No power to fuse box? No ignition.

Joey c

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m having a sudden problem today for no reason all my electronics or not working. No ignition chime, dome lights, fuel pump prime, door locks, windows, nothing works. I have 13.2 volts at the battery so I know its not a battery issue. I’m getting power to only half of the fuse box located in the trunk. All fuses on the outer side have no power. Any ideas on a central fuse that could be blown or maybe a relay? All those fuses control everything that’s not powering up but the fuse box itself seems to not be getting power just to that side, all fuse on the inside line are powered up and fine. Thanks fo any input.

It’s a 2000 Ls v8 if that helps. And I was having the check charging light on dash come on from time to time lately and I know that usually is a sign the alt is going out. I understand that could cause the problem but something else is going on. When I disconnect the battery and then reconnect I don’t hear any of the normal loud relays clicking in the trunk just silence.

Last edited:
I'll have to look at the wiring diagrams tonight. I do believe there is a high current non-socketed fuse back there. It's also possible that the fuses you are talking about are only live when the SSP relays are engaged. It's telling that you don't hear them click on. They are driven by the REM. It's behind the trunk light.

You should probably look unbolt the rear distribution box and look for corrosion on the bottom side of it. Also try unplugging the connectors to the REM and reconnecting them.

PS: It's not for no reason. It's just some reason that you are as yet unaware of.

Thank you joe you’ve been help on numerous occasions and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I have already taken the distribution box loose in the trunk and appears to have zero corrosion on it. I did find a 175 watt mega fuse bolted to the back of the fuse box and I check it seems to be okay. Just started reading about the rem It seems a few people have had problems with them before so I will try unplugging and reconnecting. I’m guessing since I’m not hearing any of the relays engage when I hook up the battery that could likely be a cause. And your right there is a reason And I’m gonna see what I can find.

Something I just read that seems odd but could be interesting. If you were to replace the rem would that require reprogramming of the keyless enntry remotes. Both my remotes stopped working about 3 months ago out of the blue and I’ve been using the key to lock and unlock since I know the dealer has to reprogram them and I haven’t had time to get by there and it wasn’t a huge pain at the time but reading that could that be another symptom of a failing rem? And when my check charging system light would come on the idle would get real rough but light would shut off after 30 seconds or so then idle would smooth back down.

The REM is not related to the remotes.
The remotes program into the DDM (Driver's Door Module). The DDM has the receiver for the remotes and operates the driver's door lock and the driver's door window. The REM operates the passenger door locks and rear door windows.

You probably have a marginal alternator that may fail soon.

I think that the three problems are unrelated, unless your LS has been in a flood before.

Thanks for the info on that. Car hasn’t flooded but the ddm did get wet once. I was working on the window regulator and had all the wiring and ddm laying inside bottom of door. Of course it started pouring so I had the window secured in place and just shut the door. Came back out an hour or so later and there was an inch of water in the bottom of door and ddm was sitting in it. Unplugged and dried out plugged back in next day and all seemed fine. Then keyless stopped working couple months ago so I picked up a new ddm thinking it had a problem and has worked fine since but haven’t gotten reprogrammed to remote. Then 2 nights ago when this happen we had a huge storm come thru and dump rain for a few hours but I can’t find any reminense of any water anywhere or that anything got wet. It sounds like something may have but I don’t see what could have Ive pulled the driver door apart first thing this morning and everything seemed dry and perfect. Car actually started this morning but nothing in my door would work. Turned it off and went in for a few came back out and everything went dead. When I turn key on gauges zero out and reset but nothing else works. Something keeping that side of fuse box and relays from getting power in the trunk. And I don’t have a sunroof so not the normal water leakage that they would see. Even tried my old ddm I still have it but no difference.

It’s reading at 13.2 sitting there key on or off. Literally nothing powers up tho when you turn the key on except the gauges clock all the way over and back to zero and the airbag light comes on. The status indicator does work but that’s about it. Not hearing all the relays click when I hook battery up. Those suckers are usually loud and when I reconnect it just silence. Should I run to have the battery checked just to make sure. My meter is a little old but I think it’s reading okay.

Okay wait a sec. I had a low fuel light so I reset it and now it says fuel computer data error on msg board. I have unplugged the rem and reconnected it and just put battery back in. Same outcome but now that msg.

And when I go they the stays check it says engine sensor data error door sensor data error trunk and exterior sensor error but I’m guessing that’s cause nothing is powering up

And another thing I noticed last week when I did use my key to unlock it wouldn’t wake up the car. If I used my key to lock it sets the alarm. As long as I unlocked within the time limit till it went into sleep mode I was fine. If I waited till it was in sleep mode the key wouldn’t disarm I would have to open door causing it to wake up and horn would blow until I unlocked again with my key. Just trying to give you all the steps that have happened to get to this point.

Yeah, need to get those relays to power up to go any further.

And another thing I noticed last week when I did use my key to unlock it wouldn’t wake up the car. If I used my key to lock it sets the alarm. As long as I unlocked within the time limit till it went into sleep mode I was fine. If I waited till it was in sleep mode the key wouldn’t disarm I would have to open door causing it to wake up and horn would blow until I unlocked again with my key. Just trying to give you all the steps that have happened to get to this point.
Very interesting to say the least ....I have to admit ....I'm up here in the peanut gallery watching this thread in anticipation ...this is quite a mechanical oddity ...hoping to learn what the solution for this will be...hoping you figure it out soon

ya I can’t hardly find any info about something along these lines. I did find this small article tho. A service bulletin mentioning the rem wakes up the ssp relays when activated to by a combination of things (key, door pin, etc). Nothing seems to wake my relays up so I’m wondering if the rem is dead. Here’s this short article

Lincoln Workshop Manuals > LS V8-3.9L VIN A (2003) > Starting and Charging > Battery > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > All Technical Service Bulletins for Battery: > 05-22-9 > Nov > 05 > Electrical - Low/Dead Battery/No Crank Condition

Gonna go get the battery checked just to not feel any dumber if it is bad but still holding at 13.2 according to my meter. Just realized my seats don’t even power up. Seems like no accessory at all is up.

Gonna go get the battery checked just to not feel any dumber if it is bad but still holding at 13.2 according to my meter. Just realized my seats don’t even power up. Seems like no accessory at all is up.
Wondering if this has something to do with a faulty REM or Alarm system shutting car down? Just a long, long, long shot in the dark when I mention Alarm system but with all the fob troubles and what not I wouldn't rule out alarm system troubles

I keep thinking About the alarm system since it stopped working first. And then the actual key stoped disarming it in the door key hole unless the car was awake. Main question I guess would be could the alarm system keep all the relays and fuses from powering up. Even when I reconnect the battery?

I keep thinking About the alarm system since it stopped working first. And then the actual key stoped disarming it in the door key hole unless the car was awake. Main question I guess would be could the alarm system keep all the relays and fuses from powering up. Even when I reconnect the battery?
How long have you allowed your car to sit without any battery connection?

It sat for a good 45 min or so with the battery out. When I hooked the cables back up nothing really happens no relays click or alarm going off. Just nothing haha. That’s why I wanna get the battery checked to be sure but my meter says it’s sitting at 13 volts.

It sat for a good 45 min or so with the battery out. When I hooked the cables back up nothing really happens no relays click or alarm going off. Just nothing haha. That’s why I wanna get the battery checked to be sure but my meter says it’s sitting at 13 volts.
Do you have jumper cables that could be hooked up to battery with another car and let it jump you for like 5-7 mins then I would disconnect negative cable for 10 minutes and then reconnect negative cable to your battery and see wife something happens

Yes waiting on the wife to get back with her car and I will try that. Should have tried that already guess that could have ruled out possibly the battery. Thank you and I will post back soon as I get an update. Figures this would happen I’ve been saving parts and money for 10 years for my car and finally got rims and spring this last month just been saving for tires next but I guess my love had other needs first haha.

Tried to jump start. Nothing new happens. Like there’s no battery at all. Even worse it’s now dark and nothing lights up inside even with the other car hooked up. Somethings keeping power from that fuse box and can’t figure it out yet. Was hoping to hear those relays click when I hooked those cables up but no luck yet.

Members online

Back