New project (Barn yard find)

UltimateSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Miami, FL(Home of the rust free MARK VIII's
Ok guys I need help from more experienced hands. I just got this 2000 Mustang GT & believe it or not I bought it for $1,500 with a blown motor. The body is straight as an arrow. Wheels are insane. They are 18x10's front & rear on 1.5 inch spacers. It has over $2,200 in performance suspension parts & wheels alone. It's a 2 owner car with no accidents. We want to install a Mark VIII motor in this puppy & create a Cobra clone with the right heart but I've never done a full swap before. We don't just want a cloned shell with a SOHC, we want a nice DOHC in there. Ok, back to the Mark motor thing... I know the Gen 1 motors have a bit more power but I think I'd be more satisfied installing a Gen 2 motor.

What do I need to do first? I'd like to find a nice motor with no more than 110k. Nothing too high. Something I know I can install & not have to worry much about. I'm assuming I should also get the ECU from the same Mark? Anyone feel free to chime in. This is a slow project for the next 8-12 months.

30f911d8-9150-41b4-836a-4cc3cb3a3a72_zps9c4ec7c3.jpg

bba620b1-605e-40c3-b30e-14fac3191ef1_zps6cb3561c.jpg

95bf4de6-65e6-49b6-b0b8-3928e474c000_zps54f332c6.jpg

380a8249-9e58-4750-905d-c4f24c4c515d_zpsb09c6735.jpg

0989df83-593c-4fa1-915c-a5966346b8a3_zpsc83d2bdd.jpg

d61ce1ea-f1b2-47be-b57d-f73baa58d8e6_zpscec65f00.jpg

i would be reading on the mustang boards. the GT guys do this occasionally with the mark motor to build cobra clones.

looks like there is a lot missing from that engine bay. i'd be watching the yards for a complete car to come in, then look for whatever you don't have.

I'd just use the Mustang ECM.....

Grab some Cobra manifolds, might even be able to use the existing H pipe.

Going to need a 6 bolt flywheel if manual.

Yep, it's a very common and easy swap. Keep the Mustang EEC and wiring. You'll need to make a few small changes to the stock Mustang engine harness to fit the DOHC. I'd be looking for a Gen 2 Mark 8 engine, as it'll already have the COP valvecovers, better valvesprings, and better combustion chambers. Though if you really want to build a clone, you should be looking for a set of "C" heads. If you get hung up on anything, just post up here or on any of the main Mustang forums.

cobra manifolds, use mustang engine harness only difference is mustang harness has no knock sensor. ..use gen 2 engine cause its COP and you will most likely need a flywheel....very straight forward swap

in process of doing same thing to my 98 mustang gt...only difference is I'm gonna do a COP conversion

I would go for a new crate motor (Aluminator). Pick your poison on performance level. This way you are not creating a science project and have the right parts for the HP you want, plus a warranty.

Roadboss was likely referring to the old Aluminator rather than a Coyote-swap, but still, you could certainly do far better for the same $$.

i see. so only 7 grand then, but my point stands, too much money for this project i think.

i would be reading on the mustang boards. the GT guys do this occasionally with the mark motor to build cobra clones.

looks like there is a lot missing from that engine bay. i'd be watching the yards for a complete car to come in, then look for whatever you don't have.

Nothing's missing. It's all in the trunk of the car. Everything's there to rebuild this SOHC but I refuse to do that.

I'd just use the Mustang ECM.....

Grab some Cobra manifolds, might even be able to use the existing H pipe.

Going to need a 6 bolt flywheel if manual.

It's automatic. This is actually what we want. DON'T ASK! It's a preference thing.

DO I still need a diferrent flywheel or will the same one from the Mark VIII work?

that looks like its going to be fun. cant wait to follow the build thread.

I plan on doing that right here since the heart of the car is from a Mark VIII.

Yep, it's a very common and easy swap. Keep the Mustang EEC and wiring. You'll need to make a few small changes to the stock Mustang engine harness to fit the DOHC. I'd be looking for a Gen 2 Mark 8 engine, as it'll already have the COP valvecovers, better valvesprings, and better combustion chambers. Though if you really want to build a clone, you should be looking for a set of "C" heads. If you get hung up on anything, just post up here or on any of the main Mustang forums.

Which harness is that? Sorry guys, once again, I've never done this before.

cobra manifolds, use mustang engine harness only difference is mustang harness has no knock sensor. ..use gen 2 engine cause its COP and you will most likely need a flywheel....very straight forward swap

in process of doing same thing to my 98 mustang gt...only difference is I'm gonna do a COP conversion

You say I will need a flywheel. From what car? Mustang Cobra? Mark VIII?

staying auto mark viii flywheel will work...I need a flywheel cause my car is manual I'm putting a gen 2 motor in as well...be nice to follow your thread and maybe we both can help eachother along the way

I think the harness issues will be lengths of some sensors, and maybe ignition coils/COP.

The Mark flexplate will be fine.

Which harness is that? Sorry guys, once again, I've never done this before.

The Mustang engine harness...the wiring harness that is physically on the SOHC engine. You'll extend a few wires and reverse the pins on the COP terminals.

The Mustang engine harness...the wiring harness that is physically on the SOHC engine. You'll extend a few wires and reverse the pins on the COP terminals.

Ok, kewl! Sounds like it's not that difficult. All in due time guys. In the next 2-3 weeks we will be pulling the motor out of the car. Probably sell it for scrap metal. It's got minor damage but I think I can get more for it as scrap metal than just selling the motor as parts. SOHC valve covers are solid though. Previous owner has them painted blue. Those I know I can sell. Also going to sell the custom cold air intake. I know that's worth some nice cash. He says it cost him close to $400. DOHC motor won't happen for another couple months unless I come across a really cheap, low mileage motor. Either way it will sit for a while before it goes in that engine bay. Thanks guys.

Lsx swap...6.0 lq9 with ls6 intake, new valve springs, cam and a th400 trans. Boom done.

Go with a 96-98 engine as said before better springs but they also had the hiflo Cobra oil pump.Start looking for a Cobra oil pan and pickup actually the pickup might be the same.

The best heads to look for are the 03-05 Aviator heads preferably the 05's if looking to put better heads on it.The 99-02 C heads are good but not worth the time IMO.

Looks like a fun project, Can’t wait to see the progress. Remember I'm a picture whore, So take lots!!

Find a 97 motor somewhere and make it work, if you were going to buy a crate motor why put in a mustang when it is worth going into your Mark. A Mark with a coyote is way cooler then a mustang with one.

Go with a 96-98 engine as said before better springs but they also had the hiflo Cobra oil pump.Start looking for a Cobra oil pan and pickup actually the pickup might be the same.

The best heads to look for are the 03-05 Aviator heads preferably the 05's if looking to put better heads on it.The 99-02 C heads are good but not worth the time IMO.

2v oil pickup and oil pan is all he will need

C heads I can do in the future. Maybe 8-10 months. Like I said, it's a long project.

Looks like a fun project, Can’t wait to see the progress. Remember I'm a picture whore, So take lots!!

Find a 97 motor somewhere and make it work, if you were going to buy a crate motor why put in a mustang when it is worth going into your Mark. A Mark with a coyote is way cooler then a mustang with one.

I'm not spending no where near that money. I'd like to find a used Mark motor & go that route. A coyote motor is nowhere near my budget. We have very similar dreams though! :D

2v oil pickup and oil pan is all he will need

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Most if not all 95's and all 96-98 had the Cobra oil pump.The 93-94 had the low flow pumps with a 13/16 inlet vs 15/16 for the Cobra.So if you get a 96-98 Mark engine it will have the Cobra oil pump.Just not sure if the Mark pan will fit the stang,if so then your good if not then you want the Cobra pan.

Don't use the 2v oil pan.The Marks pan is way better then the 2v oil pan.It has crank scrapers and oil baffles like the Cobra pan but their just shaped different and the Mark has that reservoir on the passenger side which might be a problem.

I would think that a forged crank & Rods along with "C" heads would be a minimum as trying to put this stuff on later will be a pain and needing more gaskets, re-timing & stuff. This would also lead to an after market flex plate.

Most if not all 95's and all 96-98 had the Cobra oil pump.The 93-94 had the low flow pumps with a 13/16 inlet vs 15/16 for the Cobra.So if you get a 96-98 Mark engine it will have the Cobra oil pump.Just not sure if the Mark pan will fit the stang,if so then your good if not then you want the Cobra pan.

Don't use the 2v oil pan.The Marks pan is way better then the 2v oil pan.It has crank scrapers and oil baffles like the Cobra pan but their just shaped different and the Mark has that reservoir on the passenger side which might be a problem.

mark pan in no way will fit...2v pan is totally acceptable to use and seeings he already has those parts ready makes perfect sense to use all he will need is a windage tray

Members online

Back