No luck burning CD's for 98 changer...

LVC Member
Reaction score
Still having no luck getting burned music CD's to play in 10 CD changer, that happens to be working fine again. Yeah, I burned in .wav format ! Not MP3,wma, ogg. Yeah they work on PC and DVD player in house. Tried burning in 2 different PC's. Using Sony CD-R audio from Walmart, Maxell CD-R audio from CVS, both 80min. Tried WMP,Realaudio, Itunes,Nero, and K3B in LInux (which I mostly use). Tried different burn speeds from 4X to full bore. Still won't recognize, just skips over to next CD. Anyone have a specific CD brand/type disk and program/speed? Bought where? that works consistantly???? Maybe I need an old 486 PC with Windoze 98 huh! Have a bunch of coasters here with Jimi Hendrix,Jeff Beck,Robin Trower, King Crimson, Zappa if any of you geezers want em!!! Tnx.

i can play burned cd's in my factory 10 disc. are you sure you are burning them in audio format, the changer wont play mp3 format.

I use Memorex or which ever the cheapest weekly special is for media at Best Buy. I use windows media player to burn my audio cd's. burn at a little slower speed than the fastest it can burn.

is the music that you are trying to burn in .mp3 or .wav format?

are you trying to copy a cd?

WMP will convert your .mp3 format music to .wav format automatically so you can play in your car.

if your player can read .mp3 files, by all means record them in .mp3 format because it is a very much smaller file size than .wav, and you can fit a lotta songs on a cd in .mp3 format.

First it can, and usually is, the media brand if there is a problem.

Second. Use iTunes. It used standard burn formats that always work. The format DOES NOT MATTER. You can burn FROM mp3, wmv, etc. Its just needs to burn an audio CD -NOT an "MP3 Cd", etc?

Whats the difference? True audio CDs are very limited and uncompressed. An MP3 or any other format is pretty much compressed. When you make an MP3 Cd versus and audio CD it really just copying the files over in a structure format that many (today that is) CD players and DVD players can read. But older units can not. Thus you can also burn 100 songs or more where as an Audio CD format will only hold 74 minutes, or about 15 tracks.

I am betting its burning it as an file format and not audio. To tell just put the CD in something. If it has file names and folders - wrong type of burn. If it just says "track 1", etc. Then its burning right but the player is having a problem with the media ink.

its the speed that your burning them in. Thats the same thing that happened with my LS 6 cd changer. It wouldnt play burned cd. I tried different brands of cds and nothing. The recording speed is the trick. You've got 3 types of recording speed fast, medium and slow. You have to switch it to slow. Trust me it'll work.

Cd's work fine in 99 MOPAR....

Did I mention I burned in .wav and tried from 4X speed and up? I think so. Tried 3 that I made one copied from a real CD and they all play in my friends '99 Dakota stock in dash. Still won't play in Mark, it just looks at em and skips over. Have to find another media. I hear Verbatim discs work well (usually) in older rides. As far as files and folders, sure there are files and folders on a music CD. You just don't see them in Windoze. All Win shows you is 44K marker files. A real OS will show you everything on the CD as shown here on my Linux desktop. Old tech vs. new tech can sometimes be a struggle.
First time trying to make Cd's for an old car though I've been making them since the 2X days when CD's were only SCSI and options on PC's . If I find a good media I'll let ya'll know.

screenshot1.jpg

Maybe your CD changer is F-ing up. I've got one you can try them in if you want. It's in my 98 LSC. That'd give us a good reason to finally meet up....

Members online

No members online now.
Back