to be more responsive.

What I like about 2nd Gen:
*Suspension seemed improved on 2nd Gen. Cornered better iirc
*Transmission noticeably better on 2nd Gen, mainly 1st - 3rd gear ratio's. Improved 0-60 as result.
*Upgraded HP + Torque along with wider exhaust (0.5 inch).
*My '05 had curtain airbags. +1 for safety.
*Vented Seats and perforated leather. Ideal for the heat.
*Interior design improved with the larger, more versatile center console.

Overall, I felt the 2nd gen was hard to get used to after driving a 1st gen for 5 years before it, but once I adapted, I realized I would never get a 1st Gen again.

Hope that helps.

What I like more of 1st Gen:
*The 1st Gen use hydraulic steering, vs electric for 2nd Gen. This is merely personal preference, I liked the 1st Gens steering.

This is 100% not true. I have an 04 and an 06. Both are normal hydraulic assist steering with the engine driven pump, just like the 1st gen. There was never electric steering on the LS.

Last edited:
This is 100% not true. I have an 04 and an 06. Both are normal hydraulic assist steering with the engine driven pump, just like the 1st gen. There was never electric steering on the LS.

Why is the steering lighter on the 2nd gen? Its so much different.

It has more boost at low speeds, to make parking and such easier. It's still low boost at higher speeds.

Thanks guys I certainly appreciate the advice. I’m assuming the alt will need replacing since I did have a check charging light on periodically when this happened. But like you said I could remove the alt and as long as I had a good battery I should have power to things just off battery voltage. Had Battery checked it was good according to autozone but I poped another battery that I new was good in and got the same results. Still haven’t found a single fuse blown anywhere. I’m gonna try a little more to trace down before I offer it up as a mechanics special for cheap. On another note I picked up the 03 today:))))). I think I got a steal on it this thing is so clean. Grandma had to have it garaged it’s whole life. Radiator hose is in transit should be on this weekend. Truly gonna miss my first gen tho she was a great car for last ten years. I’ll try and upload a few pics of both this weekend.

Thanks guys I certainly appreciate the advice. I’m assuming the alt will need replacing since I did have a check charging light on periodically when this happened. But like you said I could remove the alt and as long as I had a good battery I should have power to things just off battery voltage. Had Battery checked it was good according to autozone but I poped another battery that I new was good in and got the same results. Still haven’t found a single fuse blown anywhere. I’m gonna try a little more to trace down before I offer it up as a mechanics special for cheap. On another note I picked up the 03 today:))))). I think I got a steal on it this thing is so clean. Grandma had to have it garaged it’s whole life. Radiator hose is in transit should be on this weekend. Truly gonna miss my first gen tho she was a great car for last ten years. I’ll try and upload a few pics of both this weekend.
That's great news Joey! I hope this Gen 2 serves you as well as the First Gen did and I'm sure it will be a nice upgrade...I know how it goes when you need transportation ASAP ...everyone needs to work...happy motoring with the new 03'

So from an electrical stand point there is a disconnect. This much is obvious.

I would begin tracing power lines and look for a pinched line somewhere. Also I would check all grounding on the car. At this point anything is a suspect. Do you have a custom radio installed?

I’ve traced as far as I could go with what tools I have. Just a simple multimeter and test light. Yes I have a system in the car. I installed myself but it is completely Unhooked at the moment. I Built custom enclosures for a lot of stereo shops around here and pretty familiar with 12volts and don’t suspect anything with the system since it had been fine for last few years. Open to suggestions if u think the system had something to do with it but it was pretty simple headunit and 2 Amps. 8 inch and 4 inch speakers in custom door pods I built and 2 12’s in the rear deck. Sounded amazing but unfortunaly I can transfer the door pods to new car.

That's great news Joey! I hope this Gen 2 serves you as well as the First Gen did and I'm sure it will be a nice upgrade...I know how it goes when you need transportation ASAP ...everyone needs to work...happy motoring with the new 03'

Thanks buddy it was like Christmas last night couldn’t sleep thinking about getting the new ride haha!!! Can’t wait to get some thing going on the 03 and share some pics of what I did to the interior of the 00. Still would like to know what’s up with the first gen tho I’ve never been unable to fix something myself so it’s super frustarating.

Thanks buddy it was like Christmas last night couldn’t sleep thinking about getting the new ride haha!!! Can’t wait to get some thing going on the 03 and share some pics of what I did to the interior of the 00. Still would like to know what’s up with the first gen tho I’ve never been unable to fix something myself so it’s super frustarating.
Looking forward to seeing what you have to say about the Gen 2 ...after I clean up my 01' 3.9 I'll be looking for a 2nd Gen myself so it will be great to hear what you have to say about this new LS! All my best and looking forward to the pics that are coming ...take care my friend

Okay so I wanted to snap a few pics today of both of them so here you go. First is “silver fox”. 2000 v8. Dead!!! Here’s a few pics of the door pods I built and the subs in rear deck. Remember I wasn’t even close to being finished. The doors need to be painted and then vinyl was going to be wrapped on the new parts I made. Stole a Lincoln emblem from the door seal in the junk yard and had those flushed in there as well. Thought they were coming along good.then she died. Sux I can’t use them in the new I made the enclosures for theese doors. And I use a old alpine eq and I mounted where ash tray was.

A8070C97-DEE1-43E3-866D-18B5CB5BFC20.jpeg

79A94ED5-010B-47B2-A0C8-6CDFA8C8BC2C.jpeg

DAD13C5E-730D-4F89-89D8-EB9A6090343C.jpeg

DC8E31B7-3F1E-4FDC-9EDE-D919EE98A1BA.jpeg

5A2A8606-D558-4C8C-A354-62B06030E7F5.jpeg

And here’s the new girl. 2003 v8. Haven’t named her yet thinking ivy since the color. Beautiful car and so clean. And a money shot of both.

E490B313-2A29-4D35-8706-13F718732CA4.jpeg

015D490F-B92F-4D57-ACBD-B520A3654551.jpeg

807183FB-2E8D-44FE-9867-F7B292FD3723.jpeg

F785EB2C-A329-414A-BF61-DBF1CC39FD52.jpeg

A9DA251C-7CAA-498D-A562-D92AF7026AFD.jpeg

And here’s the new girl. 2003 v8. Haven’t named her yet thinking ivy since the color. Beautiful car and so clean. And a money shot of both.

View attachment 828569325

View attachment 828569326

View attachment 828569327

View attachment 828569328

View attachment 828569329
You certainly gave me ideas with those speakers in the door ...nice mod ...the engine bay looks great ...looks clean ...youll have to open her up n the open road and see what she does ...nice ride!

You certainly gave me ideas with those speakers in the door ...nice mod ...the engine bay looks great ...looks clean ...youll have to open her up n the open road and see what she does ...nice ride!

Thank you. Doors were kinda a pain to build both the 8 and the 4 are in sealed enclosures. Tricky to fit the 8 but stay behind the existing door panel. I didn’t want anything to concave out if that makes sense wanted it to stay as flat as possible with nothing sticking out any further than the panel already did. Toughest part was fitting the 8 with the window directly behind it. Worked out perfect tho. I’ll have to think of something new for the next ones. And yes I can’t wait to open her up. Just driving home today I could feel the difference in the 2 cars. Need some more time behind the wheel but I love it already!!

Sweet new ride.

Also don't block a sidewalk, that's a ticket.

Thank you. ya I’ve gotten a ticket for blocking the sidewalk once already at my old house but driveways are so small here they don’t ticket us for it.wish I had more space haha. That’s one reason I can’t keep the 2000 is because of parking here.

WOW….just had the same thing happen on my 2004 LSE yesterday……..

Turn the key…nothing….

No interior lights, no power locks….

But the windows will go up and down without the key, so will the sunroof.

I am getting “service parking brake” , “Exterior lamp data error”, “Trunk Sensor Data error”, “engine sensor data error”.

Now, I did have the radio and climate control out trying to run wiring for a satellite radio docking station.

I do have 12 volts of power at the cigarette lighter and aux 12 volt port.

Battery is up to charge and I even connected a charger just incase….

No luck…..

Any ideas???????????????

THANKS,

Those error messages are from the message center in the cluster?
Sounds like you have shorted out the data bus.

Well our problems seem a little different since you still have power to some accessories (windows sunroof etc). I would check the fuses in the trunk and if they all seem good I would agree with joe that something happens with the data bus. Mine say the same errors but that’s because none of the acc have any power. Sorry to hear this and hope you can figure it out.

Yes...messages are in the inst cluster on the rt side
The "data bus" you are referencing ...where is the location.
I checked all fuses in the trunk and under the hood. All appear good

The data bus is a pair of wires that run to pretty much every module in the car, including the DATC and the radio.

Also, there is a fuse panel in the cabin, behind the front passenger kick panel.

Yes it did.....
Fairly new to the LS ...
Purchased it from a customer a few months ago for a "very" low price.
I own a body shop and we had done a few minor things to the car over the past years and I always loved the car and told him if he ever wanted to sale it to let me know.
Having a blast driving it.....

Members online

No members online now.
Back