New owner of 04 LS V8.

lumlum64

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello i am a new owner of a 04 LS V8 with 169xxx miles. i think it is the sports edition and so far i couldn't be any happier. I have only one issue right now and that is after i start up and get to my destination like a gas station, when i get back in to start up it just turns over and over. After about the third attempt it'll start right up. Ive order a fuel filter hoping that's what it could be any other ideas?? I will post pictures later

All 2003 to 2006 V8s are sports.
Other ideas - Change all 8 spark plugs and all 8 COPs (ignition coils).

The car lot i bought it from said they changed the spark plugs and wires but i will be checking for myself sometime this week.

I think they were just feeding you a line. Otherwise, they would have known there were no wires to change. Anyway, the LS eats coils. It may not be your problem, but you'll need to change them anyway. Use OEM (Motorcraft) for the replacements.

Seeing that these cars go through coils how exactly can you tell if your misfiring?? do you have to get it checked or can you check it myself?

You can feel it. And if you're lucky you'll get the Check engine light to blink/turn on

The coils get blamed for all misfires. In my experience, it's usually the boot leaking spark to the flats on the spark plugs. Change the plug and the boot, and use dielectric grease. The boots are Delco pieces and cost about $6/ea. My '03 has 200,000 miles, and it seems to start getting misfires after 40,000-60,000 miles on the plugs and boots. I've changed the boot/plug sets twice over the last 100,000 miles, but the coils are all over 100,000 miles at this point. Both valve covers are leaking oil at the phaser, and one is leaking into a plug well a little, so I plan on doing plugs and boots again while doing the VC's. BTW the last Motorcraft coils I bought said made in China on the bag. I have had good luck with BDW coils from Advance Auto Parts which were made in the USA.

Ok thanks guys once i get to inspect everything ill get back and see if the problem was resolved.

If it takes that long to start it either isn't getting fuel or spark. That's up to you to investigate though. I once a had a Grand Prix that did that and turned out to be a leaky/weak injector. U sed to cycle the key 3 times to prime it and it would start fine.

It's right before the magnetic device that straightens out the fuel molecules.

Just for the record for the OP (in case you didn't get the joke), your LS has neither of these things. It's a returnless fuel injection system. Instead of a fuel pressure regulator, the PCM sends messages to the REM to control how much power the fuel pump gets. It controls fuel pressure in this way, without the use of a regulator. There is a fuel pressure sensor.

I was using the "regular" Costco gas for about six months. Towards the end of that experiment I was getting about 45 fewer miles per tank and the engine took longer to start. I went back to Shell and those issues were resolved. I will go back to Costco when our local station gets their new Clean Power fuel.

Quick update i filled up today with premium gas and a Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner it still did it twice since the fill up so i will be ordering the fuel filter. The more i drive it the more im loving it. Ive got to get the windows tinted it was 94 today and the a/c took awhile to get temp under control.

Quick update i filled up today with premium gas and a Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner it still did it twice since the fill up so i will be ordering the fuel filter. The more i drive it the more im loving it. Ive got to get the windows tinted it was 94 today and the a/c took awhile to get temp under control.

Your factory glass already has a solar tint that stops most of the radiant heat that you are going to be able to stop. Added tint will mostly just reduce visible light.

My 325i does not have the solar tint, and it makes an incredible difference. You can get burned getting in that car after it has been sitting in the sun awhile. I now understand my people put those sunshade things in the windshield when they park.

Maybe your AC refrigerant (R-134a) level is getting low? Are there any quiet hissing noises from the center of the dash just after start up (with the AC on)?

Your factory glass already has a solar tint that stops most of the radiant heat that you are going to be able to stop. Added tint will mostly just reduce visible light.

I don't know........ There is a noticeable difference between my before and after tint job. When driving with the sun on my side my leg would feel warm to the touch. After tint my leg feels cool. There is also a noticeable difference in the back seat.

I don't know........ There is a noticeable difference between my before and after tint job. When driving with the sun on my side my leg would feel warm to the touch. After tint my leg feels cool. There is also a noticeable difference in the back seat.

I'll have to defer to your experience then.

Members online

No members online now.
Back