No power to fuse box? No ignition.

Your lowest cost option is probably to try one from a pick-n-pull junkyard nearby. It needs to be from an LS of the same generation with the same engine.

Got ya. And that will need to be programmed for my car correct? Will they need the car or could I remove old rem and take along with new one to dealership for programming. Would you think that if the rem has failed the fem is still okay would there be some partial lights and working accessories at least in the front. Just being dumb and thinking if the rem controls mostly rear and driver door and fem controls front and passenger would they still work if the rem is bad since they work off the fem. just curious because if they do work independently From each other than they could still be partial lights but are they linked in a way that if one goes they both loose power. Only other reason I ask is if there is a module that’s upstream so to say that sends a signal to both that may be bad. It’s like neither are waking up but does one control the other or does something else send them signal. Sorry if that’s confusing haha. Like I said running out of ideas so these are just some lingering questions.

The REM controls switched power to the whole car. The FEM can't turn the lights on up front, if the power to them is switched off by the REM.

No, the REM does not need to be programmed/reprogrammed, just swap it in.

Took the battery to the parts store to test just to make sure. It was actually at 12.11 volts and tested fine. Said it could use a slight charge but shouldn’t be a problem.

Guess I’ll be searching for a rem replacement and start with that. May take a few but I will update when I find something new out or have another question. Thank you guys for all the help so far. I wouldn’t have made it 10 years with this car so far without lvc!!!!

So was searching for a used rem to try out. Mine has a serial # of xw4t-13b520-ac
Found a few that end with ab instead of ac. Will those work? The only unit I can find that ends in ac is twice the price of the ab and was just wondering if there’s a difference in the two.

So was searching for a used rem to try out. Mine has a serial # of xw4t-13b520-ac
Found a few that end with ab instead of ac. Will those work? The only unit I can find that ends in ac is twice the price of the ab and was just wondering if there’s a difference in the two.
Personally I would try to find an exact part # match ...this is a part I wouldn't mess around with...keep it OEM

Ya was leaning that way but just wondering if there’s a difference in the two. This car doe not like anything but. Thanks for the help!!!

Interesting. The parts catalog lists YW4Z-13C788-CA as the part number for the REM for your year. It looks like the only configuration difference that causes a different part number is if it is a manual transmission instead of an automatic. As long as it came from a 2000-2002 automatic, you are probably okay.

im not sure what the difference in the ab and ac are. Neither of the listings specify automatic or manual trans. And the others start with y but are completly different part numbers. so a little hard to tell which is which. Saving money is always nice but I’m not certain enough to spend 100 with out it being matching part numbers. The matching one is 150 so for the extra 50 I guess I can be comfortable to try it and if it doesn’t solve the problem I guess I’ll look at the next step.

Well guys I got the replacement rem in today and...................
No luck. Same exact response when I hook battery up. No sign of life with any accesory. Now Im left wondering what to do. I realize it could be a cheap fix or expensive fix. Honestly I’m a bit upset that this is the first time in 25+ years of working on cars that I can’t figure out and fix myself. Always been able to but this one has me. No aside from the obvious problem with the electronics I also will need to replace alt once this is fixed. Needs ac compressor before the summer heat kicks in. Car has 190k on the clock but runs really good when running. Has a very noisy torque converter that need to be addressed at some time. Cats are tripping the cel but they are brand new. All those things considered plus some cosmetic repairs needed. I love my car and I just spent a big chunk of money less than a month ago on rims spring front bumper and some other small stuff that I haven’t even got to put on before this happened. My question i guess is do I sink that much money into a 1st gen to do the repairs or should I look at picking up a 2nd gen that has some of the flaws worked out already. And I have a v8 and most used that I see of the 2nd gen are v6. I prefer the v8 but is the difference in power that big of a deal. I will not be street racing with this big beautiful car but the sweet sound of a v8 is purring compared to the v6. U guys got any thoughts on if it’s worth trying to get this thing going. I will be in a Ls wether it’s this one or another. Anyone ever owned both 1st and 2nd gen and has a preference. Thanks guys.

There are at least a few things about the first gen that I like better (no drive-by-wire for example). FWIW, I once, way back when, almost got into trouble trying to merge while driving a loaner car. Then I discovered it was a sicks. :(

My '02 is a great car.

KS

Well guys I got the replacement rem in today and...................
No luck. Same exact response when I hook battery up. No sign of life with any accesory. Now Im left wondering what to do. I realize it could be a cheap fix or expensive fix. Honestly I’m a bit upset that this is the first time in 25+ years of working on cars that I can’t figure out and fix myself. Always been able to but this one has me. No aside from the obvious problem with the electronics I also will need to replace alt once this is fixed. Needs ac compressor before the summer heat kicks in. Car has 190k on the clock but runs really good when running. Has a very noisy torque converter that need to be addressed at some time. Cats are tripping the cel but they are brand new. All those things considered plus some cosmetic repairs needed. I love my car and I just spent a big chunk of money less than a month ago on rims spring front bumper and some other small stuff that I haven’t even got to put on before this happened. My question i guess is do I sink that much money into a 1st gen to do the repairs or should I look at picking up a 2nd gen that has some of the flaws worked out already. And I have a v8 and most used that I see of the 2nd gen are v6. I prefer the v8 but is the difference in power that big of a deal. I will not be street racing with this big beautiful car but the sweet sound of a v8 is purring compared to the v6. U guys got any thoughts on if it’s worth trying to get this thing going. I will be in a Ls wether it’s this one or another. Anyone ever owned both 1st and 2nd gen and has a preference. Thanks guys.
I haven't experienced a 2nd Gen LS but the cars are out there you just have to look and be patient ...here is a 06' about 20 miles away from me.... And this is a V8 with two sets of wheels coming with it 2 inch and factory two battery's with full system $4500 and you drive it home
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks and ya that’s not a bad deal there. Gonna try and be patient but I also need my car for work so I need to pull the trigger on something or get this one to the shop. I did find a super clean 03 close to me. V8. Interior is flawless looks like whoever drove barley wore the seat in. Does have 130 on the od tho but they are only asking 3900 and I’m thinking they’d take 35 cash. Has records of tune ups and oil changes. Well taken care of. Runs good I checked it out this morning and was impressed how clean it was and ran strong. Does the 03 having any time bomb things to worry about like the timing chain tensioners or tranny issues. I did those tensioners on my 2000 and would prefer not to again haha.

Thanks and ya that’s not a bad deal there. Gonna try and be patient but I also need my car for work so I need to pull the trigger on something or get this one to the shop. I did find a super clean 03 close to me. V8. Interior is flawless looks like whoever drove barley wore the seat in. Does have 130 on the od tho but they are only asking 3900 and I’m thinking they’d take 35 cash. Has records of tune ups and oil changes. Well taken care of. Runs good I checked it out this morning and was impressed how clean it was and ran strong. Does the 03 having any time bomb things to worry about like the timing chain tensioners or tranny issues. I did those tensioners on my 2000 and would prefer not to again haha.
I suppose you'll have to get an estimate and see if she is worth fixing ....this is really bazaar to say the least...

Ya it’s very bizarre. And coming from an electronics background it’s even more frustrating. I’m not a whiz but I know my way around 12v for the most part. Thing is so much is wrong with my car but I love it. Honestly needs a good 2500 in repairs and that’s me doing the work. That’s not including what’s wrong with it now just the other things that need to be done. Would be nice to start fresh with something that doesn’t need as much work. Damn I feel like I got the new car bug already just looking at another Ls that’s cleaner and newer. If I wasn’t 1200 miles from you I’d come check out that 06 but that’s a long ways haha.

As for the 03... The few problems that they had were fairly minor (things like early valve cover leaks), and would have all been resolved by now on an 03 with 130K miles. No worries with timing chain tensioners and such.

As for your issues... I'd probably see where I could get with a good scan tool and manual checks/tests of the wiring to the REM. Unfortunately, it may require dealer level tools to get anywhere. If there's a data bus issue, I'd try disconnecting all the modules on the bus that aren't required for the engine to run (DDM, seat modules, radio, park assist, and so on).
Incidentally, BMW (on the E46 at least) actually put a junction behind the fuse box with individual disconnects for every data bus connection just for troubleshooting. I had a weird issue on mine where a lot of the features of the car would stop working. I finally traced it done to water getting into the memory module for the passenger side mirror.

When my alternator shorted out I had similar problems. Everything went crazy, then dead. It took out my gas pump with it and several fuses. Had to tow the car home. When my battery was going bad, it checked out as good, but all the dash lights warnings came on. Good luck on this one, there are some crazy electronics in the 1st gen.

Alright soooo I went and drove the 03 again today. I really like it!! A few things I found that bother me and was wanting to ask about them. Really only 2 problems that I can find. First is the brakes. Pretty bad shake when they are first applied at high speed. Gets better once you’ve started to slow but not nice when u hit them hard at first. I’m guessing rotors or possibly alignment. Mine did it as well till my last alignment and was fine after that. Other main problem that I’m not familiar with is the sunroof. Last few days I’ve read ALOT of post on here about electrical problems and some seemed to have been caused by a clogged drain for the sunroof and leaking back into the dash and firewall if I’m correct. Well it stormed last night again here and I opened the door today on the 03 and there was standing water in the front pocket of the door panel. The smaller pocket under the speaker and looks like it probably was dripping out of dash into that pocket. Electronics are all still fine in car everything works as it should but just wanna see if that’s y’alls opinion on why there would be water in there. If so is that drain easy to clean or fix. Other than that the only problem I can find is it has a small crack in the plastic t on the upper radiator hose but I can deal with that. Thanks for the feedback on the other stuff!!!

When my alternator shorted out I had similar problems. Everything went crazy, then dead. It took out my gas pump with it and several fuses. Had to tow the car home. When my battery was going bad, it checked out as good, but all the dash lights warnings came on. Good luck on this one, there are some crazy electronics in the 1st gen.
What did you end up replacing after the alt went bad? Did it burn up any modules or any fuses? Thanks for that my light was on when this happened.

Yes, rotors or alignment, but most likely the rotors, and probably the front ones. DIY, this is not expensive to fix.

The sunroof drain hose has pulled loose on that corner. You have to partly drop the headliner and get a short piece of hose and a coupler to extend the hose to where it fits again. I strongly suggest that you do the other three hoses at the same time. Apparently they shrink over time, and they were all pulled tight to begin with. It's a pain, but it's not too bad, and again not expensive.

On the radiator hose, as you probably know, you should really replace all the plastic cooling system parts at this time. This is more expensive than the other items, but as a DIY it is not unreasonable. From your description, it sounds like it would be worth it for that LS.

Thanks joe I really appreciate it. I’m really considering picking it up this weekend. Like I said i need wheels for work and I want to fix the brakes and cooling Plastics under the hood before I start daily driving. Owner has blown away about how much I knew about the car and didn’t really even speak he was just listening to me tell him the problems haha. Might be able to drop that price a little more now since I pointed those things out.

What I replaced? First had the alternator checked out by Autozone, no good, so a new one put in. Then replaced to fuel pump motor. When turning the ignition key there was no buzzing from the pump, dead too. Of course I checked the fuses in the trunk, found several blown. After all that I was good to go! On your question about leaks in the sun roof, yep, I don't have a sun roof anymore, but the ones i did have leaked from tiny rust holes, I really puzzled me tho, some times it would leak others not. Then it dawned on me that the car was positioned differently during storms. Sometimes nose up sometimes down. Water would roll forward or backward in the rail and find the hole. Yes do replace the radiator with the crack in it. Rads are cheap, remove it from under the car due to it's odd shape.

Tireman might Be right ...it could be a faulty alternator ....before you throw in the towel with your Gen 1, Just wondering if the alternator checked out good or bad with this whole situation because I agree a bad alternator can mess with a lot of components in any car much less the Lincoln LS ...In conclusion if you decide to buy the 2003 by all means have the guy drop the price down for all the upgrades you'll have to do with the cooling system parts...all my best

Never say never, but the alternator does not play any role when the engine is not running. You can remove the alternator completely and turn the accessories on and start and run the engine. Of course, you need a good, charged battery for this, but that is still true even with a good working alternator. It can't help you till the engine is started and running.

I can certainly promise that no alternator fault would keep the REM from turning on the SSP relays.

Members online

No members online now.
Back